Mezza family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ursulamezza
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Mezza family

Post by ursulamezza »

Hi Stuart

I noticed the name in one of your posts (you've done some great work, by the way!), but unfortunately, I have no idea who he is. I think you're right though. If your great aunt was allowed to travel to Mexico to marry him, they must have known each other and it's a safe bet his parents were from Casalattico originally.

I have a lot of trouble pinning down the Mezza side of my family, and every bit of progress is painfully slow, but I'll keep an eye out for Ernesto and let you know if I come across anything interesting.

Ursula
ursulamezza
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ursulamezza »

Hi Catcox

You don't seem to have been on the forum since your last post, but I thought I'd leave Maria Felice's details in case you log on again.

Alicandro Mezza (b. 24.02.1876 in Casalattico, d. 30.12.1935 in Dublin, brought back to Belfast to be buried) married (25.09.1899, Casalattico) Maria Antonia Cirefice (b. 27.07.1874 in Casalattico, d. 28.05.1908 in Belfast).

They had at least 4 children, possibly 6 (a set of twins I haven't yet got round to confirming as being theirs). Three lived to adulthood:

Maria Felice Mezza b. 30.07.1900, Ayrshire, Scotland, d. 26.06.1984

Domenico Mezza b. 25.05.1902, Belfast, d. 15.11.1984 - this is my grandfather

Antonio Mezza, b. 29.11.1904, Coleraine (NI), d. 17.09.1944 France (killed during WWII, but he's another story).

When their mother died, the two boys were put into a children's home and Maria Felice was sent to work with an Italian family in Scotland (I don't know which one). From what I've been told by cousins in the Forte family, she was miserable and was 'rescued' by Carmino Forte and Carmine Cafolla (apparently Carmine had a bit of thing for her). She came back to Belfast, where she and Carmine subsequently married and went on to have 8 (I think, but you'll know better than me!) children.

I haven't done any work on the Cafolla side of the family, but I can tell you that Carmine's parents were Francesco Cafolla (who apparently was interned and died during the war) and Annunsiata Cirefice (b. 15.08.1858 in Casalattico). This is where it gets interesting. Annunsiata and Maria Antonia (Maria Felice's mother) were sisters - Annunsiata being the eldest and Maria Antonia the youngest of a family of 7. That means that Carmine and Maria Felice were actually 1st cousins. It was very common for close relations to inter-marry in those days.

I have plenty more on the Cirefice side of the family and am still struggling to put together a comprehensive family tree for the Mezzas, but would be more than happy to swap what I have with you and to learn more about the Cafollas.

I'd be good to hear from you.

Ursula
lynnecirefice

cirefice family history

Post by lynnecirefice »

I am new to this website, and I have been reading all the previous posts. I myself have been digging into my family history. Cirefice
My father is still alive, and he was born in Casalattico in 1937. Came to Detroit, Mi when he was 10 years old. My grandfather's name is Francesco Cirefice born in 1891, and he married Maria Greco and they also had a daughter magedelna circ 1923-24(not exacty sure what year i will sit down with my father and ask away on certain things.But Maria Greco was born in 1900. From what history I am told both my grandparents came from large families. If you have any info on the Cirefice name I would be grateful, and I will do some digging on Mezza and Cafolla family name, we still have alot of family friends that came over to america at that same time, and maybe they might know something for me. Or if you know anyone that has similar information for me, that would be great.

Lynne Cirefice
Brighton, Michigan USA
ursulamezza
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ursulamezza »

Hi Lynne

I received your PM and have replied.

Ursula
joemezza

Post by joemezza »

Saluti!

I came across your posting and decided to comment.

My family name is Mezza and we are from Detroit, MI.
Mom & Dad were born here in America but their parents were born in Italy. My mothers family (Mastrogiovanni) is from a village somewhere outside of Rome. Before my father died, I asked him about where my grand-parents lived in Italy. He said they came from a village called Casa. I tried looking for it on the Italian map, but could never find it. So, after reading your posts here, I'm thinking it might actually be Casalattico.

My Grandfathers name was Francis Mezza and married Angelina Appolito.
They had two sons in Detroit, Michigan ...Tom Mezza & Louis Mezza

Let me know what you think about this.

Thanks,
Joe
ursulamezza
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ursulamezza »

Hi Joe

'Casa' could well be Casalattico and I know for sure that some of the Mezza family ended up settling in Detroit (from memory, I think I tracked a Livio Mezza to there) and others certainly spent time there (including my great uncle Lorenzo Mezza).

Do you have any more details on your Grandfather, Francis (is he actually Francesco)? From what you've said he was born in Italy, but do you have a date of birth, who his parents were? Any siblings? Did he marry there or in America? More than happy to have a look at the information I've gathered to try and connect him.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Ursula
Bea Buck

Post by Bea Buck »

Dear All, was really glad to find you all here. I am Bernice Yolanda Buck nee' O'Connell my mother is Concetta Cafolla daughter of Maria Felice Mezza (my Nan) Maria & Carmine did have 8 girls and 2 boys. Netta, Angelo (RIP birth), Nancy, Sheila, Yolanda, Concetta, Francis, Rose, Patricia & Leo. Have been trying to track down my Great Grans Maria Antonia's Cirefice Birth certificate as she was so young when she passed away.

Ursula - Domenico Mezza is my great Uncle! Good to meet you.
ursulamezza
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ursulamezza »

Hi Bea

So sorry for the delay in responding, but equally good to meet you.
I 'know' you in theory from research Paul Mathews has done!!

I don't have Maria Antonia's birth certificate, but her date of birth is accurate (based on other Italian records) which I can send you. Have a look here: http://gw5.geneanet.org/ursulamezza_f?l ... n=cirefice and you can also search to see other family.

Send me a private message with your e mail address and we can swap info.

Best wishes

Ursula
Marialuciamezza

Post by Marialuciamezza »

I am one of 5 daughters born to Lucia Maria Mezza (married to Peter Joeseph Forrester ) My mother's parents' were Maria and Guisseppe
Mezza. Came to Belfast from Casallattico They died a year or so apart
very young-- They had 2 boys and 3 daughters :
Alfonso (Alfie) Pasquale (Patsy}
Rosalina.(Rosaleen) Lucia, Justina,(Chrissie)
Had a cafe/ice cream bar at Bellevue in 1920s
Then a cafe at #37 Grosvenor Road Belfast.
If all this interests you let me know and I will reply.
I am Pauline Lucia Forrester. I live in British Columbia .
Hope to hear from you Bye/ Buon Giorno .
ursulamezza
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ursulamezza »

Hi Pauline

Lovely to hear from you and, yes, I know who your family are - I've previously been in touch with another relative of yours who is the granddaughter of your mother's brother, Alfonso. She lives in Sligo, Ireland.

Your great, great, great, great grandfather was Nicola Mezza, whose brother Giuseppe Mezza was, I believe, my own GGG grandfather (frustratingly, I can't prove it, as there's an issue confirming Giuseppe as father to my GGGF, Gioacchino Mezza), but in any case we are most certainly related!

I'd love to fill in all the blanks in the family tree and share information, so please keep in touch or send me a private message with your email address and I'll contact you that way.

Best wishes

Ursula
Paul Mathews

Post by Paul Mathews »

Lucia, and Ursula. Am too Mezza lol, thanx 2nd Cousin Ursula, n drat my computer inexperience (sorry Lucia), may I get into this pm conversation?? Lucia, my Cuz Ursula has done major work into our Mezza. If not for her, I would have NEVER known xxxx
LivioMezza

Post by LivioMezza »

I just stumbled on this website and these posts caught my attention. I am Livio Mezza. I was born in Casalattico in 1950 and immigrated to Detroit MI in January 1954. My father was Domenico E. Mezza who was born in Edinburgh Scotland in 1922 and died in 2011. He came to Detroit in 1952. My mother is Mariaantonia Mezza (DiLucia) who was born in Casalattico in 1927 and is living in the Detroit area today. My paternal grandfather was Livio Mezza who was born in 1885. I am not sure of his birthplace. He imigrated to the U.S. twice the second time for Edinbugh Scotland around 1926. The second time he came to the U.S. he came to Detroit where he worked for Ford Motor Company until 1936. He returned to Casalattico after suffering a stroke and died in 1936. When he obtained his U.S. citizenship his name was recorded as "Olivio". His wife was Orsala Mezza (Nota). She returned to Casalattico after my grandfather came to the U.S. I don't know the year. She died there in 1952.

I have very little information about the Mezza family beyond that but would like to learn more.
ursulamezza
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ursulamezza »

Hi Livio

So great to hear from you, particularly as we are related!

I need to confirm this, but I believe your Great Great Great Great Grandfather, Nicola Mezza, and my GGG Grandfather, Giuseppe Mezza, were brothers.

I have been piecing together the Mezza connections for a long time and am more than happy to share all the information I and others have gathered. I'll contact you again tomorrow when I've had time to look at who's who and check my facts.

Look forward to 'talking' to you.

Ursula
ursulamezza
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ursulamezza »

Hi again Livio and apologies for the long delay in responding.

I hope the following will be helpful:

Domenico Mezza b ca 1748 m Luigia Matassa b ca 1753

Their son Nicola Mezza, b 13 June 1784, m Pacifica Marsella, b 19 Dec 1790

Nicola and Pacifica had quite a few children, one of whom was Domenico Mezza, b 23 April 1814. He married Annarosa Nardone.

Domenico Mezza and Annarosa had 4 children that I know, one of whom was Nicola, b 26 June 1840. He married Albina Taddei, and together they had 10 children that I know of, one of whom was Livio Mezza, b ca 1885, who married Ursula Nota.

Livio and Ursula had Domenico in Scotland in 1922 and the rest you know and I don't!!

There is at least one other connection between us via Albina Taddei, whose great grandfather, Vittorio Taddei is also my GGGG Grandfather (his great granddaughter was Maria Felice di Lucia who married my GG Grandfather, Gioacchino Mezza. Gioachhino's father was Giuseppe Mezza, brother to your Nicola born 1784. And of course, your mother is also a di Lucia, so probably a connection there too if you go back far enough!).

Those are just the direct connections and there's loads more to see if you search for me on www.geneanet.org, where you can view it all for yourself.

Look forward to hearing from you - and given that you're in Detroit, you might be able to help me find another long-lost Mezza whose last known whereabouts was your city in 1918!

Best wishes

Ursula
LivioMezza

Post by LivioMezza »

That is fasinating. I would bet we are related on my mother's side as well. I will follow up on the website.

There were some others named Mezza that lived in Detroit. My father always referred to them as distant cousins. He never really socialized with them. I know there was a Nicola Mezza who was about my dad's age (around 90 today) and a Maria Mezza who was maybe 10 to 15 years old. There is a Robert Mezza who is my age who is now living in Tennessee. Let me know if I can help you track down this long lost Mezza.