Engagement ring--is this an Italian custom?

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
26 posts • Page 2 of 21, 2

Re: Engagement ring--is this an Italian custom?

Postby carinthiangirl » 07 Dec 2009, 18:25

Aha, interesting the changing of words. :o)
now, think also the same all over the world. some do it and some not.
think no difference by italians. if enough money and love there will be a ring,
if not.....so not. :o)

in german called VERLOBUNGSRING:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verlobungsring
some pictures showing the variety:
http://images.google.at/images?client=f ... a=N&tab=wi
User avatar
carinthiangirl
Veteran
Veteran
 
Posts: 111
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 13:50

Re: Engagement ring--is this an Italian custom?

Postby johnnyonthespot » 07 Dec 2009, 18:31

carinthiangirl wrote:Aha, interesting the changing of words. :o)
now, think also the same all over the world. some do it and some not.
think no difference by italians. if enough money and love there will be a ring,
if not.....so not. :o)

in german called VERLOBUNGSRING:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verlobungsring
some pictures showing the variety:
http://images.google.at/images?client=f ... a=N&tab=wi


Speaking of customs, seems to me I recall the last time I was in Italy that engagement rings were worn on the right hand ... or was it a different finger (different from what we do in the US) on the left hand? I don't remember the specifics, but do remember discussing it with my wife.
User avatar
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master
 
Posts: 5229
Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Engagement ring--is this an Italian custom?

Postby carinthiangirl » 07 Dec 2009, 22:07

yes, it´s very different in the countries in Europe. very confusing often. some wear the ring right side, other left side. :? the german link for Verlobungsring
shows for Germany the left side and changes at marriage to right side. but in modern times most don´t do the "Verlobung". i´m not sure but think - i have relatives in northern Italy - that they do it just in the other way - from right to left, but not sure....
User avatar
carinthiangirl
Veteran
Veteran
 
Posts: 111
Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 13:50

Re: Engagement ring--is this an Italian custom?

Postby PeterTimber » 07 Dec 2009, 22:31

Dear Carintiangirl but does it meanthe man does not have to take out the garbage? =Peter=
~Peter~
User avatar
PeterTimber
Master
Master
 
Posts: 6739
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 19:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: Engagement ring--is this an Italian custom?

Postby liviomoreno » 08 Dec 2009, 08:06

johnnyonthespot wrote:Speaking of customs, seems to me I recall the last time I was in Italy that engagement rings were worn on the right hand ... or was it a different finger (different from what we do in the US) on the left hand? I don't remember the specifics, but do remember discussing it with my wife.


In Italy you wear it on the left ring-finger and you move it to the right hand when you get married.
User avatar
liviomoreno
Master
Master
 
Posts: 4020
Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 01:00
Location: Rome, Italy

Re: Engagement ring--is this an Italian custom?

Postby johnnyonthespot » 08 Dec 2009, 13:30

liviomoreno wrote:
johnnyonthespot wrote:Speaking of customs, seems to me I recall the last time I was in Italy that engagement rings were worn on the right hand ... or was it a different finger (different from what we do in the US) on the left hand? I don't remember the specifics, but do remember discussing it with my wife.


In Italy you wear it on the left ring-finger and you move it to the right hand when you get married.


Hmmm... Does the engagement ring ("anello di fidanzamento") move to the right hand so that the wedding band/ring (fede nunziale?) may be worn in its place on the left hand?

Here in the US, both rings are worn on the same finger (the ring finger of the left hand), with the wedding ring placed first ("closer to the heart" is the expression, I believe).
User avatar
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master
 
Posts: 5229
Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Engagement ring--is this an Italian custom?

Postby PepperEvans » 12 Dec 2009, 02:46

Most Italian men would give their girlfriends something that is associated with her life. So you can give her birthstone. That would be sweet.
User avatar
PepperEvans
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 12 Dec 2009, 02:15

Re: Engagement ring--is this an Italian custom?

Postby PeterTimber » 12 Dec 2009, 14:57

The big thing here in NYC is the diamond engagement ring and the most coveted diamond is the "hearts of Fire" which is the most perfect of diamonds. It is an absolute sparkler and equally more expensive. One carat goes for about $10,000 these days. =

Usually birthstones are for casual gifts for children and grown ups on their birthdays. I do recall that when I was a student in Italy many years ago it was gold necklaces, bracelets and rings with or without a diamond and the gold was always 18 Carats. =Peter=
~Peter~
User avatar
PeterTimber
Master
Master
 
Posts: 6739
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 19:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: Engagement ring--is this an Italian custom?

Postby leearnold » 04 Jan 2014, 09:33

Italian women love jewelry, but there is a superstition that says a bride should not wear any gold on her wedding day until the groom gives her the wedding band. The Italians thought that diamonds ensured a pleasant marriage and kept a couples' love alive. This lore made the diamond even more popular near the end of the Middle Ages.
leearnold
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 04 Jan 2014, 09:10

Re: Engagement ring--is this an Italian custom?

Postby sandiegojewelry12 » 20 Jun 2014, 15:38

As a family owned business we offer the best prices on Custom Diamond Engagement Ring, Certified Loose Diamonds, Wedding Bands, Luxury Watch & Gold Jewelry.
sandiegojewelry12
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 20 Jun 2014, 15:37

Re: Engagement ring--is this an Italian custom?

Postby jennabet » 21 Jun 2014, 20:04

leearnold wrote:Italian women love jewelry, but there is a superstition that says a bride should not wear any gold on her wedding day until the groom gives her the wedding band. The Italians thought that diamonds ensured a pleasant marriage and kept a couples' love alive. This lore made the diamond even more popular near the end of the Middle Ages.


I think you're confusing Italian culture with some other culture. Diamonds are gaudy. Most Italians with their impeccable class and style don't wear diamonds. Anyway, diamonds are a scam that unfortunately, Americans continue to fall for.
jennabet
Master
Master
 
Posts: 865
Joined: 14 Jul 2010, 20:28
Location: Ancestral Homeland - Abruzzo Italy

Previous

26 posts • Page 2 of 21, 2

Return to Italian History & Culture

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron

Copyright © 2014. www.ItalianGenealogy.com.