Help with a last name please...

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
angicaples

Help with a last name please...

Post by angicaples »

I got the death certificate of our ggrandfather and I was suprised that it has his parents name on it since he has been my biggest puzzle in our family.

The fathers name was listed as Charlie Bentvigenia, which we think may be misspelled and should be Bentivegna. (our ggrandfather changed his name to Bee in America and no one has known exactly how his name was pronounced or spelled)

The mother's name is the one I need the help with. It shows Angela Zorbbia as his mother. I cannot find this name anywhere. I'm going on the assumption that it is misspelled also. Since we didn't know anything about her, I can't even guess as to what it might be.

I thought that I would post here in the hopes that someone may know of a name that may sound or be spelled similar to this Zorbbia.

The obit for our ggrandfather showed he was a native of Carleoni, Sicily. I googled that town and only could find Corleone, so I figured that's the way he pronounced it to everyone so they had it misspelled. Lots of mispelling in genealogy, I'm finding!!

If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks so much!
Angi
Bette
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Help with a last name please...

Post by Bette »

Dear Angi,
What you are finding is that a death record is not the most reliable record for finding the correct spelling of the parents' names. The reason being, is that this information is given by the living, whose memories may not be the greatest. Also, like you mentioned, the spelling may not be correct, because this is what the names sound like in English. So, my recommendation is for you to find Charlie's birth record. Here you will find the correct names of his parents. Keep in mind that if he was born in Corleone, his first name would be an Italian name, possibly Calogero or Cataldo. If he was married in Sicily, his marriage record would also be more reliable than his American death record, because the bride and groom had to present their birth certificates in order to be married.
Good luck,
Bette
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

The fathers name was listed as Charlie Bentvigenia, which we think may be misspelled and should be Bentivegna. (our ggrandfather changed his name to Bee in America and no one has known exactly how his name was pronounced or spelled)

The mother's name is the one I need the help with. It shows Angela Zorbbia as his mother. I cannot find this name anywhere. I'm going on the assumption that it is misspelled also. Since we didn't know anything about her, I can't even guess as to what it might be.

Just my opinion, but until you have more specific information, such as the correct first and last name......I would not recommend sending a request to the comune.
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
angicaples

Post by angicaples »

Thank you for your help!

My ggrandfather is known to us as Sam Bee. He changed his name when he came to the US. There are no US records showing his Italian name. I have his birthdate, but just guessing that he was born in Corleone.

There are only 2 of his children left living, and they say they don't remember anything and never met his parents since they never came to the US. They don't even know if his name was Salvatore or something else.

As for his mothers name on the death certificate, I was just hoping that someone may have a suggestion on another possible spelling.

Thanks
Angi
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

If we could track down the original spelling, we could place him on a manifest.

Suanj, or another of our Italian posters may have more insight as to what the name could be.....

Where did the family reside here in the US? His wife's name? Children? Any birth dates you may have or even a year can be helpful....I've seen our members perform miracles here at IG....so don't give up yet!!

Do you know if he naturalized? What year he may have immigrated? All these little details will help our members in their search....

wldspirit

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

I did locate a Sam Bee in Louisiana, married to a Katherine, the only Sam Bee born in Italy.....and the following obituary, if this is correct note the name of the firstborn son, Charles....

ANGELINA THERESA BEE MIANO

Mulhearn Funeral Home

Sterlington Road, Monroe, L A

Funeral services for Mrs. Angelina Theresa Bee Miano of Monroe, LA will be held at 10:00 AM Wednesday, July 29, 2009 at Our Lady of Fatima Catholic Church, 3205 Concordia Avenue, Monroe, LA with Rev. Joe Puthuppaly officiating. Interment will follow at Mulhearn Memorial Park Mausoleum.

Angie was born on September 3, 1924 in Bessmay, TX and passed away July 27, 2009 in Monroe, LA at the age of 84.

Angie was a member of Our Lady of Fatima Catholic Church. She graduated from St. Matthews High School in 1940.

She is preceded in death by her husband, Mr. Biagio Miano; her parents, Sam and Katherine Bee; brothers, Charles Bee, Pete Bee, Mike Bee, and Johnny Bee.

Survivors include three sisters, Christine Bee Tauzin, Virginia Bee Wynn and her husband Bill, and Irene Bee Jones and her husband William; special godchild, Margaret Ann Goodrich; numerous nieces and nephews.

Pallbearers will be Skip Fife, Michael Gates, Tim Randels, Frank Cecil Etier, Ryan Matthew Etier, Roy Joseph Tauzin Etier, and Mike Bee, Jr.

Honorary pallbearers will be Anthony Quint, Phillip Leon, Dennis Gates, and Greg Wynn.

Visitation will be from 5:00 PM until 7:00 PM, with a Vigil Wake at 6:30 PM, Tuesday, July 28, 2009 at Mulhearn Funeral Home, Sterlington Road, Monroe.

The family wishes to thank Avalon Place for their care and thoughtfulness. A special thanks for all the love, care, and time Mrs. Vera Harvey spent with Angie.

wldspirit

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

The 1930 census:

1930 United States Federal Census

Name: Sam Bee
Home in 1930: Monroe, Ouachita, Louisiana

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1903
Birthplace: Italy Immigration about 1917
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Catherine
Race: White

Household Members:
Name Age
Sam Bee 27
Catherine Bee 20
Charlie Bee 6 10/12
Angelina Bee 5 2/12
Pete Bee 4 2/12
Mike Bee 2 3/12
Johnie Bee 1 4/12

And if this is the right family:

Texas Birth Index, 1903-1997

Name: John Bee
Date of Birth: 26 Oct 1928
Birth County: Jasper
Father's Name: Sam Bee
Mother's Name: Katherine Sacco
Roll Number: 1928_0001

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I believe that the mother's birth surname could be ZABBIA
best regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Michael31
Master
Master

Post by Michael31 »

www.paginebianche.it
cognome: Bentivegna
dove: Corleone
cognome: Zabbia
cognome: Sacco
cognome: Miano

90034 Corleone (PA)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francesco_Bentivegna
http://boards.ancestry.ca/surnames.bent ... .1/mb.ashx
http://cognomiitaliani.org/cognomi/cognomi0002en.htm
Michael31
Master
Master

Post by Michael31 »

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The full list of potential surnames are Bentivegna, Bentivegni and Bentivega. In additon the spelling could be Bentivogli, Bentivoglio

Using the Corleone existing surnames is most likely the correct spelling. Going thru www.paginebianche for Corleone and seeing what spelling exists in Corleone is the best way to go. Water finds its own level and so the same goes for surnames. =Peter=
~Peter~
angicaples

Post by angicaples »

Thank you all!

I have all the information of the 1930 census and have started gathering the birth certs for everyone. I had found his wife on a 1920 census (before they were married and she was with her parents) in Bessmay Texas. She showed as single. Their first son was born in 1923 in Bessmay, so I sent off of their marriage license and a search between those dates. No luck in Jasper County, Tx. However they could have gotten married somewhere else. Gonna keep trying on that.

We belive the spelling of his last name to be Bentivenga. He always told the family that he immigrated when he was 17 with his father. I did find a immigration sheet through Ellis Island that showed a Salvatore Bentivenga with his father Vincenzo, from Corleone and leaving a wife/mother named Angela. The record shows that the boy was about 16.

I had figured with the naming traditions, that his father may have been a Calogero or another variation for Charlie, and his mother may have been an Angela or Angelina as his first 2 children are named that and those names are not on his wifes side.

Thank you for the Zabbia! I'll add that to my possible name spellings.

I really appreciate everyones help and suggestions!!

Angi
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Bentivegna is a name found in Corleone, so is Zabbia.

http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/cognomi/cognomi.html
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Were the children baptized? Parish records can be another great source of information, you know that at least one of them was born in Jasper, another in Bessmay...not sure how big those towns are, but worth looking into.

http://www.dioceseofbmt.org/parishes/in ... l#northern

wldspirit

angicaples

Post by angicaples »

I will check out about the baptisms. Bessmay is a ghost town now. All civil records moved to Jasper County, will have to check on the church records. Thank you! That's something that I hadn't thought about.