Please help with USA Naturalization Question

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
16 posts • Page 2 of 21, 2

Re: Please help with USA Naturalization Question

Postby jhscanio » 16 Apr 2012, 05:02

mler wrote:Ii won't argue the point with you, jennabet, because I believe this is an area open to interpretation. It may be a good idea for mhscanio to contact the consulate again for clarification.

If you do so, mhscanio, please post again and let us know what's they tell you. There is a considerable difference between a one month and a three year residency; and as jennabet has noted, the three year naturalization process does not permit you to work in Italy, which can make matters very difficult.

The consular agent who's dealing with my husband's case stated he was an Italian citizen at one point but lost it when his father became naturalized in the USA while he was a minor. They also did say that he can reacquire his citizenship by completing a declaration in their office in the USA and establishing residency in Italy within one year from the date he signed the declaration. They already gave him an appointment to complete the declaration this year and we will be making our way to Italy next year.

When we asked how long we would need to reside in Italy she said that it depends on the length of time that the comune takes, a few days to some months.

She concluded by saying that if we are not staying long term I won't need to get a visa as I am American and can stay for up to three months.

When my husband goes for his appointment we will be able to get all the final details. Thanks for all the feedback!
jhscanio

Previous

16 posts • Page 2 of 21, 2

Return to Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship