Boni(Brigotti)/Rea War Bride Records

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
magicjhl

Boni(Brigotti)/Rea War Bride Records

Post by magicjhl »

Trying to research my Italian mother's family. Her name was Elena Ines Boni, born on 1-1-1920 in Rome. Her death certificate listed her maiden name as Bricotti - but Peter told me it was probably Brigotti - and there are still many with that name in and around Rome.

I have been reading the posts. So many of you are sooo great at finding information.

If I don't have first names of parents or siblings - what would be a good route to finding birth records or family information?

My mother always said she was born in Rome.

I am on Ancestry.com - but because the US history starts with her immigration, I haven't found any additional information. She arrived in NY on June 12, 1946 on the Vulcania. The Ship documents only show her name as Ines Boni Rea. It doesn't show any additional Italian family names.

She was baptized in the Catholic church. Are there church records that can be searched somewhere? Or would I need to have the exact church?

She and my father were married in Italy in a civil ceremony (I believe that was also Rome). The date they had given was 1-21-46 (His name was James M Rea - US Army).

Is it possible there are recent marriage (This century) records that I could request? This might also list parents names?

Any additional help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your help.
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Boni(Brigotti)/Rea War Bride Records

Post by misbris »

Hi, I am a little confused. If elena's maiden name is Brigotti (which is a fairly rare name)

http://www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/genera.html

centered mostly around Rome, where does the Boni come in?
magicjhl

Post by magicjhl »

Boni was my mother's maiden name (Her father's name). I do not know her father's first name. I would think her Italian birth record would show her as Elena Ines Boni or Ines Elena Boni.

All I know is that she said she was born in Rome. I can see that there are many Boni's also living in and around Rome also.

Is that enough information to search birth records for Rome in 1920?

Thanks!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Go to http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html and send to Uffico Anagrafic, 163 Tiburtinina 1163, Roma Italy (census office) and ask what information they can provide with the information you have and see what they say. =Peter=
~Peter~
magicjhl

Post by magicjhl »

OK...Will do. Thanks!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

the address for the anagrafici (census) peopleis Via Tiburtina 1163, Roma, Italy =Peter=
~Peter~
magicjhl

Post by magicjhl »

Thank you Peter. Can you tell me, I tried to find the birth record for my mother on this site:
http://88.59.143.158/ascs_web/index.faces

These records only to through 1900 - is there a site I can search that has information after 1900?

Thank you again for your help with this.
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

The site you're referring to is the site of the state Archive of Cosenza - Calabria region... You cannot find your mother's birth act there if your mother was born in Rome...
Peter told you the right address to send your request...
Good luck!
Laura
magicjhl

Post by magicjhl »

OK...thank you! Learning my way through all of this.

Thanks again!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Send a simply worded e-mail in english if you do not know italian to Anna Ferrando at the Demographics office for Rome at "Anna.Ferrando.comune.Roma.it" and perhaps she will be of some help. =Peter=
~Peter~
magicjhl

Post by magicjhl »

You guys are great! Thank you so much!
magicjhl

Post by magicjhl »

Hi,
I received this in an email request. Can someone please translate this for me? I think it is probably requesting an official form request...

Questo ufficio non è competente per fornire questo genere d'informazioni e non compie indagini di ricerca. Il nostro compito è certificare lo status dei cittadini, partendo da dati certi e di diretta conoscenza.
Le posso solo suggerire di rivolgersi al Dipartimento XIII - I^ U.O. Anagrafe e Stato Civile Via Luigi Petroselli, 50 - 00186 Roma

Thank you!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Assuming you have information concerning your father, you can request his marriage certificate from Rome; it will include his wife's (your mother's) date and place of birth and correct maiden name thus removing any doubt.

With that information in hand, you can make a proper request for her birth certificate which will show her parent's names.
magicjhl

Post by magicjhl »

That is good information. Would I request the marriage certificate from this same place?

Le posso solo suggerire di rivolgersi al Dipartimento XIII - I^ U.O. Anagrafe e Stato Civile Via Luigi Petroselli, 50 - 00186 Roma

Or is there a better place to submit this request?

I have both of their names, and the date of their marriage, and know it was in Rome. I assume it was a Civil ceremony, as she was Catholic, and he was not.

Thanks. All of you are so very good at all of this!!