Cannizzaro family from Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
cannmin

Cannizzaro family from Sicily

Post by cannmin »

Hi All,

I am looking for members of the Cannizzaro family having ancestors in Sicily and in the city of Catania in particular. My father's name was Giuseppe Cannizzaro and my grandfather's name was Mario Cannizzaro.

If you are a Cannizzaro or know of any please let me know. I would love to hear from you.

You can also respond in Italian if you prefer.

Thank you - Grazie!

Michele C. (Michael)
jstrez7

Re: Cannizzaro family from Sicily

Post by jstrez7 »

i think one of my greatgrandfathers sisters married a Cannizzaro, but from Sicily. Her name was Giovanna Barbaccia and this would have been in the late 1800's or early 1900's I believe they were married in N.Y. but not sure and i have no idea what happened to her I think her husbands name was Leonardo. i never even knew she exsisted until a year ago when i began a family tree project. Do you know these names?Thanks. Jackie
cannmin

Post by cannmin »

Hi jstrez7,

Yes, my family is from Sicily. I am related to Dr. Stanislao Cannizzaro who was a chemist. Also, my great grandfather was addicted to gambling and he gambled away his town called Cannizzaro in Sicily.

I don't recall the Barbaccia last name but that doesn't mean anything. Can you tell me anything more about your great grandfather's sister and her family?

My family is from the city of Catania in Sicily.

Michele Cannizzaro
jstrez7

Post by jstrez7 »

Thanks for replying- My ancestors were from Caccamo, Sicily. The sister I am referring to would be Giovanna Barbaccia born in 1885. Her parents were Andrea and Salvatora. The marriage supposidly took place in the U.S. in N.Y. but that is all i know. We did not even know that my g-grandfather had sisters. The Cannizzaro's first name was apparently Leonardo. I have been unable to verify this so far[ haven't found any marriage liscence] While living in N.Y I do know that the Barbaccia family lived on Elizabeth street and Attorny street.I would love to see if any relatives are still out there. There were 3 other sisters too- Maria Rosalia and Angela and I have found Angelas descendants and I think Rosalia died coming over.If any of this rings a bell get back to me Thanks Jackie
msebastian10

Post by msebastian10 »

my ancestors where from catania (fiumefreddo to be exact) and also messina.

I have a big gedcom file with all family names, ahppy to share with you if you like.
jstrez7

Post by jstrez7 »

great, I have a Gedcom on mine as well but since I have no proof that Giovanna Married Leonardo Cannizzaro she is not on it, I found the info on Family.search[although the name was spelled wrong]I was hoping I would find a Cannizzaro who could prove the connection for me, It is possible that the Cannizzaro who married Giovanna Barbaccia was not from caccamo since the marriage took place in America. Still, if we can find any common names we might be able to figure this out.Jackie
mazza

Post by mazza »

Hi

My father was Giuseppe Cannizzaro from Scordia Sicily. There is still alot of family over there. My father came to the UK in the 50's and spent the rest of life in Devon UK. My brother still lives there and I have moved to the USA.

I have been use to be to being one of the only Cannizzaro families in the UK and now here in the USA there seems to be loads!!!! Was in New Orleans the other day and Leon Cannizzaro is running for DA! Great to have a picture of myself under a Cannizzaro banner.

All the best
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

If you wish to see the surname distribution of Cannizzaro inthe USA go to www.gens.labo.net and click the American flag for such distribution.=Peter=
Cannizzaro

Post by Cannizzaro »

My great grandfathers original last name was cannizzaro,his mother was a catalano i believe..They lived in reggio calabria and came to ny after a big mudslide killed his oldest son in 1909..My grandfather had it shortened to canazon because of italian discrimination..Thats about all i know..
I was looking to find more history,maybe a family crest,etc..If anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated..Thanks.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Cannizzaro wrote:My great grandfathers original last name was cannizzaro,his mother was a catalano i believe..They lived in reggio calabria and came to ny after a big mudslide killed his oldest son in 1909..My grandfather had it shortened to canazon because of italian discrimination..Thats about all i know..
I was looking to find more history,maybe a family crest,etc..If anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated..Thanks.
Hello, we would be happy to help.
You'll need to know the exact comune (town) in order to find your family's records in Italy.
Do you have your family's US records?
It may help if you could start a new post with a few more details so your family stays separate.
(just click the 'new topic' button)
Thank you, Valarie
===

Possible records

For example, here's a Petition for Naturalization for a Thomas Joseph Canazon, formerly Antonia/o Cannizzaro born 4 Jun 1904 in Podargoni (Reggio Calabria). He arrived in NY on 1 Jul 1909.
Could he be related to your family?

from ancestry. com

(click here) Petition

and, with ship information from the Petition:

1909 ship manifest
page 2

1 Jul 1909, SS Duca Di Genova, Napoli to NY
lines 14-17
(possible naturalization/certificate of arrival notations for all)

Santo Cannizzaro 23, abt 1886 or 33, abt 1876
- last residence Reggio C, Podargoni
- in Podargoni, mother-in-law Catalano
- destination NY NY
- in US 1904-6 (Santo only)
- joining uncle Domenico(?) Catalano(?)
- born in Reggio C, Podargoni
Carmela Catalano 28, abt 1881
Antonia Cannizzaro 6, abt 1903
Rosa Cannizzaro 10 mos, abt 1908

special inquiry page

guide to manifest markings:
http://www.jewishgen.org/infofiles/manifests/
---

Santo Cannizzaro
birth year varies by 10 yrs, but it appears to be the same person
children's names on his Petition match the 1909 manifest

1904 manifest
---

1918 WWI Draft Registration Card
(unsigned)

Sante Cannizzaro 45
345 8th Ave
Manahattan, NY, NY
born 2 Apr 1873
employer NY Central RR
---

Declaration of Intention

Petition for Naturalization
---

Cannizzaro Family

1910 census
Home in 1910:
Granborough(?) Ave, rents
White Plains Ward 2, Westchester, New York

head Canto Canzico 35, abt 1875 IT
- married 10yrs, abt 1900
- immig 1904, Al
- laborer, Bronx sewer
wife Carmela Canzico 28, abt 1882 IT
- 3 children born, 2 children living
- immig 1902
son Tony Canzico 6, abt 1904 IT
- immig 1909
daughter Roslie Canzico 1 8/12, abt 1908 IT
- immig 1909

boarder Dominick Callalano 26
(may a 'Catalano' relative)
boarder Frank Casaleano 16
boarder Carmel Calargo 10 [16]
boarder Tony Marano 19

1920 census
Home in 1920:
333 West 37th Street, rents
Manhattan Assembly District 3, New York, New York

Samuel Canazaro 47, abt 1873 IT
- immig 1908, Pa (filed 1st papers)
- porter, railroad
Carmella Canazaro 40, abt 1880 IT
- immig 1908, Al
Tony Canazaro 15, abt 1905 IT
- immig 1908, Al
- packer, factory
Rose Canazaro 12, abt 1908 IT
- immig 1908, Al
Francis Canazaro 10, abt 1910 NY
Rocco Canazaro 6, abt 1914 NY
Anna Canazaro 4 11/12, abt 1915 NY
===

edit: added

Your family was probably referring to the 28 Dec 1908 Straits of Messina earthquake.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1908_Messina_earthquake
Last year was the 100th anniversary of this most destructive earthquake in recorded European history
Valarie
apiapibij

Post by apiapibij »

You wil find the name Cannizzaro on the website http://www.benvanrijswijk.com/fontigenealogiche.htm in:
cannavobattesimi1713-1748
cataforiodefunti1678-1699
gallinamatrimoni1810-1865
ssperatobattesimi1678-1693
ssperatobattesimi1611-1638
and in the two registers of notar Intonino Iero
Cannizzaro

Post by Cannizzaro »

vj wrote:
Cannizzaro wrote:My great grandfathers original last name was cannizzaro,his mother was a catalano i believe..They lived in reggio calabria and came to ny after a big mudslide killed his oldest son in 1909..My grandfather had it shortened to canazon because of italian discrimination..Thats about all i know..
Hello, we would be happy to help.
You'll need to know the exact comune (town) in order to find your family's records in Italy.
Do you have your family's US records?
It may help if you could start a new post with a few more details so your family stays separate.
(just click the 'new topic' button)
Thank you, Valarie
===

Possible records

For example, here's a Petition for Naturalization for a Thomas Joseph Canazon, formerly Antonia/o Cannizzaro born 4 Jun 1904 in Podargoni (Reggio Calabria). He arrived in NY on 1 Jul 1909.

from ancestry. com

(click here) Petition

and, with ship information from the Petition:

1909 ship manifest
page 2

1 Jul 1909, SS Duca Di Genova, Napoli to NY
lines 14-17
(possible naturalization/certificate of arrival notations for all)

Santo Cannizzaro 23, abt 1886 or 33, abt 1876
- last residence Reggio C, Podargoni
- in Podargoni, mother-in-law Catalano
- destination NY NY
- in US 1904-6 (Santo only)
- joining uncle Domenico(?) Catalano(?)
- born in Reggio C, Podargoni
Carmela Catalano 28, abt 1881
Antonia Cannizzaro 6, abt 1903
Rosa Cannizzaro 10 mos, abt 1908

special inquiry page

guide to manifest markings:
http://www.jewishgen.org/infofiles/manifests/
---

Santo Cannizzaro
birth year varies by 10 yrs, but it appears to be the same person
children's names on his Petition match the 1909 manifest

1904 manifest
---

1918 WWI Draft Registration Card
(unsigned)

Sante Cannizzaro 45
345 8th Ave
Manahattan, NY, NY
born 2 Apr 1873
employer NY Central RR
---

Declaration of Intention

Petition for Naturalization
---

Cannizzaro Family

1910 census
Home in 1910:
Granborough(?) Ave, rents
White Plains Ward 2, Westchester, New York

head Canto Canzico 35, abt 1875 IT
- married 10yrs, abt 1900
- immig 1904, Al
- laborer, Bronx sewer
wife Carmela Canzico 28, abt 1882 IT
- 3 children born, 2 children living
- immig 1902
son Tony Canzico 6, abt 1904 IT
- immig 1909
daughter Roslie Canzico 1 8/12, abt 1908 IT
- immig 1909

boarder Dominick Callalano 26
(may a 'Catalano' relative)
boarder Frank Casaleano 16
boarder Carmel Calargo 10 [16]
boarder Tony Marano 19

1920 census
Home in 1920:
333 West 37th Street, rents
Manhattan Assembly District 3, New York, New York

Samuel Canazaro 47, abt 1873 IT
- immig 1908, Pa (filed 1st papers)
- porter, railroad
Carmella Canazaro 40, abt 1880 IT
- immig 1908, Al
Tony Canazaro 15, abt 1905 IT
- immig 1908, Al
- packer, factory
Rose Canazaro 12, abt 1908 IT
- immig 1908, Al
Francis Canazaro 10, abt 1910 NY
Rocco Canazaro 6, abt 1914 NY
Anna Canazaro 4 11/12, abt 1915 NY
===

edit: added

Your family was probably referring to the 28 Dec 1908 Straits of Messina earthquake.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1908_Messina_earthquake
Last year was the 100th anniversary of this most destructive earthquake in recorded European history
Valarie

I was unaware for a day that your example was indeed my grandfather..
i scanned thru all the info and i was a little lost,so i re-read and realized you nailed it right on the head :)
Thank you for the taking the time,its greatly appreciated..
My grandfather thomas lived till he was 93..his brother rocky passed a few years later in his 90's.They had info and great storys ,but i was a kid who didnt have interest..I feel there is much more to the name and history than i know..How do i take this further?can i,will i find anything interesting or enlightening?Im attempting to put the pieces together..Im currently looking into my irish side"Lafferty,Mullen,ryan,kelly" but its easier to find info..And bohdan or bohden/Killakowski on the polish/belarussian side is a mystery..Im excited with the info you pulled up and i hope i can put it to use.Thank you :)
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Cannizzaro wrote:...I was unaware for a day that your example was indeed my grandfather..
i scanned thru all the info and i was a little lost,so i re-read and realized you nailed it right on the head :)
Thank you for the taking the time,its greatly appreciated..
My grandfather thomas lived till he was 93..his brother rocky passed a few years later in his 90's.They had info and great storys ,but i was a kid who didnt have interest..I feel there is much more to the name and history than i know..How do i take this further?can i,will i find anything interesting or enlightening?Im attempting to put the pieces together..Im currently looking into my irish side"Lafferty,Mullen,ryan,kelly" but its easier to find info..And bohdan or bohden/Killakowski on the polish/belarussian side is a mystery..Im excited with the info you pulled up and i hope i can put it to use.Thank you :)...
I'm so glad we could find some US records for you!
If you need assistance with Irish or Polish family members we have forums that may be able to help on the right side of this page (under main menu)
If you are interested, you can review your family’s records from Podargoni on microfilm.
Valarie
---

Your nearest Family History Center has records for Podargoni from 1809-1910 on microfilm.
The cost is about $6 mo (rent), you’ll need to go to the center to order & view them.

Family History Library Catalog:
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library ... t_fhlc.asp

film notes for Podargoni

Topic Italy, Reggio di Calabria, Podargoni - Civil registration

Titles Registri dello stato civile, 1809-1910 Podargoni (Reggio di Calabria). Ufficio dello stato civile
---

In case you aren’t familiar with the Family History Center & Italian records

FamilySearch Home Page
Includes how to find your nearest local Family History Center
This website also has a free software download (PAF) to help organize your family information.

A helpful essay written by Trish, one of our forum members:
Steps for Finding Microfilm at the Family History Center
---

Italian Record Research from FamilySearch guides:
Italy Research Outline
---

Also from FamilySearch (PDF format)
Italian Records Extraction - An Instructional Guide
sleone1981
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sleone1981 »

My great-grandmother was a Cannizzaro. Her first name was Gaetana, but she went by Annie.

She was born September 1898 in Manhattan to Sicilian parents: Augusto/Augustino Cannizzaro and Maria Rosa Zorbo. My Leone ancestors (the family Annie married into) were from Sclafani Bagni, but as of yet I have no proof that my Cannizzaros were from there. Just family stories from my grandfather and great aunt that they were from somewhere in Palermo.

I have been able to get Annie's death certificate, but have had no luck locating a NYC birth record despite multi-year searches. She died December 29, 1981 at her home in Brooklyn. Family records?/stories indicate that Annie's father went back to Palermo around 1928-1930, where he died. But, not knowing which town or commune to write to, I do not know how to confirm that.

Long story short, the Cannizzaro branch of my family is a bit of a mystery. All I have to go on is a death cert. and a couple of census records.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

I found this 1909 shipmanifest with Rosa Zorbo age 41 and her daughter Gaetana Cannizzaro age 9 months coming from Caltavuturo,Palermo to see her nephrew Michele Zorba
and says on pg 2 they were born in Caltavuturo

PG1 manifest line 25&26
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0025

PG 2
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0025

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty