Help translating a birth certificate document

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
abousall

Help translating a birth certificate document

Post by abousall »

Hello! this is my first post to this forum. Looks like there are many helpful people here, and I hope one of you can take a quick look at the linked document and give me a rough translation.

They concern my great grandmother, Pellegrina Grisafi who left New York in 1908 to travel to Bella in Potenza where she gave birth to her son Giuseppe Gennario. That much I know, but we are very curious as to what the rest of the document says.

Links to the document, hosted on imageshack, below:

Thank you in advance,

Paul

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Help translating a birth certificate document

Post by liviomoreno »

Here you are:

[align=center]Province of Potenza - District of Melfi
Municipality of Bella
Extract from the birth register of yar 1908 of
Gennario Giuseppe
N. 111[/align]
[align=justify]The year One Thousand Nine Hundred Eight, the 16 of November at 12:00 AM in the town hall.
Before me Avv. Vito Matone, Mayor, Official of the Civil State of the municipality of Bella, has appeared Vitantonio Gennario, farmer, aged 39, living in Bella, who has declared that 11:00 PM of the day 14 of the current month, in the house situated in Vico terzo Savonarola nr 4, Pellegrina Grisafi, farmer, wife of Donato Gennario, farmer, the first domiciled in Cattabellotta, the second in Bella, gave birth to a male child that he presents to me, and to whom he gives the name of Giuseppe.
The aforesaid declaration and this act were made in the presence of the witnesses Mariantonia Pacella, aged 57 housewife and Teresa Coniati, aged 50 midwife, both residing in this town.
The above birth was reported by the declarator because he is the head of the house where the Grisafi has given birth, and the husband could not report the birth since he is in America.
The present act was read to the attendees was undersigned only by Teresa Coniati, since the others assented to be illiterate.
Signed. The Official of the Civil State. Avv Matone[/align]

Faithful copy requested by the interested party.
Bella April 2 1909.
The Official of the Civil State.
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

Extract from the birth records of the year 1908.
Gennario Giuseppe
The year 1908, November 16th
In front of me Vito Matone, Mayor and Registrar of Bella, personal appeared Vitantonio Gennario, 39, farmer, living in Bella, who declared that at hour 11 p.m. of the day 14 of this month, in the house located in Vico Terra Savanarda nr. 4, from Pellegrina Grisafi (living in Caltabellotta), farmer, wife of Donato Gennario (living in Bella), was born a baby, male sex, that i can see and at whom he gave the name Giuseppe.
At this act were present Mariantonia Pacella, 54, housewife, and Teresa Coniati(?), 50, midwife, living in this Municipality.
Mr. Vitantonio ("il dichiarante") gave this declaration in his quality of head of the family due to the fact that mrs Grisafi gave birth in his house and her husband couldn't gave the declaration because living in America.
Read this act to the presents only me and Mrs Caniati Teresa undersigned the same, being the others illeterate.

Sorry for the poor english.

L.
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

Sorry Livio: i didn't see your answer :oops:

L.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Lucap wrote:Sorry Livio: i didn't see your answer :oops:

L.
What's important is that the 2 translations do not differ in the substance! :P
abousall

Post by abousall »

Livio & Luca:

Grazie tanto!

You helped me out so quickly, and so accurately, I thank you very very much!

Paul