Email translation help

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
adamf
Rookie
Rookie

Email translation help

Post by adamf »

I just received an email response from the italian archives. I sent them an inquiry a few months ago about getting a copy of the "foglio matricolare" for one of my ancestors from Modena. I would appreciate it if you all would take a look. I'm not sure I understand exactly how they are requesting payment of 4 euros. Also, does this letter say where the request should be sent?? The part in parentheses could be an address but I'm not sure. Does this email seem to indicate that they have the requested documents for this person, or am I paying 4 euros just for the search?

Thanks for your help,

Adam

Prot. n. 2405/28.34.07/13.43

In riferimento alla nota in oggetto, comunichiamo che il preventivo rimborso spese per la scansione digitale del documento, è di euro 4,00 da versare all'ASMo (corso Cavour, 21 41100 Modena) con vaglia postale (causale rimborso spese per scansioni) .

Distinti saluti

IL LABORATORIO DI FOTORIPRODUZIONI
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Email translation help

Post by Tessa78 »

It looks like this is a note from a photoreproduction laboratory, and it is asking for the 4 euros (by postal money order) to be sent to the address in parentheses to cover the cost of digitaling scanning the document.

I think the numbers above it are a reference number for the project and should be referenced when replying. I would guess that they do have the documents in question.

Others here in the forum may be able to shed some light on the process, or clarify.

T.
adamf
Rookie
Rookie

Post by adamf »

Thanks Tessa.

As far as the postal money order, how is one obtained?? I live in Chicago. Is this something I could do at a currency exchange type place??

If anyone has experience with this, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Thanks again,

Adam
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Adam,

I've never sent an international money order, so I am not sure. Let's hope someone else picks up this string who has an answer to your question. In the meantime I found this information at CURRENCESOURCE.com

"An international money order is very similar in many aspects to a regular money order except that it can be used to make payments abroad. With it, a buyer can easily pay a seller for goods or services if he or she resides in another country. International money orders are often issued by a buyer's bank and bought in the currency that the seller accepts. International money orders are thought to be safer than sending currency through the post because there are various forms of identification required to cash an international money order, often including a signature and a form of photo identification.

When purchasing an international money order, it is important to ensure that the specific type of money order is acceptable in the destination country. Several countries are very strict that the money order be on pink and yellow paper and have the words "international postal money order." In particular, the Japan Post (one of the largest banking institutions in the world) requires these features. Most other countries have taken this as a standard when there is any doubt of a document's authenticity."

Hope it helps...

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

OOPS... website address is:

CURRENCYSOURCE.com
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Hi, I have sent Moneygram Money Orders quite successfully. I think the problem may be that it needs to be sent to an individuals name (which is noted in your email). Just reply back with the MoneyGram number for pickup.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
adamf
Rookie
Rookie

Post by adamf »

So does the email say to make out the money order to the Archivo di Stato di Modena (ASMo)?? I could email them back and ask for a specific contact name. I'm not familiar enough with money orders to know if you can send them to a business office or not. Let me know what you all think.

Also, is this the correct format for the address listed in the email??

Archivo di Stato di Modena
Corso Cavour, 21
MODENA 41100
Italy
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

As for the money order, you would need the name of a contact person. If you email the Archives they will let you know who to send the money to.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Adam,

When I address mail to Italy, I place the Postal Code number BEFORE the town. The town is then followed by the abbreviation for the province. Since the town is also in Modena Province the address would look like this:

Archivo di Stato di Modena
Corso Cavour, 21
41100 Modena (MO)
Italy

T.
adamf
Rookie
Rookie

Post by adamf »

You both have been greatly helpful. Thanks so much.

Adam