Search found 88 matches

by raymo
05 Aug 2010, 23:07
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: What we were taught in school
Replies: 29
Views: 20797

Re: What we were taught in school

I'm glad to see so many posts on this topic, shows how PROUD we really are, doesn't it?! Conti832, to fill in a bit...there are literally MANY MILLIONS more Italians in Latin America than here in the US. Here, we're about 5% of the total population of 300 million Americans (like 17 million, all or p...
by raymo
13 Nov 2008, 17:29
Topic: NY Sottile family might be related to author Henrik Ibsen
Replies: 40
Views: 31424

Re: NY Sottile family might be related to author Henrik Ibse

Hi Per Helge, I went to the SuperPages phone book, and a search for SOTTILE in Brooklyn, NY reveals 10 entries. It's what we Americans call a "shot in the dark", but there is no harm in trying to contact those listed by letter, since the link includes their addresses. http://www.whitepages...
by raymo
22 Sep 2008, 16:57
Topic: Looking for Ascoli in Carrara
Replies: 8
Views: 9201

Re: Looking for Ascoli in Carrara

Hi Elroy, Welcome to the forum! My surname is ASCOLI as well, but my family is from Alcamo, in Sicily, not Carrara, and since I do not recognize your wife's ancestor's names, I do not think there would be a direct connection with my family. However, I have been in contact with other Ascolis around t...
by raymo
21 Sep 2008, 14:22
Topic: East Harlem - 114th St. & 1st Avenue
Replies: 23
Views: 62166

Re: East Harlem - 114th St. & 1st Avenue

Hi KCW, You may want to ctc the church itself, to see if they have any baptismal/death/marriage records for your family. Would be a great way to put leaves on your family tree, so to speak! I'll ask my relatives about your family names & the pharmacy, I hope they'll have some anecdotes to share....
by raymo
19 Sep 2008, 18:10
Topic: East Harlem - 114th St. & 1st Avenue
Replies: 23
Views: 62166

Re: East Harlem - 114th St. & 1st Avenue

Hi KCW, I grew up on 116th & 1st Ave, & I went to Our Lady of Mt. Carmel church & grammar school, 1960s-1970s. My parents & my grandparents were married at OLMC, and I made all my Catholic sacraments there as well. My mother's family was also from East Harlem, since their emigration ...
by raymo
23 Aug 2007, 16:32
Topic: Surname STELLATO
Replies: 9
Views: 11691

Re: Surname STELLATO

Speaking of shots in the dark... Growing up in NYC in the 60s-70s, I knew a Joseph Stellato & his sister, Phyllis. They'd both be in their late 40s by now. Their mother's name was Anne, but I never met their father. Anne re-married later in life but I don't recall her surname then. May have been...
by raymo
07 Jul 2007, 13:41
Topic: Caporale family history
Replies: 15
Views: 11134

Re: Caporale family history

Hi Patti, Yes, I think you wrote me a post several yrs ago, but on another site, not this one. Pls send me a private msg & we can converse from there. At the moment, I do not have info on the siblings of my gggfather, Vincenzo, but I (we?) can work on that via the Ufficio Anagrafe in Acerra. I h...
by raymo
25 Jun 2007, 16:44
Topic: researching in Trapani
Replies: 4
Views: 6744

Re: researching in Trapani

Hi Ric, YESSSS... I could use your assistance, if it is not too much trouble! I can get you more precise info than I have right now, since I am at work & my genealogy research is at home... My grandfather was MARIANO or MARIO ASCOLI, born around 1900 in BALESTRATE. I had previously been told he ...
by raymo
13 Jan 2007, 16:05
Topic: Relationship Question
Replies: 7
Views: 5771

Re: Relationship Question

They would still be half sisters, even though they'd have arguably more genetic material - DNA - in common since their mothers were sisters. But I believe that legally, they're still half sisters,as they share the same father, but have different mothers...just as in any other case with the same desc...
by raymo
13 Jan 2007, 16:01
Topic: Birth certificate for my great grandfather from Naples
Replies: 43
Views: 53065

Re: Birth certificate for my great grandfather from Naples

Jen,

The website above for Succivo doesn't seem to work from the link, but that is the correct address. If you go to your web browser instead of using the link, it should work. It did when I tried it.

Let us know if you need any help with specific information on the site itself.

Raymo
by raymo
13 Jan 2007, 15:59
Topic: Searching for CERVINI ancestors in Sgurgola, Italy
Replies: 3
Views: 4805

Re: Searching for CERVINI ancestors in Sgurgola, Italy

Hola David,

Please let us know what information you are searching for, and we will be much better able to help you.
by raymo
11 Jan 2007, 19:27

Jen, Just checked Pagine Bianche...there are 51 Mangiacapri in the Italian White Pages, nationwide. Several are in Caserta-province towns, namely Cesa, Arzano & Marcianise - do you know of any family connections to any of these towns? None are in the town of Caserta itself, a few more are in the...
by raymo
11 Jan 2007, 19:16

Hi Jen, Don't know if it will help, but here is the web address for the Comune of Succivo, which is in Caserta province, near Naples: www.comune.succivo.ce.it. You need to be able to read Italian to get through it, but we on the forum can help! I also went to the Pagine Bianche (Italian White Pages)...
by raymo
14 Oct 2006, 09:00
Topic: Surname ASCOLI
Replies: 16
Views: 15551

Re: Surname ASCOLI

Hi JCSM, As luck would have it, I heard from my cousin in Alcamo today...she is going to try again with the Ufficio Anagrafe there, but she told me that the reason they don't have the birth record for my gfather is because he was he was born in another town, called Balestrate . They don't appear to ...
by raymo
10 Oct 2006, 23:39
Topic: Surname ASCOLI
Replies: 16
Views: 15551

Re: Surname ASCOLI

hi JCSM, THANKS VERY MUCH for all this! First of all, I had no idea that my gfather had served in WWII. I'm assuming this is his enlistment record, though, I can't be totally sure. Again, I really don't know anything about him. Why would you think that the enlistment record here would be the reason ...