Search found 450 matches

by scraig32
04 Oct 2022, 15:59
Forum: Italian History & Culture
Topic: Baptismal Names
Replies: 9
Views: 1259

Re: Baptismal Names

I am fascinated with Italian naming traditions and the wealth of ancestral knowledge that can be learned simply by knowing someone’s full name. As I understand it, First male is named after paternal grandfather First female is named after paternal grandmother Second male is named after maternal gra...
by scraig32
04 Oct 2022, 15:54

I am fascinated with Italian naming traditions and the wealth of ancestral knowledge that can be learned simply by knowing someone’s full name. As I understand it, First male is named after paternal grandfather First female is named after paternal grandmother Second male is named after maternal gra...
by scraig32
04 Oct 2022, 00:27

by scraig32
02 Oct 2022, 04:11

In my Italian family (my maternal side), it didn't work that way. In a few cases, yes, but for the most part, at least as far back as I can research, there are an awful lot of names (both male & female) that do not repeat for several gens back (and most not at all). This includes siblings and n...
by scraig32
01 Oct 2022, 22:24

Baptismal Names

I am fascinated with Italian naming traditions and the wealth of ancestral knowledge that can be learned simply by knowing someone’s full name. As I understand it, First male is named after paternal grandfather First female is named after paternal grandmother Second male is named after maternal gran...
by scraig32
01 Oct 2022, 21:43
Topic: Symbol above church
Replies: 15
Views: 1989

Re: Symbol above church

I always appreciate suanj sharing her knowledge with us as well, and always learn a lot from her, and am really interested in what she has said here too. I love all the symbolism as well. Thank you suanj. I wasn’t quite sure what the smaller inner circle means, but on reflection, it maybe symbolize...
by scraig32
30 Sep 2022, 21:47

The "rosone" (=big rose litterally/ rose window), it have this name because seems, abt the decorations, a rose, the flower dedicated to the Madonna. The "rosone/rose window" is a decorative, structural, functional element of mostly Gothic and Romanesque churches. But in the Midd...
by scraig32
22 Sep 2022, 04:58

MarcuccioV wrote: 22 Sep 2022, 00:45 Yes, it is a trinitarian symbol. I have seen variations...
Thank you!
by scraig32
22 Sep 2022, 00:45

Hi Angela!! Thank you for your help. I was thinking it was the holy trinity as well. This church is my ancestral family chapel in Santa Ninfa- the Di Stefani Chapel located at Castello Rampinzeri.
by scraig32
21 Sep 2022, 23:52

Symbol above church

Can anyone tell me what this symbol means above the door of a church? Thank you
by scraig32
18 Nov 2021, 02:01
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Antenati- new format?
Replies: 7
Views: 1691

Antenati- new format?

I haven’t searched in a while but I just noticed that Antenati is different. I am trying to located the 10 year death indexes for Palermo but am having a hard time navigating the new (or new to me) site. Has anyone been able to find the 10 year indexes? Thank you so much! Suzanne
by scraig32
21 Oct 2021, 18:44
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Marriage Banns translation help needed
Replies: 34
Views: 5671

Re: Marriage Banns translation help needed

Thank you Pippo, Angela and cedrone!!!This has all been VERY helpful!!! I really appreciate your time on this.

Suzanne
by scraig32
21 Oct 2021, 01:58

If you put a link to this index I'll give a look (or I'll try to find it), probably there was a mistake and it was written Santa Ninfa, because the marriage act was written in the office of the Comune of Palermo. I can try to give my reply to your questions in your preceding message to Pippo. First...
by scraig32
20 Oct 2021, 21:41

This marriage promise act was written in Palermo, and on the right site I read the marriage was celebrated in Sant'Ippolito (name of the church), that is in Palermo. Santa Ninfa was the place of birth of one of the spouses. https://it.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiesa_di_Sant%27Ippolito_(Palermo) Oh this...
by scraig32
20 Oct 2021, 21:24

I think it's correct. If the processetti are in Santa Ninfa, then the marriage took place in Santa Ninfa, though I can't read the date anywhere. And it wouldn't be possible, as processetti are produced BEFORE the actual marriage promise. And in fact, the marriage is here: http://dl.antenati.san.ben...