Giovanni/John Noto

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Giovanni/John Noto

Post by johnnyonthespot »

In the 1920 census, Giovanni/John Noto, then aged 38, was serving a life sentence (imposed in 1911) in the Maine State Prison at Thomaston. He is not listed in the prison census of 1930.

The 1920 census is transcribed as arrival in the US: 1901, but honestly, I don't know what it really says. Could be 1901, could be something entirely different.

I am looking for any records I can find: how/when he arrived in the US, what became of him between 1920 and 1930 (paroled? died in prison?), etc.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Giovanni/John Noto

Post by PeterTimber »

He arrived on 12/12/05 at NYC destined to his brother Philip in pittsburgh.=Peter=
~Peter~
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

PeterTimber wrote:He arrived on 12/12/05 at NYC destined to his brother Philip in pittsburgh.=Peter=
Perhaps, but I am not certain this is the same person.

What source are you referencing?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

ellisisland.org. He was born 1882 and arrived 12/12/05 making him 23/24 and fits age, name. =Peter=
~Peter~
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Did you check this one out? I think it says he is going to Lewiston MA. :?

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0025
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Misbris if its written as MA then it Massachusetts since ME is maine but if written out then fine by me. =Peter=
~Peter~
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Line 8 on this record is the closest match I can find based on birthdate (believed to be 1879-1880) and arrival date (1898-1901).

I can make out Last Residence = Palermo but would like opinions on Final Destination and Name/Location of Relative (see images below).

This record was transcribed as "Giovanni Fu Angelo Noto". In fact, the transcriptionist must have been chinese, as many of the records on this manifest have a "Fu" stuck in the middle of the name. What is it really?
Carmine

vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Giovanni Fu Angelo Noto
It is "fu", translates to:
Giovanni, son of the deceased Angelo Noto

Denver Colo
uncle Paolo Controscieri
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Biff83 wrote:Have you seen this?

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.ph ... 0.new.html

Biff
Actually, that is my thread. :)

I am trying to narrow down exactly where in Italy he came from and when he emigrated.
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

vj wrote:
Giovanni Fu Angelo Noto
It is "fu", translates to:
Giovanni, son of the deceased Angelo Noto
Learn something new every day...
Denver Colo
uncle Paolo Controscieri
Hmmm... My Giovanni was in Orono, Maine at some point between 1904 and 1911 and was most definitely in Jay (Franklin County), Maine in April, 1911. Denver is a long way from Maine.
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

I have found that Noto was in fact granted a full pardon on January 6, 1925. http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=32 ... 5%2C496826

Now, if I can just figure out where he came from and where he went after being pardoned...
Carmine

Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Here is more to ponder...

A 1910 Census for John Noto (at bottom of page). The age (28) and immig. date (1900) are close to your estimation. This census is from Denver, CO. What makes it interesting is that John is a car cleaner for the railroad. If he traveled with the car...he could have very well been in Maine at some point.

T.

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad22 ... census.jpg

Sorry... :( :oops: it seems that this John Noto is still at home in Denver for the 1920 census...so it can't be your Giovanni.... :(

T.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Tessa78 wrote:Here is more to ponder...

A 1910 Census for John Noto (at bottom of page). The age (28) and immig. date (1900) are close to your estimation. This census is from Denver, CO. What makes it interesting is that John is a car cleaner for the railroad. If he traveled with the car...he could have very well been in Maine at some point.

T.

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad22 ... census.jpg

Sorry... :( :oops: it seems that this John Noto is still at home in Denver for the 1920 census...so it can't be your Giovanni.... :(

T.
It was a good try.

I may never find enough absolute information to be able to tie him with certainty to a particular immigrant or a particular post-pardon resident. For all I know, he may have returned to Italy after spending the best 15 years of his life in prison.

I am hoping the Maine State Archives may still have some of these records. If so, perhaps there will be a clue or two within.
Carmine