Success Story Cognome Serpieri

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
iolanda2
Veteran
Veteran

Success Story Cognome Serpieri

Post by iolanda2 »

An Italian with the surname, Serpieri, found one of my postings on the Internet. He sent the following email to me about 6 months ago. New information from the Comune of San Leone confirms that my Serpieri family does in fact have its origins in San Giovanni in Galilea.
I hope this story is an encouragement to you.

"For many years I spent my summer holidays searching documents in public and parish archives and so I discovered that the surname Serpieri comes from Ser Piero de Ventura born in Sogliano and created notary of the castle of San Giovanni in Galiea by Carlo Malatesta, lord of Rimini, in the year 1402.
San Giovanni in Galilea was a walled village on the top of the Calbana hill,
between Rimini and Cesena; here the relatives of Ser Piero began to be
called "li Ser pieri" and so this became our surname.
The last Serpieri of San Giovanni in Galilea was Aldino, dead in 1982; his
sons and daughters now live in other towns in Romagna.
In 1615 Giovanni Battista Eustachio Serpieri started from San Giovanni in
Galilea and settled in Rimini giving rise to the branch of our family which
I belong to.
I am firmly convinced. that your ancestor Giacomo Serpieri is e member of San Giovanni in Galilea branch because in Rimini archives I never
encountered the name Giacomo Serpieri, while, in the past centuries, it
appears quite frequently in San Giovanni in Galilea cards."
amerital43
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Success Story Cognome Serpieri

Post by amerital43 »

It's great that someone on the other side likes to do this research too! Great stuff for the Serpieri family.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The Italian surname dictionary concurs with the statement that Serpieri is composed of Ser Piero and was applied to several other surnames as well, such as ,Serristori, Serughi, Sernicola, Serianni. The application of SERE (from Latin Senior=anziano) to first names of high functionaries and persons of high regard was kept at a minimum.

These surnames are very rare and sporadic emanating from the Veneto, Emilia Romagna and Toscana while Serianni,Sernicola are actual southern surnames.

I add this as a background supplement to what you already know and received about the specifics of your SERPIERI surname. Thanks for sharing same. =Peter=
~Peter~
iolanda2
Veteran
Veteran

Post by iolanda2 »

Thanks Peter for the icing on the cake!
Iolanda
Serpieri

Post by Serpieri »

Hi my name is Marco
My mother's name is Maria Teresa Serpieri and lives in Santarcangelo di Romagna . She Was born in 1948 in S.Giovanni in Galilea.
She Had 3 sisters Alessandra who lives in Rimini, Irene (now in Milan) and Colomba (Rimini too)
My mother's father was Claudio Serpieri and his Uncle Aldino. Also 6 sons of Aldino lives near San Giovanni but only one male Michele(savignano sul rubicone) has son Sauro who has Serpieri surname.
My Grand mother Oliveti Attilia died in 2007 and her sister Emma (married with Aldino ) in 2011
We often stay in San Giovanni's home and we have many documents about the geneaology of our family. There are some documents also in Museum Renzi of San Giovanni talking About Serpieri .
Regards

Marco Serafini