Help please, with Italian word

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
gioalessi

Help please, with Italian word

Post by gioalessi »

Twice in the last few days, I have heard the word, "pizani' ... actually, I was called that. Didn't want to give away my complete and total ignorance, so I didn't ask what it meant- for all I know, I should have belted the old guy that called me that lolol

so what does it mean, and do I have the spelling right ???

grazie

giovanni
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Help please, with Italian word

Post by suanj »

gioalessi wrote:Twice in the last few days, I have heard the word, "pizani' ... actually, I was called that. Didn't want to give away my complete and total ignorance, so I didn't ask what it meant- for all I know, I should have belted the old guy that called me that lolol

so what does it mean, and do I have the spelling right ???

grazie

giovanni
Pisani= inabithants of Pisa town
gioalessi

Post by gioalessi »

thankyou, hmmmm, has me confused. I also heard it in a song, someone being called 'your pizani', maybe I have the spelling wrong. Cannot find it anywhere in an Italian dictionary !!

btw, I saw your post about New Orleans, that is where my grandfather's family came to from Palermo around 1880

ciao
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

gioalessi wrote:thankyou, hmmmm, has me confused. I also heard it in a song, someone being called 'your pizani', maybe I have the spelling wrong. Cannot find it anywhere in an Italian dictionary !!

btw, I saw your post about New Orleans, that is where my grandfather's family came to from Palermo around 1880

ciao
Ciao Gio:
"pisani" means "inhabitant of Pisa town"
"Pisani" are an italian surname (also Pisano)
this are just! I'm italian and I know...
perhaps your word "pizani" is misspelled; "pizani" not exist in italian language...are an Pizani person living in Italy, but are version misspelled from original Pisani surname... please write me the exact contest (phrase with pizani word..)of "pizani" word..
regards, suanj
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Could the word be paesano? Meaning fellow Italian, countryman.

Debbie
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

The mnost complete definition would be coming from the same area which could include an entire province or anisolated section cut off by some other "paese". Peter
gioalessi

Post by gioalessi »

suanj wrote:
gioalessi wrote:thankyou, hmmmm, has me confused. I also heard it in a song, someone being called 'your pizani', maybe I have the spelling wrong. Cannot find it anywhere in an Italian dictionary !!

ciao
Ciao Gio:
"pisani" means "inhabitant of Pisa town"
"Pisani" are an italian surname (also Pisano)
this are just! I'm italian and I know...
perhaps your word "pizani" is misspelled; "pizani" not exist in italian language...are an Pizani person living in Italy, but are version misspelled from original Pisani surname... please write me the exact contest (phrase with pizani word..)of "pizani" word..
regards, suanj
It is possible that the word is 'paesano' ... ok, it was in a song by Julius LaRosa, 'Domani', the words go something like, "your mother, your father, your uncles, and your 'paizani" --- and then, I corresponded with someone from Palermo Provenza, and he referred to me with the same word. So I do think it is paesano, even though it was pronounced with an i

gio
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

ok, paizani is dialectal word , in italian just spelling is paesani, and means " inhabitants of the same city" city=paese, therefore "paesani" ok? suanj
gioalessi

Post by gioalessi »

suanj wrote:ok, paizani is dialectal word , in italian just spelling is paesani, and means " inhabitants of the same city" city=paese, therefore "paesani" ok? suanj
bingo!! that's the meaning, and the word. thanks much !!

gio
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

It also means area as for instance, some meet a person here in the USA and say he is from Puglia or Bari or Foggia and the other is from a village int he same province, he would normally refer to him as Paesano as well. This is a more realistic definition of the word but if you want to be orthodox then the Italian dictionary that I have says that the word for PAESANO in using "E UN MIO PAESANO, is "he is from the same district as myself". Its cutting a fine line here but either orthodox or popular use, a city or a district can be used for paesano. Peter