Nationality...Italian?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
anauman

Nationality...Italian?

Post by anauman »

I am trying very hard to find our family's country of origin. According to records, a Caustina Finicle and a Maria Finicle came to the United States and both were Italian. How can I determine if this is true?..and how do I know if Finicle truly is Italian? I know it is not a common name at all, but understand it could have been changed. Confused and frustrated...any help is greatly appreciated!
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Nationality...Italian?

Post by suanj »

anauman wrote:I am trying very hard to find our family's country of origin. According to records, a Caustina Finicle and a Maria Finicle came to the United States and both were Italian. How can I determine if this is true?..and how do I know if Finicle truly is Italian? I know it is not a common name at all, but understand it could have been changed. Confused and frustrated...any help is greatly appreciated!
hi,
if you means this 2 ship's manifests:
New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 about Maria Finicle
Name: Maria Finicle
Arrival Date: 25 Feb 1884
Estimated birth year: abt 1882
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Destination: United States of America
Place of Origin: Italy
Ethnicity/Race¬/Nationality: Italian
Ship Name: Burgundia
Search Ship Database: Search the Burgundia in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database

Port of Arrival: New York
Line: 30
Microfilm Serial: M237
Microfilm Roll: M237_473
List Number: 189
Port Arrival State: New York
Port Arrival Country: United States

well the surname is wrote FIVRILE but I think wrong also ( FIVRILLO??? FIORILLI??)

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 about Caustina Finicle
Name: Caustina Finicle
Arrival Date: 8 Jul 1909
Estimated birth year: abt 1883
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ethnicity/Race¬/Nationality: Italian
Ship Name: Roma
Search Ship Database: View the Roma in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database

Port of Arrival: New York, New York
NATIVITY: Italy
Line: 16
Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: T715_1299
Birth Location: Italy
Birth Location Other: creicco
Page Number: 18

abt Caustina, really Cristina, travel crossed, the surname is illegible ( seeming as. Finia???)and also the italian residence town is illegible.....
if you can provide more details maybe we can help better...
regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
anauman

Post by anauman »

Thank you so much for your help! Unfortunately, the information you listed is all that I have. I am not positive that FINICLE is Italian. We have no idea at all. I just did the search on immigration records for the surname and that is what I found, except there is also a "Marga Finicle" listed from Russia. The hand writing does not look like FINICLE though. ?? Another reason that I do not think I am italian is because most of us FINICLEs are fair, blonde, and blue eyed.
The farthest I can go back from the US is 1853 John Finicle - Perry County, Pennsylvania, US, Married to Elizabeth, daughter Annie, and brother Joseph (1861) - Joseph is my great-great-great grandfather. I appreciate all you have done to help me!
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

anauman wrote:... The farthest I can go back from the US is 1853 John Finicle - Perry County, Pennsylvania, US, Married to Elizabeth, daughter Annie, and brother Joseph (1861) - Joseph is my great-great-great grandfather...
Hello!
For reference, here's the 1880 census you mentioned, 3g-grandfather Joseph living with his brother John.
1880 Census Finicle

In the same area in 1870, probably Joseph & John with their parents
Everyone born in PA
Father Wm Fenicle was a land owner
1870 Census Fenicle
page 2
---

In this book you'll find references to the Finicle family in Perry County as early as 1810
Churches between the mountains: a history of the Lutheran congregations in Perry County By D H Focht
anauman

Post by anauman »

Thank you so much...this helps tremendously...hopefully, it will help with my search to find William Fenicle's parents, and so on....
anauman

Post by anauman »

Wait...it looks like the Cenus is showing the same spellling of Finicle...this gets to be confusing! thanks again!
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

No doubt you'll find several different spellings
I added a book link to my earlier post that you may enjoy.
If it's your family, they were Lutheran. In PA chances are they were German?
Do you need help with 1850 & 1860 census records?
Valarie
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

anauman wrote:... I am not positive that FINICLE is Italian.
FINICLE is almost certainly NOT Italian. There is not a single listing in the current Italian telephone directory, nor does it appear on this surname mapping tool.

I tried several spelling variations without success...
anauman

Post by anauman »

VJ - thanks - I am checking out the book now! Anything else you send my way would be great...wish I had time for this hobby! - ha!
Nationality is my goal....but yes, I figured german too...BUT I'm not sold on it.

Johnny - thanks for looking into this! I am very novice, but really want to take some information home to my grandparents over the holidays...so I'm digging the best way I know how.

THANK YOU BOTH!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I located a record for an AU....FANIGLA arriving on SS Roma at NYC on 9/23/1904 male,aged 30. The manifest is illegible but not the Citizenship#IX-61492 dated 3/9/1939. He was married and place of orign is MESSINA SICILY. =Peter=
~Peter~
anauman

Post by anauman »

Peter, Thank you! Are you thinking this is a relative (FINICLE)?
I apologize, but I am not sure I understand.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Most certainly since it would be pronounced FAN-IG-LA much like FIN-IN-CLE but I suspect that might might have originally been spelled FINIGLIA. =Peter=
~Peter~
anauman

Post by anauman »

thank you so much! - you have no idea how much I appreciate this! I'll keep digging!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

PeterTimber wrote:Most certainly since it would be pronounced FAN-IG-LA much like FIN-IN-CLE but I suspect that mit might have originally been spelle FINIGLIA. =Peter=
Sorry Peter but not at all...

Visit this site and hear it properly pronounced.

Something on the order of fee-KNEEL-ya, I believe.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Johnny there are no rules for mispellings or mispronunciation. If you wish to be phonetic then FEE-NIG-LA for Finigla and FEE-NEEK-LA for Finicla.

An American pronouncing Finiglia (FEE-NIG-LI-YA) would come out sounding like that phonetic spelling but as you know the Italian pronounciation is FEE-NEEl-YA and since we are talking about the USA thaty would not be correclty pronounced. =Peter=
~Peter~