naming question

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
fredoniapeaches
Rookie
Rookie

naming question

Post by fredoniapeaches »

was it common to name twins with the same first name and a different middle name... or is just my crazy family? I have twin great great aunts... Maria Lucia and Maria Carmina.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: naming question

Post by suanj »

it is common....
regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
BethW
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BethW »

And, at least as far as the name Maria is concerned, it's not just twins. My GG-grandfather's sisters were Maria Pasquala, Maria Concetta, Maria Grazia, Bambina Maria, and Maria Antonia (and, just for good measure, his wife was named Maria Fedela, and their only daughter was Maria Carmela).
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

BethW wrote:And, at least as far as the name Maria is concerned, it's not just twins. My GG-grandfather's sisters were Maria Pasquala, Maria Concetta, Maria Grazia, Bambina Maria, and Maria Antonia (and, just for good measure, his wife was named Maria Fedela, and their only daughter was Maria Carmela).
In my family they named two of their daughter's (who were born a few years apart) Rose. They called the older one big Rosie, and the younger little Rosie.
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

BethW wrote:And, at least as far as the name Maria is concerned, it's not just twins. My GG-grandfather's sisters were Maria Pasquala, Maria Concetta, Maria Grazia, Bambina Maria, and Maria Antonia (and, just for good measure, his wife was named Maria Fedela, and their only daughter was Maria Carmela).
Please consider that in Italy we do not have a middle name, so "Maria Grazia", "Maria Benedetta" and so on is the given name. In some cases the name is written as a single word such as Mariagrazia.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

You all might wish to consult Italian Naming Traditions by going to
www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/italiannaming.html and become familiar with the subject matter. =Peter=
~Peter~