Correct Pronunciation.....

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Correct Pronunciation.....

Post by AmyT »

BASTA!

What really bothers me is that you all care so much about each other to trade the insults, reminds me of brothers living under the same roof!

If you find information wrong, then correct it. Trading the insults while your correcting each other then saying how rude someone is for being insulting is just silly and hypocritical.

Gosh.. my 8 year old knows that much.
Image 'If you never open doors to let anyone in, no one can get in, but neither can you get out.'
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

because the word bionde dopes not exist in the dictionary but to create it and pronounce it you have to follow italianpronunciation which means that Bionde is opronounced BEE-YOHN-DEH and is tio my mind a nickname. Chaos, panic and disorder- my work is done here. Peter
DeliBoy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DeliBoy »

Biondo = masculine singular
Bionda = feminine singular
Biondi = masculine plural
Bionde = feminine plural

But so what?

If this were a reference to the man, why would it be plural?

If it were a reference to his hair, capelli, fair enough, biondi. (In Italian, we talk of a mass of hair in the plural rather than singular).

But it could just as easily be a reference to the twists in his hair - trecce in which case bionde would be right. Not a very masculine hair do, but it serves David Beckham all right.

The point is, other than Peter's unwillingness to admit his error, I see no reason to doubt Wldspirit's original report.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

HEY LADY you sound like my MUDDAH!!!!!!!....Amy how do you post an inquiry on the forum? I have never posted any and I have just received a notice from my antiquarianbook dealer in Bologna about a book recently uncovered about SicilianNobility 1647 to 1670. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

HEY LADY you sound like my MUDDAH!!!!!!!....Amy how do you post an inquiry on the forum? I have never posted any and I have just received a notice from my antiquarianbook dealer in Bologna about a book recently uncovered about SicilianNobility 1647 to 1670. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

BIONDE dopes not exist as a word in the dictionary only BIONDO. If you wish to pronounce this aberration then it is BEE-YOHN-DEH in Italian. Peter
DeliBoy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DeliBoy »

because the word bionde dopes not exist in the dictionary
So when Lucio Battisti sang:

"Le bionde trecce gli occhi azzurri e poi"

He just made up a brand new word.
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AmyT »

I am A mother.. thats what happens..

I'll Pm you.

This should be more of a spirited debate and less boring than the pissing contest.
Image 'If you never open doors to let anyone in, no one can get in, but neither can you get out.'
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AmyT »

I can settle all of this and simply ask my teacher tonight when I have class.

She has only been in the states for like 5 years, and used to be a grammar teacher in Italy. I hope to be able to assume she will know what she is saying.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

You cannot assume anything but anyway I am off to the Beach.The sun finally broke thru all that rain and the waves are glorious I am told. The temperature is in the 70'S. seee you guys tonight. Peter
DeliBoy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DeliBoy »

Sorry Peter, I didn't see you throwing the towel in earlier:

Wldspirit:
I was recently told that my nonno's nickname was "Bionde".

Peter:
Bionde is opronounced BEE-YOHN-DEH and is tio my mind a nickname.
I think we finally agree.
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AmyT »

STOP THE PRESSES!!!

oh and Peter... refer to my new sig :lol: :P
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

:I can if I want to sounds like an excellent bromide for people to ponder. It is like poetry in that it conveys in few words complex thoughts and ideas of redemption and life. Peter
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AmyT »

Ever the philosopher!!!
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AmyT »

wldspirit wrote:I was recently told that my nonno's nickname was "Bionde".
Since this info came in written form I was wondering what the
correct pronunciation would be?

wldspirit
Wldspirit, I'm not even sure that you care anymore, but I have an answer from my Italian teacher. She says phonetically it sounds like beyond in english, with a 'deah' sound at the end of it. This maybe just beating the dead horse, and I apologize in advance if thats the case. I just wanted you to know what she said. For your personal reference she used to teach Italian in Italy.

Buonenotte,

Amy