Domenico Valente

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
marie2261

Domenico Valente

Post by marie2261 »

Hi,
I am trying to figure out how to obtain a birth certificate for my great grandfather, Domenico Valente. I know this name is as common as John Smith in the USA! I have obtained a copy of his naturalization records, and although they are extremely bad copies, I can see that he was born May 8, 1884 in Villa Latina, Italy. He came to the USA on the Princess Irene. I have no idea how to begin to search for this. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! :?
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Domenico Valente

Post by ptimber »

Civil records on Microfilm at the family history library of the Mormon church nearest your home only go up to 1865 so you will have to write to the Ufficio di Stato Civil;e, Comune di Villa Latina, Posxtal 03040, Provincia Frosinone, Lazio region in Italian (form letters www.circolocalabrese.org) and send $5.00 for Stamps in cash if you wish or some postal coupons but not checks or moneyh orders. The service is free but request from overseas are last in the priority and are end of day things to do. Peter
marie2261

Post by marie2261 »

Thanks for the information. I'll try it!

Is this enough information though? Would it make their search easier if I could include the exact date of birth and his parents names? (If so, how is that translated?)

Also, in the form letter is a statement about his spouse's name and the year they were married. I found their marriage certificate that stated they were married in Camden, New Jersey. Does that make a difference?

You said to send $5 in cash...Is US cash ok?

Thanks for your patience!
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Well of course the date of birth and other info is vital. The form letters will guide you. If you have trouble get back to me. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

US marriage in seeking documents from Italy is not necessary and you can either include a $5.00 bill or send a postal coupon if you wish. Write out the month and the numbers will speak for themselves. The service is free but written requests are last thing for them to do at end of day. Peter
mkrugle

Post by mkrugle »

:D :D :D
Peter,
Thank you so much for this information! I just received my great grandfathers birth information from Villa Latina. It took less than a month for a reply.
Only one question I have though...His christian name is listed as Domenico Secondino. Any idea what his middle name might equivalent to?
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

iT IS DERIVED FROM lATIN sECUNDUS AND MEANS SECOND CHILD. pETER