Naturalization certificate

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
momo1

Naturalization certificate

Post by momo1 »

Does anyone know if the certificate of naturalization needs to be certified and how do you know it is? I requested a copy and thought it was going to be official and certified but it looks like only a photocopy. I can't find anywhere on the immigration site how to get an official certified copy. Is it possible to get one from the regional archives? My son read somewhere on the immigration site that it costs 300.00 + and takes 3 years but I can't find that. Also does anyone know where to start to get records changed? My grandfathers birth certificate lists his father as Benjamin when his name was actually Beniamino. Another issue is that the state of Illinois won't issue certified copies of birth certificates or certified marriage certificates that are older than 70 years and I need both of those from that state. I heard a court order may be possible but don't know where to start to get that. Do most people wait to get all there papers before making an appointment or make the appointment and hope they have everything?
CowryShells
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Naturalization certificate

Post by CowryShells »

We worked with the county in Illinois, rather than the state, on a marriage document. They were not able to make the requested change, but issued a certified letter of explanation.
For naturalization documents, ours were not from Illinois, but we contacted the court where they were originally issued. The court referred us to the state archives, where we received certified copies of the declaration, petition, and oath. Our certified copies have a raised (embossed) seal.
momo1

Post by momo1 »

Thanks for the info. Did the certified letter work for the consulate?
CowryShells
Veteran
Veteran

Post by CowryShells »

We have not had our appointment yet, but the Cook County clerk assured me that they do these letters all the time for the Italian consulates.

Just to clarify, the change we requested was to have the parents' names put on a marriage certificate, so it would be issued in long form. They could not do it, so they gave us the certified letter of explanation. It took several phone call reminders but it was finally done.
momo1

Post by momo1 »

I need to get a marriage and birth certificate from Illinois and there site says they will not certify them because they don't do it beyond 70 years. The consult site states they must be certified? So maybe a letter like you got would work. I will need to make some calls and hope that is enough. I may need some type of court order. It is the state of Montana that I need to change 1 letter on my grandfathers birth certificate. Montana wouldn't give me a certified copy of GF birth cert. but they would give it to my father. Do you have an appointment and at what point in the process did you get it?
CowryShells
Veteran
Veteran

Post by CowryShells »

We don't have an appointment, but the Detroit consulate allows walk-ins, which is different from many of the others. It's also scheduled to close next year, which makes things a bit tricky.