Vizzaccaro Etymology

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
21 posts • Page 2 of 21, 2

Re: Vizzaccaro Etymology

Postby ptimber » 30 Sep 2004, 08:52

Dear whatever I took a swing thru ther 1400's (last nbames developed in earnest about 1200) and there is oddly enough no Vizzi or Vizza as a surname by itself or as prefix to a surname. Oddly enough the only thing close is, as you know, (?) Vizzini and that is exclusively Sicilian in oriign even though the surname has spread to the north as might be expected. My premature instincts in the matter of Vizzaccara lead me to conslude that itis imported. I will continue to search as time permits. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Postby vineviz » 30 Sep 2004, 16:46

ptimber wrote:I took a swing thru ther 1400's (last nbames developed in earnest about 1200) and there is oddly enough no Vizzi or Vizza as a surname by itself or as prefix to a surname.

Interesting. Do you mind me asking what resource you consulted re: surnames in the 1400s? Is it a fairly comprehensive list?
vineviz
Rookie
Rookie

Postby ptimber » 30 Sep 2004, 18:29

There are a variety of wensites that have surnames incidental to the subject matter that are listed for one reason or another. I will try to select one that is interesting and send it to you by private message. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Postby ptimber » 01 Oct 2004, 05:40

.... My hiunch is that it has Portuguese/Spanish connections. This is mere speculation and has no merit in serious determinations. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Postby harrisline » 20 Mar 2007, 03:06

The etymology of Vizzaccaro is probably not be found in Italy. Most likely, a Norman family brought the name with them to Italy from Flanders or Normandy.

From DNA research, it appears the family is among many branches descended from de Bailleul in Flanders. If so, the family originates with the Crispin family descended from Godfrey de Brionne. One branch of the family may have settled Vassy in lower Normandy. The family was then among the many Norman families looking for wealth in Southern Italy.

Apparently, this group is looking for something that sounds like Vizzi. Will someone kindly explain why Vizzi is the base and what the caro portion means as I am not familiar with Italian naming conventions.

Cheers,
Michael
harrisline

Postby pgvizza » 13 Jun 2013, 19:32

As far as I know the Vizza family is from Calabria and many still live there. I have located through Ancestry.com and other sources many family members. I would really like to find the origin of the name and find some real information on the ones I have now.
pgvizza

Previous

21 posts • Page 2 of 21, 2

Return to Italian Genealogy