Search found 20 matches

by elsantoro
03 Jul 2014, 00:41
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Need help figuring out S. Italy surname
Replies: 39
Views: 9177

Re: Need help figuring out S. Italy surname

Sadly, Papa passed away last week. I am forever grateful to you for finding this information and answering her questions before he passed away. He was so happy to have found where he came from! Does a list with pictures exist of Italian WWI soldiers? Attached is my Father's picture, I'd love to find...
by elsantoro
24 May 2014, 20:03

I talked to my Dad and according to him, Millie's stepfather put her in a Catholic Orphanage so I think that solves this part of the puzzle. That would make her a ward of the church and Luigi was probably one of the clergy. No wonder she married so young.... On Mildred's 1915 marriage record to Pats...
by elsantoro
23 May 2014, 06:44

Raffaella, once again a big grazie for all of your help! My Father is thrilled by what we have found - especially the marriage record for Patsy and Millie! He was called a "bastard" by his stepfather who was very cruel. To see that marriage record to confirm that he was not a bastard and t...
by elsantoro
20 May 2014, 19:01

Oh, I did miss that part! Grazie!
by elsantoro
20 May 2014, 17:49

Now I wonder if Nunziato may have died before Rosa immigrated... She was a widow when she married Antonio and it might explain why finding immigration records is so difficult. He was 43 when they married in 1898. Though I don't think a pregnant woman would have traveled alone in those days. If Sidot...
by elsantoro
20 May 2014, 08:41

Grazie for your help! I learned so much because of you and now have a picture of where my family comes from! I hope one day Vieste records go online so I can find out more about Pasquale. He died so young it would be nice to know who he was. Hi, I am sorry, but for bad luck, the Vieste civil records...
by elsantoro
19 May 2014, 21:22

Raffaella, I wonder since you are SO good at this and can read read Italian (Io capisco un po l'italiano) would you be able to find a birth record for Pasquale Santoro born 6 January 1895 Father Antonio in Vieste, Foggia? I don't know if any of his family ever came over here after he did. The names ...
by elsantoro
19 May 2014, 17:50

I missed this post last night. Amazing! Thank you! Hi, Now I know that the right surnames spelling are SIDOTI and LA TORRE; Rosa La Torre 20 old, born and resident in Roccella Valdemone, daughter of Salvatore La Torre and Giuseppa Gemma married in Roccella Valdemone on 9 Jul 1898 #7 at Nunziato Sido...
by elsantoro
19 May 2014, 11:30

Also, I will ask my Father what her birthdate was. He is 98 years old, but his mind is still very sharp.
by elsantoro
19 May 2014, 11:29

I was thinking the same thing about Memcio being Nunzio (Nuncio) It makes much more sense. I'm fairly certain she was born in 1902 because when Pasquale died in 1918 she was still under 18 which is why my Father ended up with a guardian for his money. It has been said many times that she was 13 when...
by elsantoro
19 May 2014, 01:07

I just did the math... my Dad was born November 1915 and they were married in March. Haha! Pasty was a well-known musician in Ravenna. I can picture now my teenage Grandmother being smitten.
by elsantoro
18 May 2014, 22:00

My Grandmother did say her family came from Sicily and I believe Suanj may be right about them being from Messina. I know there was a mass emigration in the late 1800s - early 1900s, then a large earthquake and tsunami in 1908 and the effects of WWII in the 1940s. Between all of those events, I imag...
by elsantoro
18 May 2014, 21:15

Isn't that sad? They notified a "friend" instead of his wife. The reason was most likely that she was a minor. Her age was flubbed on the marriage certificate so that they could get married. She was 13 when they married, 16 when he died. He left a life insurance policy with my Father as th...
by elsantoro
18 May 2014, 20:51

Oh you FOUND IT!!! I can't wait to show this to my Dad! I found Mildred marriage record: Millie Artena Sirotti, "Ohio, Marriages, 1800-1958" Name: Patsy Santoro Birth Date: Birthplace: Italy Age: Spouse's Name: Millie Artena Sirotti Spouse's Birth Date: 1899 Spouse's Birthplace: San Franci...
by elsantoro
18 May 2014, 20:50

I found a Census record for Tony and Rose and it lists a daughter, Malia age 10 in 1910. This might be Mildred! The age could be wrong or she could have fibbed about it later in life. This gives me a new direction to search. Rose married at Tony Artino just in 1913... so the 1910 census that you fo...