Pasqualina... how to find a child without a known father?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
19 posts • Page 2 of 21, 2

Re: Pasqualina... how to find a child without a known father

Postby suanj » 18 Aug 2013, 07:16

by LDS center in or nearby your residence's town, you can order and rent the microfilms of Roggiano Gravina civil records:
Registri dello stato civile di Roggiano Gravina (Cosenza), 1809-1910
Births, marriages, banns, marriage documents, deaths.
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby dominique426 » 18 Aug 2013, 08:02

suanj wrote:by LDS center in or nearby your residence's town, you can order and rent the microfilms of Roggiano Gravina civil records:
Registri dello stato civile di Roggiano Gravina (Cosenza), 1809-1910
Births, marriages, banns, marriage documents, deaths.
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library
suanj

Thank you. I will definitely do that!

As for Raffaele, do you think this is likely his wife? I thought maybe if I found him on the census, I might find some other helpful clues.

Name: Alosia L. Capparelli
[Alosia L. Bavasso]
Birth Date: 14 Apr 1861
Birth Place: Altomonte, Italy
Death Date: 23 Dec 1923
Death Place: Chicago, Cook, Illinois
Burial Date: 26 Dec 1923
Cemetery Name: Mt. Carmel
Death Age: 62
Race: White
Marital Status: M
Residence: Chicago, Cook, Illinois
Father Name: Michele Bavasso
Father Birth Place: Altomonte, Italy
Mother Name: Pasqualina Fregole
Mother Birth Place: Altomonte, Italy
Spouse Name: Raffaele Capparelli
FHL Film Number: 1877424
FAMILY SURNAMES: Sessa, Apuzzo, Merenda, Fisicaro, Bloise, Esposito, Costanzo, Ferrigno, Letiziano, Tomasetta, Covollo, Lerardi, Ferrigno, Barbella, Capparelli
dominique426
Veteran
Veteran

Postby suanj » 02 Nov 2013, 18:21

suanj wrote:
dominique426 wrote:Hi,

I have been trying to track Pasqualina ______ (surname unknown) my grandmother's sister for many months. I always assumed she took her mother's surname MERENDA. However, I recently discovered my grandmother Mary's baptism record as well as birth record that had information on Pasqualina's mother.

BAPTISM RECORD HERE: http://postimg.org/image/wh27l69dt/

I am know assuming that Pasqualina was not out of wedlock as I figured, but possibly a legitimate child. However I'm not sure. I don't understand why Maria (or Giuseppina?? I am unsure now of Pasqualina's mom's real name) used two names.

The earliest I can track Pasqualina's mother is in Chicago, IL 1910 on her marriage record to ANTONIO BLOISE and on the census. There is no mention of Pasqualina on the census. I've also checked Antonio's parents home incase she may have lived with them... once again, no Pasqualina.

I do have her naturalization card below which is why I assume she's born in Italy- her mother is from Roggiano Gravina, Cosenza, Italy. However it doesn't look like the other naturalization papers that I've seen. It's just a card. The name LETIZIANO is her married name.

NATURALIZATION RECORD: http://postimg.org/image/igyifj6yv/

Is there anyway to find her? I don't know if 1908 is the right birth year for her. I don't even have a confirmed birth year for her.... all I know is her first name is Pasqualina. There's no trace of her anywhere. I am truly curious who her father was and if she were born in Italy. If I could find something on Pasqualina, it would answer a lot of questions about my ggg grandmother's mother life in Italy.

I really don't know what to do. :?

Hi,
I know not if can help,
but I believe that Pasqualina last name was Capparelli, 1 old, daughter of Maria Giuseppa Merenda Capparelli both born in Altomonte and no Roggiano Gravina; both imm. in 1909 and joining at uncle Raffaele Capparelli in Chicago IL:

Boston Passenger and Crew Lists, 1820-1943 about M Guiseppa Merenda Morelli
Name: M Guiseppa Merenda Morelli ( Maria Giuseppa Merenda Capparelli)
Arrival Date: 25 Nov 1909
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1888
Ethnic Background: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ship Name: Romanic
Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachusetts
Friend's Name: Capporelli Raffaele
Last Residence: Italy
Birthplace: Altomante, Italy

pag 1 Image

http://s17.postimg.org/bb835xtfz/Boston ... iseppa.jpg

pag 2 Image

http://s16.postimg.org/9sjyc4wed/Boston ... 0_1943.jpg

your suggestions?
suanj

on the ship's manifest Maria Giuseppa Merenda Capparelli was widow... I checked in the death records abt the Capparelli decesead from 1907 to 1909 ( that because Pasqualina born in jan 1908 and the father must be decesead around 1907 to 1909) and I found just a possible death record:
Altomonte 24 Nov 1908 #43
Michele CAPPARELLI single age 23 born in San Sosti, resident in Altomonte, son of Raffaele CAPPARELLI and of Luisa ( o Eloisa)Maria Livia BAVASSO...
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1529369132

the birth act of Cesare Michele Capparelli in San Sosti born on 7 Feb 1885 #19, son of Raffaele Capparelli 43 old, proprietor and of Maria Eloisa Livia Bavasso..
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... n408775496
Eloisa Bavasso Capparelli died in Chicago IL
[Alosia L. Bavasso]

I checked the marriage banns in Altomonte from 1905 to 1909 and no records for a Capparelli and Maria Giuseppa Merenda...
So.. :
I believe that this Cesare Michele could be the partner of Maria Giuseppa and they had the little Pasqualina... Maria Giuseppa declared himself widow... but she no married in Altoonte and it is hard to think that Raffaele Capparelli was a uncle as she declared on the ship's manifest...
I believe that Raffaele was the "father in law" of Maria Giuseppa but no the uncle ..

if my idea is right that could be explain why Pasqualina birth record is no in Altomonte (I checked in many years of birth);
Pasqualina was no born in Altomonte surely.. no with Capparelli surname, no with Merenda surname no with other surname...
maybe she was born with Merenda surname in some Commune near Altomonte...
just my opinion...
regards,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby dominique426 » 05 Nov 2013, 02:50

on the ship's manifest Maria Giuseppa Merenda Capparelli was widow... I checked in the death records abt the Capparelli decesead from 1907 to 1909 ( that because Pasqualina born in jan 1908 and the father must be decesead around 1907 to 1909) and I found just a possible death record:
Altomonte 24 Nov 1908 #43
Michele CAPPARELLI single age 23 born in San Sosti, resident in Altomonte, son of Raffaele CAPPARELLI and of Luisa ( o Eloisa)Maria Livia BAVASSO...
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1529369132

the birth act of Cesare Michele Capparelli in San Sosti born on 7 Feb 1885 #19, son of Raffaele Capparelli 43 old, proprietor and of Maria Eloisa Livia Bavasso..
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... n408775496
Eloisa Bavasso Capparelli died in Chicago IL
[Alosia L. Bavasso]

I checked the marriage banns in Altomonte from 1905 to 1909 and no records for a Capparelli and Maria Giuseppa Merenda...
So.. :
I believe that this Cesare Michele could be the partner of Maria Giuseppa and they had the little Pasqualina... Maria Giuseppa declared himself widow... but she no married in Altoonte and it is hard to think that Raffaele Capparelli was a uncle as she declared on the ship's manifest...
I believe that Raffaele was the "father in law" of Maria Giuseppa but no the uncle ..

if my idea is right that could be explain why Pasqualina birth record is no in Altomonte (I checked in many years of birth);
Pasqualina was no born in Altomonte surely.. no with Capparelli surname, no with Merenda surname no with other surname...
maybe she was born with Merenda surname in some Commune near Altomonte...
just my opinion...
regards,
suanj

Hi Sunaj!

Thank you beyond words for this... I have been trying to get the Roggiano Gravina microfilms from the LDS but they're currently out on loan so I have to wait. The only information I was able to get on Maria is her on the 1910 Chicago census and my grandmother Maria's information.

Name: Maria Domenica Broise
Birth Date: 17 Dec 1910
Birthplace: Chicago
Father's Name: Antonia Broise
Father's Birthplace: Sansusto, Italy
Father's Age: 37
Mother's Name: Maria Giuseppi Murendi
Mother's Birthplace: Rugiano, Italy
Mother's Age: 23
Christening Date:
Christening Place:
Paternal Grandfather's Name:
Paternal Grandmother's Name:
Maternal Grandfather's Name:
Maternal Grandmother's Name:
Informant's Name (Original):
Death Date:
Digital Folder Number: 4298158
Image Number: 00597
Reference ID: 3222

After I had made this post, I found this ship arrival:

http://interactive.ancestry.com/2892/32 ... turnRecord

I tried to save the image to post it, but it wouldn't save... I'm sorry. This is definitely my grandmother Maria's brother but I can't confirm if this is my grandmother because she and her sister had the same name and there's no little Pasqualina with her. If it weren't for there being no Pasqualina, I'd would say it was my grandmother. On every census, it states that Pasqualina was born in Italy, and she even filed for naturalization so she must have been born in Italy.

I was told by her daughter that Maria was born 2/12/1888... I have no documentation about Maria's birthday so I cannot confirm or deny that. I tried searching for a Maria Merenda born on that day without any luck...

It is so hard trying to find her. I am confused if her first name was even Maria. When my grandmother Maria gets married to my grandfather Antonio, she lists her name as Giuseppina and not Maria:

Name: Antonio Brois
Titles and Terms:
Race (Original):
Race:
Birth Year (Estimated): 1876
Birth Date: 1876
Birthplace:
Spouse's Name: Guiseppina Miranda
Spouse's Titles and Terms:
Spouse's Race (Original):
Spouse's Race:
Spouse's Age: 22
Spouse's Birth Year (Estimated): 1888
Spouse's Birth Date: 1888
Spouse's Birthplace:
License Type: Marriage
Event Date: 14 Mar 1910
Event Place: Chicago, Cook, Illinois
Marriage Intention Date:
Marriage Intention Place:
Father's Name:
Father's Titles and Terms:
Mother's Name:
Mother's Titles and Terms:
Spouse's Father's Name:
Spouse's Father's Titles and Terms:
Spouse's Mother's Name:
Spouse's Mother's Titles and Terms:
Marital Status:
Previous Wife's Name:
Spouse's Marital Status:
Spouse's Previous Husband's Name:
Paternal Grandfather's Name:
Paternal Grandmother's Name:
Maternal Grandfather's Name:
Maternal Grandmother's Name:
Spouse's Paternal Grandfather's Name:
Spouse's Paternal Grandmother's Name:
Spouse's Maternal Grandfather's Name:
Spouse's Maternal Grandmother's Name:
Additional Relatives:
GS Film number: 1030475
Frame Number:
Digital Folder Number: 4271197
Image Number: 89
Reference ID: 529884

And then on my grandmother's baptism record, Maria states her name is MARIA BOLPIARBO (with GIUSEPPINA MIRANDA) underneath of that name.... now I guess that might mean she was married before as a Bolpiarbo? I am so unsure....

http://postimg.org/image/wh27l69dt/
FAMILY SURNAMES: Sessa, Apuzzo, Merenda, Fisicaro, Bloise, Esposito, Costanzo, Ferrigno, Letiziano, Tomasetta, Covollo, Lerardi, Ferrigno, Barbella, Capparelli
dominique426
Veteran
Veteran

Previous

19 posts • Page 2 of 21, 2

Return to Italian Genealogy