Legalization of translated documents at consulate / embassy

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Legalization of translated documents at consulate / embassy

Post by Mulé »

The consulates have been less than responsive to my calls/emails. Seems like they are understaffed and overworked.

If anyone has any information as to the procedure and costs for having the consulates legalize translated documents, please post it.

In particular, I have documents that need to be legalized that originate from MD, DE, PA, MA, NH and one from the Department of State. My understanding is that I would need to take the MA and NH documents to the Boston consulate, the MD, DE and PA documents to the Philadelphia consulate and the Department of State document to the Embassy in Washington.

Which is the best method: mailing them the documents or scheduling an appointment/walk in?
Are walk ins possible or do they require an appointment?
Are there any fees involved?

I know I am asking for a lot of information. Please post what your experiences have been and I will update the thread when I hear back from the consulates involved.

Much obliged - TIA
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Legalization of translated documents at consulate / emba

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Why are you concerned about legalizing these documents? My understanding is that you only need to do this if you plan to take the documents to Italy and apply for citizenship (for example) there.

If you are applying within the US, you do not need to concern yourself with this process. You do however have to have most US-issued documents apostilled. Check with each state's Secretary of State office (google "massachusetts secretary of state" for example) for details on how to obtain apostilles.
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

johnnyonthespot wrote:Why are you concerned about legalizing these documents? My understanding is that you only need to do this if you plan to take the documents to Italy and apply for citizenship (for example) there.
Yup, I am planing on applying in Italy. I think I can manage it before my next opportunity in Philadelphia in February 2011! If I can not, I will attend my appointment, but I am not taking any chances. Who knows if jure sanguinis will even be an option in 2010 let alone 2011. I want to get all the documents 100% ready for any obstacle in Italy.
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

Heard back from the Philadelphia consulate. They can handle walk in requests for document legalization M-F 9-12. The cost via walk in per document is currently $11.40. This amount changes/adjusts every 3 months. Money-Order of CASH only, no credit cards. I hope this info is helpful to someone. They also mentioned that you can do the translations yourself, it doesn't have to be from an approved translator, the translations just have to be correct. ;)
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

That's great! I plan on applying through the Philadelphia Consulate, and not needing an official translator will really help (this will cost tons as it is). Just one question; I heard that the Philadelphia Consulate is planning on closing, is this true? I probably won't apply till 2012-13-14. You also said that Jure Sanguinis might not be an option, as I have been worrying about this too, what do you think the odds of that are?
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

I only read rumors in forums of the Philadelphia consulate closing. I have not heard anything from the consulate about this, but I haven't asked either.

Not that I am trying to rush it, I am just not a gambling man and want to get the application started before any laws change. Italy is the oddball in the EU allowing jure sanguinis, and it is my personal opinion that they will be forced to standardize their immigration laws to confirm to the rest of the members, or at least get pressure to do so, which we might already be seeing.

If citizenship is important to you, there is no time like the present. Good luck.
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

Mulé wrote:I only read rumors in forums of the Philadelphia consulate closing. I have not heard anything from the consulate about this, but I haven't asked either.

Not that I am trying to rush it, I am just not a gambling man and want to get the application started before any laws change. Italy is the oddball in the EU allowing jure sanguinis, and it is my personal opinion that they will be forced to standardize their immigration laws to confirm to the rest of the members, or at least get pressure to do so, which we might already be seeing.

If citizenship is important to you, there is no time like the present. Good luck.
Well, like I said this has been worrying me. I wish I could get it sooner, but this is going to cost a ton of time and money, so right away isn't an option. Oh well, que sera sera.
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
Mulé
Elite
Elite

Post by Mulé »

I know what you mean. I have spent tons of time with this project on and off for the last 12 years. I have only spent $500 so far for all my documents, searches and apostilles, I got multiple copies of items which ultimately cost me more, a multiple more. I anticipate another $400 or so for the translations and about another $300 for the legalization at the consulate. $800 round trip airfare and then maybe another $1000 for living expenses while in Italy (lodging/board will be provided by my relatives). So I figure about another $2000 bringing my total to $2500. Not cheap.