Monreale records on FamilySearch

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Monreale records on FamilySearch

Post by PeterTimber »

The only record for Benedetto Costa that I came across are about 5 in both Palermo and Agrigento and the only one in Palermo is birth on April 26, 1867 and whose parents were Andrea Costa and Antonina Cina. Other birth years were in 1832 in palermo and Agrigento Sicily. Sorry I could not be more helpful. =Peter=
~Peter~
defilip1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by defilip1 »

Thanks Peter... none of those are especially close. From the information I have collected, their eldest born, my great grandfather Giuseppe Costa, was born in 1847 in Monreale. So I figure Anna Salomone and Benedetto Costa, his parents, were married somewhere around the mid 1840"s, perhaps 1845 or 1846. They should have been born somewhere around the early to mid 1820's, if tradition is followed. Cheers.
Lagunasuz

Post by Lagunasuz »

I went to Monreale looking for information on my family who were from Monreale. Monreale is very small and has a very large beautiful church. I did not realize that you had to write ahead and ask for the information from the church so I did not get any information when I was there.
You can check out the names and churches by looking at the online phone directory.
Suzanne
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

More News from Family Search.org

https://news.beta.familysearch.org/node/1001
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
defilip1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by defilip1 »

Update. I was able to locate nearly all appropriate records on the LDS "Family Search" web page. It can be one terrific resource if you put in sufficient time. Cheers all.
defilip1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by defilip1 »

Just a quick update to let you know that indeed did find the records after a rather extensive search in the LDS online records for Monreale, Sicily. Thanks all for your help and support!
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Awesome - hope you are able to use them to your advantage.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
defilip1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by defilip1 »

To James Bianco ... I have revisted the link you gave for the maps and unfortunately it is now dead. Do you know of a replacement? Thanks, Louis
defilip1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by defilip1 »

Helpful but not exactly. What I would like is a good quality map with the parish name and the actual boundary. And, while we are on the topic, I am also looking for a detailed map of Sicily where I can zoom in to each province (with boundary) and each individual comune, with name and boundary. I have found many maps with the names of the cities. The reason for this is I would like to find a particular comune, say Realmone, and then immediately look on a map and find the names of each comune to the north, south, east and west. I need that to help decide where to look for records if a search of the records in the particular town of interest is not fruitful. Thanks so much! Louis