PRISONER OF WAR - LINCOLNSHIRE

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
21 posts • Page 2 of 21, 2

Re: PRISONER OF WAR - LINCOLNSHIRE

Postby Roy Tasker » 27 Feb 2014, 13:07

I have had a reply from the Red Cross in Geneva however not good news, they are unable to carry out any investigation without a Family name and (or) the exact POW camp number. It is possible that the camp number was POW 30 but that is just a guess! Back to the drawing board it seems. :cry:
Roy Tasker

Postby Roy Tasker » 13 Mar 2014, 13:09

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Roy Tasker

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 13 Mar 2014, 20:23

Roy Tasker wrote:I have had a reply from the Red Cross in Geneva however not good news, they are unable to carry out any investigation without a Family name and (or) the exact POW camp number. It is possible that the camp number was POW 30 but that is just a guess! Back to the drawing board it seems. :cry:

Hi Roy

I read this 27 Feb post when you wrote it and was somewhat perplexed because I followed up on Camp 30 and there were two mentioned, one was in London and the other slightly further away. They just seemed too far away from Lincolnshire – about 4 hours away if I recall. Maybe you are saying that he started out at Camp 30 and then transferred to a hostel/camp in Lincolnshire? The camp that Suanj mentioned – Camp 80 - was the closest to Digby and sounded like a good option at the time. I think if it was me, for now, I would do a bit more research then choose the most likely camp and ask the Red Cross to do a follow up. Going by your post here it seems that they will do an investigation on just the POW camp which is a plus.

Someone else more experienced with this might have better ideas. There are also some really helpful and encouraging posts to do with POWs here on IG – you may have already read through these. Very frustrating, I'm sure - I'll keep thinking about it.

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Postby Roy Tasker » 25 Mar 2014, 13:15

Thank you Angela, my mistake I meant to say camp 80 & not 30! I will give the Red Cross another shot but I understand the service is halted for about two years due to modernisation?
Roy Tasker

Postby AngelaGrace56 » 25 Mar 2014, 22:15

Roy Tasker wrote:Thank you Angela, my mistake I meant to say camp 80 & not 30! I will give the Red Cross another shot but I understand the service is halted for about two years due to modernisation?

It is certainly worth a try. If you read the following:
Red Cross Announcement: http://www.icrc.org/eng/resources/docum ... ld-war.htm

it says towards the end: “While the conservation and scanning project is under way, however, it will be difficult to respond to research requests. This service will therefore be temporarily suspended, barring a few exceptions.”

We'll hope and pray that you are one of the exceptions.

Thanks for coming back to the forum. Keep us posted.

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Postby suanj » 06 Jul 2014, 17:44

I know that is no perfectly pertaining to this topic
but abt Italian POWs in WWII (just of italian AIR Force) detained in UK and USA
here are the names and birthyears ( each POW's file is in the archive of italian AIR FORCE )

http://www.aeronautica.difesa.it/storia ... lenchi.pdf
in each Pow file are the follow infos:

Have been reported in the table "main Profile":

• name and surname of the holder (POW);

• year of birth, if missing or illegible indicated by "0";

• military rank at the time of arrest;

• Membership Unit, as indicated on the arrest report or otherwise drafted by the documents and reported in discursive manner; for operating Units is been indicated the place at the time of war's operations, just in cases where the peculiarity was missing or was missing additional identification elements, for support Units was always indicated the city or the basic airport;

• militarized civilian personnel, any civil institution from which it depended and, if present, the location of support;

• place of arrest;

• prison camp;

• the Commission's view and note the integration to judgement.

http://www.aeronautica.difesa.it/storia ... ne_pow.pdf

I don't know if I translated very well, hoping understandable...
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Previous

21 posts • Page 2 of 21, 2

Return to Italian Genealogy