Looking for ANY information on Saracco's maybe from: Co

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
bsaracco1

Looking for ANY information on Saracco's maybe from: Co

Post by bsaracco1 »

I am so happy I found this website! It seems to be full of useful information and experienced members.

I am trying to find any and all information at all about my great parents Frank Saracco, (born 1878 according to the 1930 census, born 1876 according to the 1920 census, immigrated 1902, naturalized 1919 according to the 1920 census) and Marie Saracco( born 1880 according to the 1930 census, born 1875 according to the 1920 census, immigrated 1904 according to 1930 census).

According to my research so far they resided at:

1052 Tree Street Philadelphia, PA

I have been completely unsuccessful in finding any ship records or manifests entering nyc or Philadelphia containing their names.

I found this information from from ancestry.com and footnote.com. I emailed the mid atlantic NARA office for naturalization records but no records were found. I used http://www.uscis.gov/'s online record search for for information about naturalization records and am waiting to hear a response.

I am still unsure of the exact town my great grandparents immigrated from. I had always heard through the years that they were originally from Calabria. The only proof I have that this might be true is from this website:

This site

Unfortunately for me almost all of my relatives have passed away so I have no primary sources left to contact for more information. . .

If there are any Saracco's out there or anyone that can help me find any more information about my Great Parents, Frank and Marie Saracco, I would be very grateful! Thanks!
juanminbar
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Looking for ANY information on Saracco's maybe from

Post by juanminbar »

ellis island

18. Saracco, Francesco M 34y M
0019. Pintazzi, Maria F 32y U
0020. Pintazzi, Donata F 32y M
0021. Pintazz, Lucia

good luck, john
bsaracco1

Post by bsaracco1 »

Hi John,

Thanks for your suggestion. I had come across this manifest before but I am still unsure if these are my grand parents.

For one thing it states that there final destination is Chicago. I know lived almost all of there lives in Philadelphia.

The dates of birth also do not match up. They are off by around 8 years.

They also had all of their children in Philadelphia there were:
Connie, Marie jr., Frank jr., Victor, and Bennie as shown in the attached census.

If anyone has any other clues or leads thanks!
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi:
World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
about Francis Saracco
Name: Francis Saracco
City: Philadelphia
County: Philadelphia
State: Pennsylvania
Birth Date: 21 Jun 1876
Race: White
FHL Roll Number: 1907764
DraftBoard: 40

no birth town only: Italy; wife Maria Saracco
maybe this record could be abt the immigration of wife and 2 children:
NOTARIS Chiara ( no Maria) and Giovanni( male) and Giovanna(female) from Cortale joining at husband Francesco SARACO in Philadelphia, PA

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0011
it could be your ancestors?

suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Have you ruled out Francesco Saracco on this "Record of Detained Aliens" maifest page? The rest of the manifest is badly damaged, but the name appears on the detainee list.

Since it appears that Maria came over on a different voyage, it is important to remember that Italian women then and even today travel under their maiden names. Any idea what Maria's birth name was?

[image removed to save space - johnny]
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
bsaracco1

Post by bsaracco1 »

hmmm. . . Very interesting. It seems like the more information I receive the more confusing this search gets. I need ask my few remaining relatives if they know of Marie's maiden name. I think that might help. Do you think it would be too early to send a letter to an archive or office in Cortale asking for any birth, marriage, immigration records for Frank,Francesco,Francis,Franko and Marie,Maria Saracco?

I do not know if I would be wasting my time and postage. . . Thanks for your help.
bsaracco1

Post by bsaracco1 »

HI Johnny,

I guess I can not rule out that Francesco Saracco on that Detained list. I am unsure as to what information that list contains. It doesn't tell the age or hometown of the detainees correct?
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hi!
Maria's maiden name may have been 'Notaris'
There are two death certificates for possible children of Francis & Maria on this site
FamilySearch Pilot

another possible clue:
on Ancestry there is a 1918 WWI Card for a John Saracco born 22 Oct 1898 living at 1052 Tree Street, who lists his relative as Frank Saracco at 1052 Tree Street

Valarie
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

bsaracco1 wrote:HI Johnny,

I guess I can not rule out that Francesco Saracco on that Detained list. I am unsure as to what information that list contains. It doesn't tell the age or hometown of the detainees correct?
The age is shown as 35 in 1901. It is the column immediately after the name on line 24. I cannot make out the reason for detention; see the image below.

I scrolled through the rest of the damaged manifests trying to find the main entry for a 35 year-old Francesco but without success. I will look once more.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

johnnyonthespot wrote:
bsaracco1 wrote:HI Johnny,

The age is shown as 35 in 1901. It is the column immediately after the name on line 24. I cannot make out the reason for detention; see the image below.

I scrolled through the rest of the damaged manifests trying to find the main entry for a 35 year-old Francesco but without success. I will look once more.
Oops! Stupid me. That is not his age,. but the page number of the main manifest. Let me look again...
Carmine

bsaracco1

Post by bsaracco1 »

Yes I think this detained Francesco is the Frank Saracco that was a bit older and immigrated to Chicago. Thanks for your help though.
EDIT: Never mind I just read that that number was most likely not his age
bsaracco1

Post by bsaracco1 »

vj wrote:Hi!
Maria's maiden name may have been 'Notaris'
There are two death certificates for possible children of Francis & Maria on this site
FamilySearch Pilot

another possible clue:
on Ancestry there is a 1918 WWI Card for a John Saracco born 22 Oct 1898 living at 1052 Tree Street, who lists his relative as Frank Saracco at 1052 Tree Street

Valarie

Those are great clues Valerie thanks!
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

edit: added
My apologies to suanj!
suanj :D had already found and linked this manifest in an earlier post

-----

Here we go
John is Frank's son last residence Cortale
1904 manifest

29 Feb 1904, SS Citta Di Torino, Naples to NY
lines 9-11

Chiara Notaris 30, abt 1873
- last residence Cortale
- destination Philadelphia PA
- joining husband Francesco Saraco at 10 E Christain Street NE Corner
Giovanni Saraco 5, abt 1898
Giovanna Saraco 3, abt 1900

Here's a very nice website for Cortale
http://www.catanzaroexchange.com/Cortale/
bsaracco1

Post by bsaracco1 »

vj wrote::D Here we go
John is Frank's son last residence Cortale
1904 manifest

Here's a very nice website for Cortale
http://www.catanzaroexchange.com/Cortale/

Wow all you have some serious reference skills! Is John listed on the above manifest or is it Frank? Sorry I am having trouble finding him, my head is spinning a bit right now with all of these manifests. I found John Saracco on the 1920 census. He must have moved out by 1930 which is why he isn't listed as a son on the 1930 census!
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hello!
I added some detail,
John should be Giovanni on line 10
Valarie