Who knows what Tadols are or where the word comes from?

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
joe4227

Who knows what Tadols are or where the word comes from?

Post by joe4227 »

Something different for the time of year!

As we all prepare for Christmas, many of you are doing the traditional Christmas baking.

I am trying to trace the history of "tadols". Don't even know if that's remotely the correct spelling - but you all know them - those Italian Wedding Cookies, round, like a large marble. Many varieties.

They have a long history, both in Italia, and Central Europe. Many non-Italians call them Mexican Wedding cookies, some call them Russian Tea Cakes.

They often make up a take-away table at Italian Weddings.

Italian ones often with Almonds, Black Walnuts. Russian ones with Hazelnuts. Sometimes Pecans.

Some just call them Butterballs.

Would like to know where the word "Tadol" comes from and what it means. Is it some derivative from Dolce?

And anything about the history, or genealogical connections (recipes often in the same families for over 100 years!) :P
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Who knows what Tadols are or where the word comes from?

Post by misbris »

The name is taralle or taralli (plural) But that is not the name of the cookie you are talking about. These are taralli.

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/reci ... g-cookies/
joe4227

Post by joe4227 »

Nope, that's a whole other subject. :D

Not talking about taralli. When I say round, I mean spherical, like a large marble.

I have indeed seen recipes on line labled "tadols" when the cookie is, in fact a taralli.

These "Tadols" are also known as "Butter Cookies" and they almost a kind of shortbreaded...

We make one kind with roughly chopped nuts (usually walnuts), one with anisette (iced), sometimes they have sprinkles, sometimes just coated in icing sugar.

Will try to attach the photo, hope it works...
joe4227

Post by joe4227 »

Nope, can't get the picture to load. Anybody?
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

I think I know what you are talking about. We just always called the knots, because my grandma rolled out the dough and tied it in a Knot, but I have seen others make them as round balls.

Is this what you are talking about?

http://www.recipezaar.com/Italian-Anise ... les-214498
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

joe4227 wrote:Nope, can't get the picture to load. Anybody?
Try this Google Image search
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

joe4227

Post by joe4227 »

Yes, the two examples from misbris are in this family.

I had never seen the "Love Knot" style, but I have seen the bows, sometimes a "Q" or an "M". But not the doughnut-style dough. Like these, almost a "shortbread".

I grew up in Niagara Falls, Canada. Relatives on both sides of the border - all make them round, the size of large Marble.

Anybody know anything about that word Tadol?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Joe I need the regional dialect that Tadol emanates from so that I can consult the dialect dictionary. =Peter=
~Peter~
joe4227

Post by joe4227 »

PeterTimber wrote:Joe I need the regional dialect that Tadol emanates from so that I can consult the dialect dictionary. =Peter=
Peter - Afraid I don't know! We don't even know for sure it's Italian (unless it's a contraction from Dolce).

Our family is from Lauro and Auletta, in the shadow of Vesuvio. But this tradition is widely spread, and not just in Italy. Everywhere from Russia to Sweden to Mexico.

Indeed, there are articles on the Italian Wedding Cookie Tradition on the web.

Only Italians seem to use the name Tadols, though, and strangely - mainly ones I have heard from from New Jersey, New York, and Ontario! Russians call them Tea Cakes, Mexicans call them Wedding Cookies, other names in Scandanavia.

Of course those Italian and Sicilian fishermen wintered up north when they had to!

I think these have been "family" recipes for only two generations (and here in Canada) but were acquired from other Paisanos in the area. Niagara Region has Italians from every part of Italy!

If I had to guess, I might say Calabrese, or Salernoese?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Tadol is defined in Campania dialect as CIAMBELLINA RUSTICA CON SUGNA E PEPE (lard and pepper). =Peter=
~Peter~
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Yes, Peter,

The first recipe I posted was for Taralli (tadal) from Campania, which is a savory ring made with pepper, first boiled and then baked.
But Joe is giving that same name to cookies my family call knots. Joe's family makes them as a ball instead of a knot. We are trying to find out the Italian name for these cookies.

http://images.google.com/images?q=itali ... CB8QsAQwAw
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I took a quick look and soon realized its not a NY thing you normally buy in a local Pasticceria. We already did our xmas shopping for the eve soI will have to make a stop as soon as I pass one....if there is a spot open to park since between now and the eve all the fish stores, salumerias and pasticcerias are jammed from early AM to late at night. ==Peter=
~Peter~
LinJ47
Rookie
Rookie

Post by LinJ47 »

Hey Guys,

Never mind the pictures, those cookies look delicious! Can someone post the recipe!?!?

Thanks,
Linda @ The Jersey Shore
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Linda and the Jersey Shore (sigh! any available rooms for rent oceanside near crashing waves?) Go to www.friendseat.com/knot-cookies-recipe =Peter=
~Peter~