Search found 79 matches

by bonval
06 Feb 2010, 09:29
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Fondi, and DeAngelis
Replies: 6
Views: 4648

Re: Fondi, and DeAngelis

Another thought - when you are ready to translate, I found copies of all the normal forms online that are translation with blanks for the names and dates - you will become very adept quickly at recognizing the information you are looking for! The forms almost always used identical formats for each t...
by bonval
06 Feb 2010, 09:25
Topic: Fondi, and DeAngelis
Views: 4648

Re: Fondi, and DeAngelis

Not sure if you knew this or not but the seat of information for Fondi is through Itri - the next town over. Parish records will be found in each local church naturally but if you want to search through FHC films, Itri is the key - all records would be written in local offices in the huge vital reco...
by bonval
03 Oct 2009, 04:09
Topic: Looking for information on Fidaleo, Ciccolella and Dibiase
Replies: 7
Views: 6917

Re: Looking for information on Fidaleo, Ciccolella and Dibia

Hi - my husband is from Itri - our best man was/is Di Biase - and we are realted several generations back to Fidaleo family also - some were also from Fondi, the next town over.
Bonnie(valentinsowife)
by bonval
21 Jun 2009, 05:24
Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
Topic: Searching the commune archives myself? (MURO LUCANO)
Replies: 1
Views: 3041

Re: Searching the commune archives myself? (MURO LUCANO)

In most instances you will NOT be allowed to search vital records - the laws in Italy regarding privacy issues are strict -- and getting more so all the time - rather expect to present yourself and make an appointment to have the person do some research for you -- and do not expect it to be done wit...
by bonval
02 Jun 2009, 21:59
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Visit to Italy
Views: 6885

Re: Visit to Italy

Julia - I am the (as I put it) 'crazy American wife' of a fantastic Italian husband! I started working on his family tree because I wanted our sons to know something about their relatives (who all live overseas). For the first eight years everyone thought I was crazy trying to do this. Then I also s...
by bonval
02 Jun 2009, 04:06
Forum: Off Topic - We don't only do Italian Genealogy
Topic: Phone Calls From Italy to US
Views: 6162

Re: Phone Calls From Italy to US

Depending on how often you want to phone home and how long you will be there, you have a couple options. We just returned this month so... we are on AT&T - even without adding the International plan that eliminates roaming, the roaming was not horrendous per se - we did maybe 3 or 4 call s of 5-...
by bonval
30 May 2009, 23:52
Topic: Peter Timber
Views: 6287

Re: Peter Timber

True - tell him he is missed by many!
by bonval
26 May 2009, 14:09
Topic: Help with Cemetary Records?
Replies: 3
Views: 4107

Re: Help with Cemetary Records?

If you phone or email the office for that cemetary, they usually have maps of where everyone is buried - that is a service they offer visitors to find graves.
by bonval
25 May 2009, 17:23
Topic: Why did these immigrants change their names???
Views: 6508

Re: Why did these immigrants change their names???

One other interesting issue - some names were changed back in Italy - few people were able to read and write - we have been doing a lot of research in Italy itself because my husband's family all are still there - the records were written by an official (the rare literate person) - he would write th...
by bonval
25 May 2009, 12:34
Topic: Obtaining Italian Stamps
Replies: 13
Views: 9420

Re: Obtaining Italian Stamps

One side note here for those working on the exchange rates - we just returned from Italy this month - for the first time we learned that due to bad rates right now and the devalue of the US dollar, one must have a minimum dollar amount or the bank will NOT exchange it - and even at over $200 US, my ...
by bonval
20 May 2009, 22:06
Topic: No return mail from Italy
Views: 5394

Re: No return mail from Italy

Hi - we just got back from Italy - we visited Itri and Campodimele - both communes declined any offers of stamped envelopes or any other form of payments - in both instances, they were THRILLED anyone from the US was tracing family - and both gave us books and such as "welcome home" gifts!...
by bonval
15 May 2009, 00:06
Topic: Family History Center Info
Replies: 27
Views: 18903

Re: Family History Center Info

:D I have to give you all our update on this issue. We just within the last couple weeks returned from 20 days in Italy. Best vacation we have ever had because we did NOTHING ... and EVERYTHING! We made this a time with family and a time of seeing the towns of the family again - and doing tons of re...
by bonval
27 Feb 2009, 22:51
Topic: Huge dilemma!
Replies: 16
Views: 15663

Re: Huge dilemma!

There were quite a few folks from Itri area of Latina, Lazio who also went to Scotland - and as you mentioned on another thread, they were farmers. Also 0 you ight think about the photo itself - it is obviously a studio print - are there any faded names on bottom or the back of the photo - you can t...
by bonval
27 Feb 2009, 22:39
Topic: Question for board
Replies: 8
Views: 7013

Re: Question for board

Hi -- I know how you feel having so many questions. My husband is from Italy but I am not of Italian descent. Yet I started on the quest in order to help our four sons (now all young adults) learn about family - they have aunts and uncles and cousins by the dozens in Italy. We since have taken a few...