new to genealogy, help!?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
34 posts • Page 2 of 31, 2, 3

Re: new to genealogy, help!?

Postby mmaressa » 09 Nov 2005, 03:27

My cousin found this forum, we are Biancones from Riverside NJ. I'm interested in finding out more about Laura and if she was able to get more information on Ettore, my great grand father.
mmaressa

Postby alari » 09 Nov 2005, 03:49

Good Luck!! :lol:
alari

Postby ricbru » 09 Nov 2005, 04:08

mmaressa wrote:My cousin found this forum, we are Biancones from Riverside NJ. I'm interested in finding out more about Laura and if she was able to get more information on Ettore, my great grand father.

Hello,
you should give us more infos, like names, date and place of birth, marriage and death, immigrants records, or any other kind of info with more details.
bye ricbru
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby HMar » 05 Apr 2006, 04:36

I am the cousin referred to earlier in the conversation. Honestly, most of the information I have was found here, and on the Ellis Island website. I know that our great-grandfather, Ettore Biancone, came from the Abruzzi region. My grandmother, his daughter, told me that he was the youngest of 18 children but was the only one who came to the States. So I would assume there is a lot of family still in Italy.

He initially settled in Wayne, PA before moving to Riverside, NJ. His wife was Josephine, and he had 8 children who survived, and two who passed away as infants. He owned a tailorshop in Riverside, which three of his sons later ran.

The Ellis Island manifest seems to be his as his father's name was Antonio and the dates all seem to make sense.
HMar

Postby HMar » 05 Apr 2006, 05:01

Actually, he had nine children and four of the sons ran the shop, for what it's worth.
HMar

Postby kappra » 29 Apr 2006, 23:58

Ettore Biancone was my grandfather. I was amazed to find all of this information (while talking to my mom on the phone, and she confirmed all of the information as being correct.) However, what I noticed later was that my grandfather, and my mom's family, who are Biancones, was originally listed as Ettore Biancani. It seems he changed his name, or it was changed at some point after he arrived. How can I find out more about that?
kappra

Postby jancrowe » 30 Apr 2006, 00:37

Laura;

You have some good people looking out for you here
they are the best bunch you will ever find they worked diligently and doggedly for me and mine and we found who we were looking for in about three weeks.

My prayers are with you
Janice
jancrowe
Veteran
Veteran

Postby wldspirit » 30 Apr 2006, 03:56

Is there a previous post to which you are referencing? If so please post so that we may know what research has been done........
wldspirit
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby kappra » 01 May 2006, 02:47

Name: Ettore Biancone
Age in 1910: 22
Estimated birth year: abt 1888
Home in 1910: Radnor Twp, Delaware, Pennsylvania

Race: White
Series: T624
Roll: 1340
Part: 1
Page: 262A
Year: 1910

Here is the 1920 Census information

Name: Ettore D Biancone
Estimated birth year: abt 1887
Birthplace: Italy
Home in 1920: Riverside, Burlington, New Jersey
Roll: T625_1021
Page: 5A
ED: 103
Image: 859

This is could be Ettore coming through Ellis Island. It's a two page manifest. It states he left his father, Antonio in Tonicella and was going to go to Philadelphia.

First Name: Ettore
Last Name: Biancani
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Tonicella, Teramo
Date of Arrival: September 03, 1907
Age at Arrival: 21y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Luisiana
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0028

Page 1 of Manifest
www.ellisisland.org/se...0686%2ETIF

Page 2 of Manifest
www.ellisisland.org/se...0686%2ETIF

This is the research I'm referring to. My mother's side of the family are the Biancones. But it seems that when my grandfather came from Italy his name was listed as Biancani. I'm sure this was him because all of the pieces fit. However, I'm wondering if this was his name and he changed it at some point, or if it was misspelled on the ship manifest. How can I find out what his original name really was? My mom didn't seem too surprised that her father could have been a Biancani, but didn't offer any help in confirming that he may have changed his name. Is there a way I can find out if Biancanis or Biancones are from Terumo, because that is where he is from.
Thanks,
Rick
kappra

Postby jcsm400 » 01 May 2006, 08:57

An i for an e, a for an o, etc. etc. Spellings just changed. Humans wrote the information & they spelt it the way it sounded to them. You may find both spellings in the Italian records, but most likely Bianconi.

Hope this helps.

jcsm :)
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby wldspirit » 01 May 2006, 09:58

Have you pulled any US records? According to the census he was naturalized before 1930, start with the naturalization records as this may list more info.
wldspirit
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby brujaojos » 01 May 2006, 19:19

Hi There,

Ibelieve your Bianconi/Biancone Family is from Torricella Sicura, Teramo, Abruzzi, Italy. This was obtained by the clues that you gave us in the previous posts, (you mentioned Teramo, Abruzzi, and Torricella).

Now if this is the correct town, then the Family History Center does have microfilm for the town that you can order and rent. It costs $5.75 a roll and you can view the birth, marriage, and death acts of your ancestors.

Here is the link for the film numbers.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... =1&last=50

Here is the link to find the nearest Family History Center.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

However, like Wildspirt stated, do you have the naturalization records for Ettore? This could state where he was from in Italy.

Do you have Ettore's death certificate? This could prove whether or not his father is Antonio as per the Ship's manifest.

I hope this is of some help to you.
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 01 May 2006, 23:35

This is could be Ettore coming through Ellis Island. It's a two page manifest. It states he left his father, Antonio in Tonicella and was going to go to Philadelphia.

First Name: Ettore
Last Name: Biancani
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Tonicella, Teramo
Date of Arrival: September 03, 1907
Age at Arrival: 21y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Luisiana
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0028

ettore joining to Luciano brother... Luciano came the first time in 1903, joining Stefano Di Carlo

andthe second time in 1909 and joining to Ettore Bianconi

the contact in Italy is Marta Cicero(?) wife

but 4 year after, Luciano came again for 3° time: and joining Anna Biancone sister
the birthplace is wrote Teramo( the province really) but the wife is the same: Marta

by this last ship's manifest now we know that also had a Anna sister; Anna came in USA in 1904 and joining Stefano Di Carlo husband...

hoping helpful... however for civil records request you can send a email

torricellasiccomune @ virgilio.it NO SPACES
fax +39 0861 554037
or address

Servizi Demografici
Piazza Mario Capuani
64010 Torricella Sicura (TE)
Italy

regards, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby brujaojos » 02 May 2006, 01:47

Hi again,

Suanj, that was all great clues, however, I do have to say that Lucarano did not make the second trip in 1909 for his name is crossed out. This means he either never made the trip or he was sent back. However, the manifest still has great clues on it.
and the second time in 1909 and joining to Ettore Bianconi
the contact in Italy is Marta Cicero(?) wife

I also found this information.

This is the WWI Draft Card
Name: Ettore Demostine Biancone
City: Not Stated
County: Chester
State: Pennsylvania
Birth Date: 16 Aug 1886
Race: Caucasian
Roll: 1877857
DraftBoard: 3

Here is the 1930 Census. It states he was already Naturalized.

Name: Eltroe Biancone
Estimated birth year: abt 1887
Relation to head-of-house: Head
Spouse's Name: Josephine Biancone
Home in 1930: Riverside, Burlington, New Jersey
Image source: Year: 1930; Census Place: Riverside, Burlington, New Jersey; Roll: 1319; Page: 7A; Enumeration District: 65; Image: 213.0

Since Ettore was in NJ by 1920, there is a good chance his naturalization records are there for he already Petitioned by 1920.

I hope this helps some more.
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby kappra » 02 May 2006, 02:32

Thanks everybody for all of the help. My original question as to my grandfather's real name was solved (I think) by the discovery of Luciano. Since his name was spelled Biancone 4 times on the Ellis Island records (though they misspelled his first name once), it's pretty clear that my grandfather probably didn't change his name and it was just misspelled when he came over. Luciano was a tailor (according to the records) as was my grandfather. I've never heard of Luciano though, so I'm going to have to ask mom. I'll see what records we have on Ettore, maybe naturalization papers, or anything else to see what other information I can get, but for now, I think my mother is the best source.

Rick
kappra

PreviousNext

34 posts • Page 2 of 31, 2, 3

Return to Italian Genealogy