Surname: Maimone Need Help/Suggestions With Manifest

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Surname: Maimone Need Help/Suggestions With Manifest

Post by maestra36 »

[quote="DebiHarbuck"] I was mostly wondering what the law and/or prevailing custom was. Seems like, again, this record doesn't conform.

Debi
If only the mother recognized the child, but the father did not, then he would not be named, but the child would be given the mother's surname. I can't say it was the law, but it certainly appears to be the way things were done based on the hundreds of civil records I have seen from the mainland of Italy and Sicily.
Peg
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Tricia
Happy to hear you are familiar with family history centers and can search for the birth record on microfilm. This type of research is certainly addictive and, it's an addiction which never ends.
Peg
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I am curious...what does the notation in the right-hand column of the second page of the birth act say?

Debi to answer your question it says:

"verified in this day 23 September of the year 1869 in Santangelo". Then it is signed "The Pretore" with his signature (which I can't read) below that.

A pretore was a magistrate or lower court judge. I am not sure what the purpose of the notation was. Possibly someone like Livio can answer that question.

Peg
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

On a second look, I think it says Santarcangelo.
TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Post by TriciaFierro »

Thanks to Debi I was able to pull some more records for the Maimone family, thank you, Debi! :D

Unfortunately I am unable to read the majority of this marriage record. 8O
Is someone able to translate it for me and relay any pertinent info. All I can make out is Prospero Maimone and Stella Orientale as her maiden name.

http://o.mfcreative.com/f1/file00/objec ... 423b-0.jpg

Thank you!
- Tricia
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

I hope so, too! If someone doesn't come along this morning, you might try posting it over in the translation thread.

Here's my stab at it (and, bear in mind) I speak/read NO Italian and am slowly teaching myself to translate the pertinent words on these records:

Date: looks like November 26th. Groom: Prospero, son of Antonio & Stella (??) but there is a notation above Stella's name here. Bride's name also looks like Stella Orientale to me, and both of her parents are listed as "ignoto" (unknown). Towards the bottom, the notation I mentioned appears and it says something about Maria Rosa La Vigne...maybe an error was made and the bride's name was mistakenly written where Prospero's mother's name should have been?
Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata
TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Post by TriciaFierro »

Thanks, Debi! I found the translation thread AFTER I posted it to this one. I did post Stella's birth record there and Peg was able to translate some of it so far. It's quite interesting because it appears that she was an abandoned baby. So if you haven't read it yet you can find it on the translation forum under "Requesting Translation for Birth Record Surname: Orientale". Since you are teaching yourself to translate a little bit I thought you might want to check it out :)
- Tricia
Tricia Fierro
Surnames of Interest: Fierro, Castiello, DiPersio, D'Elia, Maimone, laVigna, Marano, leVigne, Panzone, Ruccio, D'Orta, Capuozzo-Capozzi, Calamita, Venditto, Chicchella
Ancestors From: Montecalvo Irpino, Roccanova, Villa Oliveti
TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Post by TriciaFierro »

Is it odd that Maria Rosa leVigne's father was listed as Luigi but no mother was listed? And I don't believe it states "ignoto" anywhere either. I found Luigi's death record and it notes that he was married to Carmella Di Pierro and I found Carmella's death record which notes she was the widow of Luigi le Vigne so I am trying to piece together whether or not Carmella was Maria Rosa's mother or just a wife of Luigi. I ordered the microfilms from FHC so I will be able to go back further in the civil records than I can online with Ancestry but just wondered if it was odd that no mother was mentioned in the birth act for the mother's mother? thanks for your input! :)
Tricia Fierro
Surnames of Interest: Fierro, Castiello, DiPersio, D'Elia, Maimone, laVigna, Marano, leVigne, Panzone, Ruccio, D'Orta, Capuozzo-Capozzi, Calamita, Venditto, Chicchella
Ancestors From: Montecalvo Irpino, Roccanova, Villa Oliveti