Info on DiGeronimo's.... Help me find the missing link

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ddiger

Re: Info on DiGeronimo's.... Help me find the missing l

Post by ddiger »

Information Confirmed ...these are my two uncles Nice JOB!!!
Back to my grandfather (Angelo DiGeronimo Sr.)
The Possible reason I missed it before...If you look at the Ellis Island
Ship Manifest.......IS THIS possible!!
The spelling of the last name(n & m reversed) is wrong & the wrong sex???
Again, what is the chance it's him? The age does match though, & his fathers name.......still very confused.

I have the info on my aunts & uncle & my father...so I'm not to interested in any more of their info..My grandparents & before is really what I'm after..

Thanks for your help....Greatly Appreciated!!!
-ddiger
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

I provided the records on the sons only in the hope that it may lead to other records.....Angelo Sr. is still the main man...... :lol:

At what point did the family end up in New York? Have you searched for Naturalization info on either Angelo or Christina??
VaDeb just made an excellent summary on the information that can be found in a FOIA request......

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
ddiger

Post by ddiger »

One more thing before I forget is that ship manifest ship it was to land in MA
Any clue where to find MA ship manifest or arrival documents? Or would they be the same as the original?
-ddiger
ddiger

Post by ddiger »

Angelo DiGeronimo eludes me again....

??????????????????????????????????????
-ddiger
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

ddiger wrote:One more thing before I forget is that ship manifest ship it was to land in MA
Any clue where to find MA ship manifest or arrival documents? Or would they be the same as the original?
His final destination was Massachusetts but he entered via Ellis Island and likey took a train to MA.

I believe the manifest listed previously is your grandfather's and that his last name was a typo (note the position of the n and m on your keyboard) and that listing his sex as a female was a careless error. My grandmother and her sister were listed as Felice and Francesco (should have been Felicia and Francesca) with sex recorded as males when they came to the US as 4 and 5 year olds with their mother in 1899.

Interesting to note Angelo's occupation on the manifest is a mason which is the same as Giuseppe and Peter DiGeronimo's as shown in the 1930 census when they were living in a two family home in Montclair.

I'll keep trying to see if I can find Angelo in the 1930 census.
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi ddiger,

I've been going over this thread & at first thought that Angelo DiGeronimo b. in Lacedonia, province of Avellino (per posted manifest) was incorrect....Thought he should be from same province, if not same town, as his wife, Christina, who was born in Rocchetta Sant'Antonio, province of Foggia, but the two towns are only 3.9 miles from each other.

At this stage, I think the question I would have is, "Is this the correct manifest for your Angelo Digeronimo?" .......You can hopefully confirm his town of birth several ways: 1. Obtain the complete marriage record.....Most important part is the marriage application. If performed in a church, obtain that record, too; 2. Obtain birth records & church records for the birth & baptism of all his children; 3. Obtain his SS application.

This is only my suggestion...........Hope it helps.

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
ddiger

Post by ddiger »

You guys are unbelievable....Great work so far!! Thanks

While we are still focusing on Angelo DiGeronimo can we start looking into his father and grandfather...may lead to his actually info.

Angelo's father was Vincent(Vincenzo) DiGeronimo
We think his mothers name was Antoniette both of Italy never came to US
Lived in Lacedonia, Provincia Avellino
Angelo definitely had 2 brothers : Joseph & Peter, who both came to US.

We are pretty certain Vincent's fathers name was Joseph.
-ddiger
ddiger

Post by ddiger »

Confirmed that the ship manifest from Ellis island is in fact that of my grandfather..
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 8&fromEI=1
My father confirmed that his father was in fact a Mason. He had 2 Brothers Joseph & Peter..

He was a veteran in the Italian Army(??) I don't know if he ever filed for naturalization. I found proof that my grandmother filed ( i have a petition number) no date of certificate.

I found a listing of a marriage certificate that my grandfather filed in Manhattan,NY..I'm going to order those records.

Very informative past couple of weeks..as I post in my previous post... i am now interested in going further back...any clue on where to start??
-ddiger
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

With the ship manifest confirmed, we know that Angelo's father was Vincenzo and that Angelo was born in Lacedonia. We also know the name of Angelo's uncle, Antonio Cardellicchio who lived in Natick, MA and that he was a mason.

Now go back to Angelo's ship manifest and check line 16--Giusseppe Attamante going to join uncle Vincenzo Cardellicchio, Bloomfield Ave, Monclair NY (has to be NJ since there is no Bloomfield Ave in Montclair NY).

And check line 9--Pietro Protano going to join uncle Giuseppe Giannetti in Springfield, MA. Interesting to say the least since these other two passengers are also from Lacedonia. Looks like we might have found a few more people who belong in your family tree somewhere.

For details about the LDS microfilms for checking Lacedonia records, see jcsm400's post on the first page about obtaining microfilm copies of civil records which cover the period from 1809-1910
ddiger

Post by ddiger »

Where Antonio Cardellicchio comes into play nobody has a clue.. Nobodies ever heard of relatives by that name or live in MA. I'll keep digging on that one.

I also noticed line 16...How many Cardellicchio could there be??
I may start a topic on that family..may lead to something.

I hadn't noticed line 9 pertaining to the Giannetti's.. I'll have to go back & take another look...The only Giannetti's I Know of are Antonio, Cristina(found 2 references of her name being Maria Cristina), Angela & Pompey

Now I'm looking into Joseph & Peter DiGeronimo's Immigration records or Ship Manifest records...may lead to more info on their fathers or mothers background or ties to some of these new names

Great find!!
-ddiger
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Giuseppe DiGeronimo Ship Manifest from 1920
Born Lacedonia
Nearest relative in Italy, wife Clotilde (checks with 1930 census)
Going to Natick, MA to join uncle Nicola Pellillo
Occupation Mason
Previously in the US in 1912

Page 1

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 0911%2ETIF

Page 2

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 0313120387

Pietro DiGeronimo 1920 Manifest
Born Lacedonia
Nearest relative in Italy, wife Anna (checks with 1930 census)
Going to Fitchburg MA to join cousin Antonio Di Scrovino or Serovino
Occupation mason
Previously in US
Page 1

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0790%2ETIF

Page 2

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 2874050084

There's another Pietro Di Geronimo, also a mason from Lacedonia on the manifest. Also note the other people on the manifest from Lacedonia going to Massachusetts and Montclair, NJ including a Cardellicchio.

Giuseppe and Pietro's previous ship manifests might verify father's name as Vincenzo if they were single when they first came to the US. The manifests might be harder to find since they probably were handwritten rather than typed.
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Thought I'd check a little more on the Cardellicchios. Found the following which is of interest.

WWI Draft Registration card for Vincenzo Cardellicchio
Address 407 Bloomfield Ave, Montclair NJ
Occupation, Contractor
Wife, Sarah Gianetti Cardellicchio
Naturalized, no place of birth shown
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Thought I would link the WW1 Draft Registration Cards for Vincenzo Cardellicchio. :D
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
ddiger

Post by ddiger »

I did a search on google "surname Cardellicchio" I found this site in the top 5.

http://www.lacedonia.com/genealogie%20l ... /index.htm

Its a Small Genealogy page for Lacedonia & its mostly in Italian..
It seems that the Cardellicchio & Giannetti families were connected in Lacedonia.

There are alot of leads here for anybody intereseted..

Unbeleviable was the first post from Giannetta from Natick, MA

Also:I found this interesting.. pertaining to the 1930 Census
While my Grandmother (Cristina Giannetti DiGeronimo) was in the Hospital in NJ during the time of the census...
It seems my Uncle(Her Son) Vincent age 4 9/12 month old was staying with His Uncle Joesph.

Would that explain why Angelo DiGeronimo not in any of the census records??
-ddiger
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

ddiger wrote: Also:I found this interesting.. pertaining to the 1930 Census
While my Grandmother (Cristina Giannetti DiGeronimo) was in the Hospital in NJ during the time of the census...
It seems my Uncle(Her Son) Vincent age 4 9/12 month old was staying with His Uncle Joesph.

Would that explain why Angelo DiGeronimo not in any of the census records??
I'm not sure it's the same Vincent. If your uncle Vincent, son of Angelo, was born in 1924, the age of 4 9/12 doesn't match. It might be the Italian naming convention coming into play again. Likewise, the relationship to head of house on the census states son, not nephew.