Why are Southern Italians darker than Northern Italians?

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
49 posts • Page 4 of 41, 2, 3, 4

Re: Why are Southern Italians darker than Northern Italians?

Postby MoonlightSkywriter » 23 Aug 2012, 00:38

Squigy its like me saying if I am an eggplant then why is my color purple instead of brown. The southern region used to belong to Africa and Sicilians were once attached to Africa years ago, their skin color is naturally darker brown due to the sun and the culture where my family comes from we are all Olive complextion vs my cousins who live in Milano which their skin color is pure white like snow, they do not get the vitamin D like we get here, and that we stay out alot and do alot of things in the sun, outdoors. Vs those who stay inside alot

I am proud of my color... if god wanted me to be totally white he would have dropped diamonds on the ground for me to go out and pick them up.
MoonlightSkywriter

Postby 113yearslater » 21 Apr 2014, 18:20

It's an everything influence, really. Africa, Vikings, Greece ... everyone invaded southern Italy and left their DNA there at one point or another. My dad was very dark, my mom has Snow White coloring (blue-black hair before it went grey and porcelain skin). Her mom had grey eyes. All of us siblings are somewhere in the middle. My oldest brother lived in Saudi Arabia for a while and when he walked into a little shop once and spoke English, he was told, "Stop showing off, Masri (Egyptian). Speak Arabic." I used to get weird looks from the Sudanese guys at college because I was walking around with my hair showing and they could have sworn I was one of them.

And one of my cousins, just as southern Italian as me (more so actually since her maternal side was from Campania and mine is Abruzzese), had blue eyes and blond hair and was once told by a schoolteacher one time to go home and ask her parents if she was really Italian. It's all a big mishmash.
113yearslater
Rookie
Rookie

Postby carubia » 12 Jun 2014, 10:42

Southern Italians vary a lot in coloring. My mother's ancestors are 100% Sicilian, yet most of them are very white. My GM's sisters were so white they were practically translucent, while my GF's father had blue eyes and was called "Tedescu" ("German" in Sicilian). My mother had reddish hair, hazel eyes, freckles, and sunburned easily, as if she were Irish.
carubia
Elite
Elite

Postby crystalblue » 21 Jun 2014, 02:46

My family is also from Southern Italy (Calabria and Sicily). While somewhat dark skinned, many in my family have light green eyes. It would be interesting to know where their ancestors came from originally. Maybe one day I will be able to get a DNA test.
crystalblue

Previous

49 posts • Page 4 of 41, 2, 3, 4

Return to Off Topic - We don't only do Italian Genealogy