Boni Family - Mother immigrated in 1946

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
magicjhl

Boni Family - Mother immigrated in 1946

Post by magicjhl »

Hello, I am searching for my mother's family history in Italy. Her name was Elena Ines Boni. Her birthdate was 1-1-1920. She married James Rea January 1946 in Italy, and then came over on a boat in June of 1946. He was US army.

I have found her immigration record. I know she had a sister, and a brother, maybe more. I believe her brothers name was Guglielmo. The name we have as her mother's maiden name is Bricotti - but I don't find any records with that name.

She always said she was born in Rome - so I don't have any village names. She used to say she could see the colliseum from her home.

I can remember she received a phone call when her mother passed, I am guessing it was in the early 1960's...

If someone has information on how to go about finding other information, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Boni Family - Mother immigrated in 1946

Post by PeterTimber »

I suspect the surname is BRIGOTTI andthere are 3 inthe cityof Rome. There are 9 including the three for the entire regionof Lazio.

Go to www.paginebianche.it and put in BRIGOTTI in the first line and Lazio in the second line beneath and click CERCA for the listings.

There are 4 other city,town or villages having persons surnamed Brigotti in more northern areas. Research the surnames and advise if this meet with your research objectives and what further information are you seeking, if any. =Peter=
~Peter~
magicjhl

Post by magicjhl »

Thank you! Let me see what else I can find.
magicjhl

Re: Boni/Brigotti Family - Mother immigrated in 1946

Post by magicjhl »

Hi again,
I have been reading the posts. So many of you are sooo great at finding information.

If I don't have first names or siblings - what would be a good route to finding possible relatives in Italy? Do you suggest trying to write to people that have the same last name?

My mother always said she was from Rome. We thought we still had letters that my father had written to her - but unfortunately, they are not where they were supposed to be.

I am on ancestry.com - but because the US history starts with my mother, I haven't found any additional information.

She was baptised in the Catholic church. Are there church records that can be searched somewhere? Or would I need to have the exact church?

Thank you for help.
magicjhl

Post by magicjhl »

Hello again,
I just had another thought. My mother and father were married in Italy in January 1946. My father was US Army. Where would I locate this kind of record? My father was not Catholic, so it was probably a civil ceremony?

Thanks again for any help you can offer.