Cassell

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Cassell

Cassell

Post by Cassell »

Hello,

I am in search of my Cassell line from Italy, believed to have been in Naples, Italy. My great-grandfather was Domenico Francisco. His father was Pasquale or Paschale Cassell (unsure of correct itilian spelling) , mother was Maria Edmondi?. I am looking for any help on finding my ancestors to continue my family tree.
Thank you to anyone that can assist me :)
Carol Cassell
DeliBoy
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Cassell

Post by DeliBoy »

Just a note on the spelling; Pasquale and Francesco are the typical forms of these names.
I would hypothesise that your surname has also been changed somewhere along the line. Purely going by the phone book, www.paginebianche.it, in Napoli there are 34 Caselli and no Cassell or Casselli or anything else similar I tried.

I hope that helps.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

If you know for sure the family comes from the Naples area of the Capania region thenthe correct spelling is caselli, howver there are three town in Emilia Romagna, Lombardia and Piemonte regions that have Casselli persons listed as residents in those regions. Please specify the town of origin so that you know where to go for your further research. Peter
pinevalleygirl

Post by pinevalleygirl »

Carol,

You didn't mention if your Mom was in the U.S. If she was what year did she arrive and where did she live? The 1930 Census records are available and are very helpful if the person was in the US before 1930.

Chris C.
Searching for ancestors . . .
Robibero, Robibaro, Cacciotti, Cianci, Iandola
Cassell

Post by Cassell »

Wow thank you all for ur post.
Sadly I dont know what area they all came from, on records here Dominick only stated Italy. He used many dates of arrival in the US. Changed his age alot lol. As for Dominick Wife she was born Canada. It was told to me by one of Dominick daughter (Who knows no info on where in Italy etc) that Dominck came to the states alone and had 2 sisters living back in Italy. Dominick died 1932 Death report says he was born Italy 1872. (unsure that this date is correct giving he was said to be 60 @ time of death in 1932 but when he married in 1929 he said he was 66).
I was hoping this would be much easier giving how kids was named in Italy (After parents parents etc. The name varyation dont help But I didnt think Pasquale would be all that hard to track :( I know that Dominico parents was both dead by 1929 when Dominick Married.

Thank again all for any help u can give me
Carol
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Cassell wrote:Wow thank you all for ur post.
Sadly I dont know what area they all came from, on records here Dominick only stated Italy. He used many dates of arrival in the US. Changed his age alot lol. As for Dominick Wife she was born Canada. It was told to me by one of Dominick daughter (Who knows no info on where in Italy etc) that Dominck came to the states alone and had 2 sisters living back in Italy. Dominick died 1932 Death report says he was born Italy 1872. (unsure that this date is correct giving he was said to be 60 @ time of death in 1932 but when he married in 1929 he said he was 66).
I was hoping this would be much easier giving how kids was named in Italy (After parents parents etc. The name varyation dont help But I didnt think Pasquale would be all that hard to track :( I know that Dominico parents was both dead by 1929 when Dominick Married.

Thank again all for any help u can give me
Carol
Hi: are this record:
--------------------
Name: Domenico Cazzell* (my note:*Cazzell/Cassell not exist in Italy;"zz" probable "ss")
Arrival Date: 18 Mar 1891
Port of Departure: Naples
Destination: New York
Place of Origin: Italy
Ship Name: Cachar
Port of Arrival: New York
Nativity: Traco
Line: 36
Microfilm Roll: 563
List Number: 333
----------------------
other record:
Cognome
CASSELLA

Nome
DOM.

Professione
LABORER

Istruzione
U

Luogo di origine
U

Destinazione
USA

Visto
Emigrante

Classe
Ponte

Porto d'imbarco
NAPLES

Nave
ALESIA

Data d'arrivo
5/2/1889
----------------
More about surname:
-Cassell not exist in Italy; exist Cassella: many diffusion in all Campania region; in Caserta, Benevento, Avellino, Naples, Salerno provinces ;but surname Cassella are an version of original Casella surname most diffused in all Italy;also exist Caselli..
- Edmundi/Edmondi currently not exist in Italy; I know not if in the past... sure exist EDMONDO very rare, diffused in Campania region, Salerno province near Naples(Napoli) province.... perhaps this details help you..
regards, suanj