Do I qualify for dual citizenship? What are the rules?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Filipe_Ghirardello

Do I qualify for dual citizenship? What are the rules?

Post by Filipe_Ghirardello »

Hello, I´m trying to gather as much info as I can, but unfortunately it´s not easy..

My question is the most popular: "Do I qualify for dual citizenship?"

My GGfather imigrated from Italy to Brazil back in 1888 or so, along with his parents and brothers.
My GGfather (Bortolo Ghirardello) got married and bear my Gfather IN BRAZIL (Bortolo Ghirardello Filho), and then my GFather got married and bear my mom.

Do we have to get my mom's dual citizenship prior to my own? Do we qualify or not? What are the rules?

Thank´s in advance.
Filipe Ghirardello
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Do I qualify for dual citizenship? What are the rules?

Post by PeterTimber »

There is a commercial firm dealing with Italian dual nationality in Chicago who I found to be very responsive.
Their website is www.icapbridging2worlds.com/default.aspx and there is another website with attorney involvement I believe at www.myitalianfamily.com

Hope this helps. ==Peter=
~Peter~
Steverino3006
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Steverino3006 »

PeterTimber wrote:There is a commercial firm dealing with Italian dual nationality in Chicago who I found to be very responsive.
Their website is www.icapbridging2worlds.com/default.aspx and there is another website with attorney involvement I believe at www.myitalianfamily.com

Hope this helps. ==Peter=
Why do you point him in the direction of a costly alternative?

You can check out your local Italian Conulate for information.

Here is a link to the relevant info on the San Francisco Consulates website; there is much more free info available on the web.

http://www.conssanfrancisco.esteri.it/N ... ZIONI1.doc
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Steverino I agree with you 100% inthat asking if your qualified presumes that the company may want your business and will answer your questions as to eligibility free of charge in anticipation of being hired. That makes good business sense and if they ask for money to answer precise questions they are not worth consulting further.

Determining eligibility is sufficiently homogeneous so that run of the mill quesitons at free sites may be the way to go but not knowing if your "run of the mill" may alter researching strategies. =Peter=
~Peter~
Granadabuenosaires
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Granadabuenosaires »

It´s my understanding that if Bortolo was not naturlized before your grandfather was born(Voted) that you most likely can apply
Steverino3006
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Steverino3006 »

Filipe_Ghirardello wrote:Hello, I´m trying to gather as much info as I can, but unfortunately it´s not easy..

My question is the most popular: "Do I qualify for dual citizenship?"

My GGfather imigrated from Italy to Brazil back in 1888 or so, along with his parents and brothers.
My GGfather (Bortolo Ghirardello) got married and bear my Gfather IN BRAZIL (Bortolo Ghirardello Filho), and then my GFather got married and bear my mom.

Do we have to get my mom's dual citizenship prior to my own? Do we qualify or not? What are the rules?

Thank´s in advance.
Filipe Ghirardello

I'm no expert, but

1. you do not have to get your mom recognized as a dual citizen prior to your own recognition.

2. if you were born before January 1, 1948 (I think) you cannot acquire dual citizenship through your mom.

3. I am assuming Brazil is a country in which citizenship is acquired by birth.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Steverino would you consider this matter a "run of the mill" question concerning Italian dual nationality that the inquirer can rely on when submitting an application? =Peter=
~Peter~
Steverino3006
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Steverino3006 »

PeterTimber wrote:Dear Steverino would you consider this matter a "run of the mill" question concerning Italian dual nationality that the inquirer can rely on when submitting an application? =Peter=
yes, it seems so.

I have seen a lot of good info on the free sites for not-so-run-of-the-mill situations as well.
Granadabuenosaires
Rookie
Rookie

If the case is indeed GGFather - Grandfather - Mother - You, it´s cut of date is 1948 for the mother
Filipe_Ghirardello

Post by Filipe_Ghirardello »

Well, thank's for the replies so far, I've also been looking on tons of websites (brazilian and non-brazilian) and crossing all the info I came up with the following understanding:

I looked into the brazilian naturalization website and it seems (for them) that my GGFather has never naturalized brazilian up to date. My mom was born after 1948 (1953 to be more precise). Therefor I would be elegible to dual-citizenship.

The only answer I haven´t got (because there are different info in the websites) is wether I have to get my mom's citizenship prior to mine, or if I can get straight my own citizenship. The difference is that my mom is currently living in a different country, so it would be less difficult if I could get my citizenship and not hers.

ps.: what does the "run-of-the-mill" expression means??
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

"run of the mill" means something that is ordinary without anything exceptional to set it apart.. =Peter=
~Peter~
Granadabuenosaires
Rookie
Rookie

Start with getting an apointment for you at your nearest consulate and for her at her nearest consulate and work things out in the mean time
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Filipe you might wish to ask these people a question or two and ask them if they would do so with out charge. www.luigipaiano.com/eng =Peter=
~Peter~
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

You can most definitely apply for citizenship without your mom having to do so first. I applied three years ago through my GF, F. Although my father is living, he did not want to apply. You simply need to have her complete a Declaration of Living Ascendent and take it to the consulate with your other documents. This declaration demonstrates your mother's eligibility, and, therefore, your own eligibility. Her documents will be filed at the comune, but her citizenship will not be recognized unless she submits her own application.

If you have any other questions, you may want to post them as they come up, either here or on www.italiancitizenship.freeforums.org I'm sure there will be someone on one or both forums who will be able to answer your questions.
alecdmurray

Post by alecdmurray »

Filipe, where did you search online for Brazilian Naturalization? I am looking to see if my GGF naturalized (from Italy) or not. The only way I have seen to research this is sending a letter to Brasilia.
Thanks for any info...