Attorneys

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Attorneys

Post by Donald66 »

Has anyone heard of a US attorney that specializes in Italian Dual Citizenship applications?
frattlaw
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Attorneys

Post by frattlaw »

I am an attorney that is working on this myself so I can relocate to Italy. Once there I plan on assisting others in obtaining their citizenship. Unfortunately I am still learning the process. But I can see how confusing and frustrating this process is.

If anyone else knows one I would like that information as well.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Unfortunately, being an attorney does not really help when you are dealing with jure sanguinis applications. As fratlaw reports, this is a confusing and often frustrating process, but the process is the same for lawyers and non-lawyers. Do your research, and you'll be fine.

Many have already been through the process (including me :) ) who will be happy to answer any questions you may have. It is a straightforward process. You get the documents; you correct discrepancies (here a lawyer may be helpful in some states), and you apply. Best of luck.
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Donald66 »

Unbelieveable!!! 8O :D :D

My sister found a lawyer in the Pittsburgh area that handles Italian Dual Citizenship!!

www.regolilaw.com
frattlaw
Rookie
Rookie

Post by frattlaw »

Donald66 wrote:Unbelieveable!!! 8O :D :D

My sister found a lawyer in the Pittsburgh area that handles Italian Dual Citizenship!!

www.regolilaw.com
Interesting... he probably went through it himself and decided to start offering help to others. If it isnt too expensive it might be worth while. Let us know his fees. My friend is an immigration attorney here in LA and I know he usually charges about $5000 for help with getting a green card.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Remember, though, you are dealing with Italian law, not U.S. law. A U.S. attorney can certainly help you with immigration matters re the U.S., but as fratlaw notes, he probably went through the process himself and is now offering to help others. Anyone who has gone through the process would be equally knowledgeable. A JD degree doesn't really help at all.

The costs associated with gathering documents, correcting discrepancies, obtaining translations, etc., can get very high. It would be a shame to add to that cost when the information you need is already available for free. May I suggest you post any questions on a dedicated Italian citizenship forum such as: www.italiancitizenship.freeforums.org or www.italylink.com
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The firm www.myfamily.com has attorneys on board to assist italian citizenship acquisiiton. There is a law office in San francisco that is also well known not only for Italian citizenship but land and moenhy inheritances as well. The law firm is S.J. Alioto, attorney, San Francisco, CA. =Peter=
~Peter~
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Donald66 »

We're spreading the cost over 7 people, so 5,000.00 isnt that bad.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

$0 is even better. Is your case that complex? I think my total costs were about $500, and that included a legal change of name, which I also was able to do without a lawyer. (I actually spent a bit more, only because I ordered duplicate documents and apostilles for my own records and an extra set for my daughter just in case.)

There's nothing really complex about the jure sanguinis process. It's really not that daunting. Ultimately, it's all about obtaining records and apostilles, most of which can be done by mail. And remember, when you walk into the consulate, you do it alone.

If you do find that one of your documents needs to be amended, and it was issued in a state that makes amendments difficult, that's when a lawyer may be helpful. But ordering documents and obtaining apostilles is not a legal specialty.
teddi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by teddi »

PeterTimber wrote: There is a law office in San francisco that is also well known not only for Italian citizenship but land and moenhy inheritances as well. The law firm is S.J. Alioto, attorney, San Francisco, CA. =Peter=
They're not actually a law firm nor attorneys- more like para-legals. I asked them- they are not licensed to practice law. They research deeds etc for actual licensed attorneys.

Try Expats in Italy Citizenship forum.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

That makes sense. If you need someone to do the research for you, they can probably do it, but $5000 is a lot of money if all they will be doing is requesting documents.
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Donald66 »

Family members feel an attorney will make the process move along faster and without a hitch. You know us Calabrese! 8)
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Donald 66 99% of attorneys give the rest a bad name....

There is a firm in Chicago who will quote you and do the same work and they have experience from what I gather (I reside in NY). Go to www.icapbridging2worlds.com/default.aspx

If you are Calabrese then you know what "Ca nesshun'e fessa" means . Ask themfor a quote.. but they won;t know (the same as an attorney will not know) if there are any inherent problems amongst the 7 that have to be sorted out and less likely to squeeze more money out of you. =Peter=
~Peter~
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Peter is right. It's difficult to give a quote because until they receive the documents, they will not know if there are any issues.

Unless your attorney has an "in" with the consulate, he will not be able to push your application to the front of the line.

Actually my daughter is an attorney, but she could not do anything I couldn't do; and she didn't. :D Peter, my daughter would agree with those statistics. She doesn't have a very high opinion of those in her profession. :(

Seriously, though, if you really think you need legal help, you should find an Italian attorney. American law schools do teach immigration law, but the focus is obviously on U.S. immigration.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I oversaw too many attorneys join their clients in "remorse".=Peter=
~Peter~