Question about cuisine and regions

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Question about cuisine and regions

Post by DeFilippis78 »

I am a huge cook and most of my recipes Ive inherited from grandmother, who taught me. I try to teach these same recipes to my children as well. But now that Im doing genealogy, Im wondering what region my "style" comes from. I asked my grandmother what side of the family taught her to cook, what region is she basing her recipes off of. And of course, being old, she doesnt know. She just knows they were passed down to her. But it can be Calabrese or Sicilian. Im just curious because I like to pass down knowledge and tradition to my children. So...is there specifics to this so I know where these recipes are coming from out of those 2 regions

Alicia
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Question about cuisine and regions

Post by misbris »

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Unfortunately there werent that many recipes listed by region. And what they do have, I dont make. Ill have to keep looking. But thanks for the link!

Alicia
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

You could take a look at the book "The Good Food of Italy Region by Region" by Claudia Roden.

T.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/italian_cuisine may also prove helpful. =Peter=
~Peter~
ventola

Post by ventola »

I have a great recipe for Italian Cookies that are fantastic.
They are from my favorite cookbook NORTH END ITALIAN COOKBOOK, written by Marguerite DiMino Buonpane. I don't know if I can post her recipe for them here or not.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

You mean "In Jennies Kitchen" Try google under that title. =Peter=
~Peter~
ventola

Post by ventola »

I remember many dishes that were made. This time of year it was always a good time with all the special breads, cookies and of course the ricotta pie, that we ate with rice in it, some people use grano, a skinless wheat berry of sorts, ans some use raisins and nuts. I love the rice pie the best. We had breads with dyed eggs braided or nestled in them.

I remember a lot of salted foods and olives and more olives. Cured meats were a staple in Calabrese kitchens. Most of the food was what we would call peasant food which I think is the best food of all.
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Okay Peter, can't find the book "In Jennie's Kitchen" Is there another title?

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
ventola

Post by ventola »

NORTH END ITALIAN COOKBOOK, written by Marguerite DiMino Buonpane

You can find it at Amazon, it is full of Sicilian and Calabrese styles of cooking, they are very similiar. This book does not have a huge index of recipes. The recipes I have tried are really good. It is basic cuisine. You can see samples of recipes I think at Amazon