3 docs. for translation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
oilman19
Master
Master

3 docs. for translation

Post by oilman19 »

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: 3 docs. for translation

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello Jim,

The death record is dated 1 February 1889, and says that Pasquale Mattora, 36, contadino, and Antonio Tamburrino, 36, contadino, appeared at the Town Hall of S. Maria Capua Vetere, to declare the death at 1 PM the day before at house on Via S. Erasmos, of Nicola Mattora, age 5, who was born in this town to Pasquale, and Maria Tamburrino.
Witnessed by Paolo Stellato and Raffaele Stellato.

T.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Thank you so much.

Jim
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Jim,

The printed part of the document is difficult to read, so I can't tell what the year is. The birth record for Pietro Ianniello is dated March 12th at 10 Am.
Appearing before the town official is Fioravante Ianniello, 24, contadino, to declare that at 4 Pm on the 10th of the current month (March), at the house at 5 Via Campania, to Antonia Martora, his wife, was born a male baby who they named Pietro.
Looks like the witnesses are Francesco Solemme (sp?) 35, contadino, and another (difficult to read), 43, contadino.

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

The year for Antonio Ianniello looks like 1912.
Presented on the 6th of January at 9 AM at the Town Hall was Fioravante Ianniello, 23, contadino of this town, to declare that at 3 AM on the 5th of the current month at the house on via S. Erasmo, to his wife Antonia Martora was born a male child and his name is Antonio.

Witnesses: Giuseppe (xxxx) 60, bracciante, and Francesco Salemme (sp?), 34, contadino.

In both of the birth records the official signed for the witnesses because they were illiterate.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Jim, it looks like the year for Pietro is 1913. I'm sure someone will double check these for you.

T.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Hi T.

You have helped me so much.
I so much would like to think that I have solved the mystery of my grandmother's name (Mattora/Martora) but the only conclusion I can draw is that her name got changed between her birth and her Matrimoni. If you say the 2 names in Italian, they can sound very much the same. I continue to believe that their illiteracy could have played a role. THose who know Italian genealogy better than I don't seem to think I am on the right track. I can't figure out any other solution.
Thanks for listening.

Jim
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Keep up the search... I'm sure you'll prove it one way or the other.
:-)
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Jim over ther mists of time changes in names occur not as a result of illiteracy (but could be) but as a result of mispellings since everything has been hand written until the turn of the century and its easy to understand that reading errors occur since eyeglasses were not prevalent until more recent times.

I would expect that every effort will be made to uncover the truth for any changes that may have occurred but in the end and lacking facts one would have to believe in the obvious conclusion that you have drawn

My surname has changed 6 times over 900 years and I have only one instance where the change was the result of the evolution from Latin to a Latin Vulgate...we would call it "streamlining" today. =Peter=
~Peter~
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Tessa78 wrote:Jim, it looks like the year for Pietro is 1913. I'm sure someone will double check these for you.

T.
Antonio was born on January 6, 1912 and Pietro on March 10, 1913.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Thank you for the confirmation. I believe I found them in those respective years on the microfilm. I wish the quality was better for those of you who are kind enough to translate these documents.

Jim
Jim