Help translating Military Record please..edit

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
arist
Rookie
Rookie

Help translating Military Record please..edit

Post by arist »

http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab32 ... itary2.jpg
http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab32 ... itary1.jpg

Hello, I received my G GF's military record from Italy today. I'm applying for dual citizenship next month and hope this will give some clue as to whether or not he naturalized to become an Italian citizen (he was born in NYC in 1900) moved to Italy in 1904..served in the Italian army, came back to US 1924, naturalized after birth of all his children in the US. But not sure if he ever bothered to become an italian citizen during his youth.

I'm applying via my GG GF... to make a long story short, you can read my situation in this post here

Quite a bit of information in this document, so i'm not asking for a total translation...just if there's anything about him being an italian citizenship..

Thanks!
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Help translating Military Record please..edit

Post by liviomoreno »

arist wrote:....

Hello, I received my G GF's military record from Italy today. I'm applying for dual citizenship next month and hope this will give some clue as to whether or not he naturalized to become an Italian citizen (he was born in NYC in 1900) moved to Italy in 1904..served in the Italian army, came back to US 1924, naturalized after birth of all his children in the US. But not sure if he ever bothered to become an italian citizen during his youth.
Thanks!
IMHO Antonio Zaccardo was not supposed to bother to become an Italian citizen, he was an Italian citizen since he was born to Italian parents even if his birth town was outside Italy (NYC). If he was not an Italian citizen he he would have not served with the Italian army.

The document posted basically states that he served in the Artillery corp, in Tripoli (the current capital of Libya) from Mar 1921 to Jan 1923, he was then in Potenza until Feb 22, 1923 when he was discharged.
arist
Rookie
Rookie

Post by arist »

Thanks liviomoreno-

Would he have needed an Italian passport in order to serve in Africa?
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

I don't know...
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I happen to know of a case of a US citizen born inthe USA who was taken by his father back to Sicily prior to WW11 after a divorce leavinghis wife and daughter in NYC. The male child was drafted into the Italian Army with his American nationality intact, was captured by US Troops, interned and sent to a POW camp in Colorado.

He called his mother and she came to get him with his American birth certificate which automatically makes him a US citizen and was refused release and re-entry into the USA./ She brought the case to the US Supreme Court and our HonorablePresident Roosevelt and secretary of War Stimson had so many US Citizen German and Italian POWS interned inthe USA they violated the US Constitution, stripped the thousands of POWS of their US citizenships and had them deported back to Germany and Italy. They were fearful of releasing so many "ENEMY ALIENS" at one time. Just to let you know that the US Constituion inthe land of laws do what they want when they want to!! So long as they can se no political problems this is the Land of the free and a Nation of Laws....
=Pete
~Peter~
corrado
Elite
Elite

Post by corrado »

Actaully if you take up arms agistnt the usa in time of war, and you are a us citizen that is called treason. You could easily be hung for that! If all that happened was you lost your us citiznehsip you got off easy.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

....and what was an 18 year old boy expected to do if he was taken back to Italy as a boy, drafted as a teenager and who fled the italian army and headed home only to become a US POW sent to his mom in his real home in the USA as a POW and then deported back to a country that was not his in violation of his constitutional rights???? Treason is for lawyers and politicians not people with no rights nor freedom on either side..
Only one(1) guy got shot in all of WW11 because he wouldn't/couldn't fight any longer and even Eisenhower was forced to order it even though he wanted to grant clemency to a US soldier. =Peter=
~Peter~