Looking to initiate the process for dual citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
rdecristo

Looking to initiate the process for dual citizenship

Post by rdecristo »

Hello, I was wondering if someone can help me. I am looking to initiate the process for dual citizenship with Italy and have no idea where to start to get the required documentation. Although this would be much easier for me if citizenship could be transferred maternaly, my mom was born September 2, 1947 so apparently that is not possible. Here are my current facts paternaly:
Great Grandfather was born in Italy and came to america in the early 1900's. He never naturalized in the US. My grandfatehr was born a US citizen but did not obtain his dual citizenship. My father was also born in the US. I am in the NY/NJ area (I have heard the consular requirements are different) From what I understand I need the following:
- Birth Certificate of Great Grandfather
- Marriage Certificate of Great Grandfather
- Death Certificate of Great Grandfather
- Birth Certificate of Grandfather
- Marriage Certificate of Grandfather
- Death Certificate of Grandfather
- Birth Certificate of Father
- Marriage Certificate Father

Does anyone have any suggestions of the best way to get the certificates of my deceases great grandfather and grandfather? Any help would be most appreciated.
Rich
vj
Master
Master

Re: Looking to initiate the process for dual citizenship

Post by vj »

Hello Rich and Welcome to the Forum.
You'll need to know your family's comune (town) of origin in Italy to order your records.
Do you need help looking thru US records for clues?
(US census, military registration, census, ship manifests)
Valarie
---

another neat forum
Italian Citizenship Message Board
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

another alternative dual citizenship website to start you off:

www.NIAF.org/citizenship/documents/faq.pdf =Peter=
~Peter~
Rodio
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Rodio »

If your mother was an Italian citizen at the time of your birth, you should be able to claim Italian citizenship. AFAIK, the 1948 date refers to mothers being able to pass on citizenship to their children--the mothers could have been born before 1948....the children have to be born after the 1948 date.