Immigration records for Angelo Taibi

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lolauren

Immigration records for Angelo Taibi

Post by lolauren »

I cannot find immigration records for an ancestor.

Angelo Taibi was born on Mar 22, 1881 in Racalmuto, Agrigento, Sicily. He married Angela Cannizzaro of Licata, Agrigento, Sicily on Apr 26, 1908. They had a son named Angelo Paul who was born Jan 29, 1909.

He immigrated to Niagara Falls, NY before his wife and son to start a new life for them. His son wrote a story about his dad which said Angelo immigrated in Nov, 1910. All other records say circa 1911, so that could likely be a correct date.

Angelo's brother, Francesco, immigrated Jul 30, 1912. He was going to join Angelo in "Buffalo." (I am guessing this was a mistake but who knows.) Francesco's family followed in Feb 1913 going to Niagara Falls. Angelo's family didn't immigrate until Oct 1920 because WWI stopped travel and they couldn't earlier.

By Sept 1918, the families are in Niagara Falls. In 1918, Angelo and Frank's family are at 323 12th St.. In 1920, at 243 12th St.

There is another Angelo Taibi who was born Feb 12 1879 in Italy who lived in Buffalo. He had a brother named Matteo. I can find his immigration record. I know this is definitely not my guy since both Angelos have WWI draft cards that help differentiate them.

Any one able to find anything on Angelo born 1881 of Racalmuto who immigrated circa Nov 1910?
Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Immigration records for Angelo Taibi

Post by Biff83 »

Here's a possible, see line 5

Name: Angelo Caibi (Taibi)
Arrival Date: 8 Mar 1910
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1882
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ship Name: Cretic
Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachusetts
Friend's Name: Brother Gaspare in Brooklyn
Nearest relative in Italy: wife Angela
Birthplace: Recalundo (Racalmuto), Italy

Page 1
Page 2

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
lolauren

Post by lolauren »

Biff--- WOW. I think that is it... everything seems to fit, except I didn't know of that brother at all..... That's very exciting. :)

Since he is traveling with a group from Licata (which is where he supposedly last lived with his wife's family,) but he was born in Racalmuto... I'd say it's definitely him.

Thank you so much!!!!

As for the brother's name.... Gaspare? anything else that can be? I'll look for some Gaspare's to see :)
lolauren

Post by lolauren »

The only Gaspare I can find is Gaspare Taibbi (with two Bs)... He shows up in 1920 and again in 1930, he is a bricklayer in Brooklyn listed as "Jasper" with a wife named Florence (which, I believe, is Providenza/Providence in Italian.) They married in King county, NY on July 22 1912 (Gaspare Taibbi b. Apr 16 1886 and Providenza Guida b Oct 15 1893.) They had a daughter Rose, son Joseph and son Salvatore.

Gaspare appears to have a brother named Biagio from his immigration record. Biagio married Grazia Massaro.

However, these brothers are from PALERMO according to their immigration record and not RACALMUTO. Also, I have never seen these names in my Italian family tree (these were not given names I've seen used in Racalmuto/my Taibi family... which doesn't necessarily mean anything, but they definitely don't fit in naturally...)

Anyone able to find any other Gaspare Taibi...?? You guys are really good at your research. I truly appreciate having an extra set of eyes (or two) in this quest :)
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

I also found Gaspare Taibbi's manifest. If you check it again it shows his destination as 38-40 Union St, Brooklyn to join brother Biagio. Angelo Taibi's manifest shows his destination as what looks like 28 Union St Brooklyn to join brother Gaspare. A possible connection or just coincidence??

Gaspare might have travelled under a different surname than Taibbi/Taibi since Angelo's birth record shows his surname as Rossinio while brother Francesco's birth record surname is Forforano/a. Gaspare might have been another son of Paolino Taibi or the son of Angelo's mother by another person.

Biff
lolauren

Post by lolauren »

Actually, Angelo's record looks like a 38 and not 28 to me (or is that wishful thinking?) :) Thanks for the help on noticing that. You're a good detective! (Also, you combined facts from both of my topics on this board to contribute... thanks :))

I could order Biagio's SSN application and see what it says.

Name: Biagio Taibbi
SSN: 116-12-3893
Last Residence: New York
Born: 28 Jul 1891
Died: Jan 1963
State (Year) SSN issued: New York (Before 1951)

I'm guessing this is the same person. Too bad the SS office takes so long.

You're right about it possibly being his mother's child, but it seems that last names are listed on that immigration record when they differ from the passenger. You never know, though...

Angelo's mother's name, according to his SSN application, was Calogera Facciponte. Both the first and last names were completely common in Racalmuto....

I wish our family stories + a 70 page written story by Angelo's son + the facts lined up! That would make this so much easier! :)
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Lauren,

You'll find some interesting Niagara Falls newspaper articles, including a picture of Angelo Taibi Jr. and fiancee cousin Angeline Taibi, by going to the following site and searching for Angelo Taibi (exact phrase), Angelo P Taibi, Angeline Taibi, Frank Taibi etc.
http://www.fultonhistory.com/Fulton.html

Biff
lolauren

Post by lolauren »

Again, you are amazing. Thank you so, so much. That photo (and those articles) will be very touching to my family. How did you find that site?
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

lolauren wrote:Again, you are amazing. Thank you so, so much. That photo (and those articles) will be very touching to my family. How did you find that site?
I'm glad you found the site worthwhile. I've been using the site for the past couple of years as have others on the forum to locate genealogical/historical information. The site adds additional newspaper articles every Sunday evening and has had over 2 million page views and over 124,000 visitors in the past 30 days or so.

Below is a link to another site which also has historical newspapers for Northern New York although it does not include Niagara county.
http://news.nnyln.net/

Biff
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Hi, Lauren

Not sure if you have these census records.

1920 census for Angelo living with brother Francesco and family

1930 census for Angelo with wife and children. Sister in law Carmela (now widowed) on same page

Biff
lolauren

Post by lolauren »

Yes, I have those :) I can invite you to my myheritage site if you want to see what I do have. Thanks for helping.... I really appreciate it.