Agostino Family History

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
cathieraby

Agostino Family History

Post by cathieraby »

I am trying to find out about my Grandfather's family. His name was, Salvatore Agostino and was born in Grottiera, RC. Thank, CR
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Agostino Family History

Post by ptimber »

It all on microfilm at the Family history Library of the Mormon church nearest your home. They have the microfilm of all the civil records of births,marriages and deaths of every person in Grotiera from 1809 to 1860 and surely your grandfather 's parents will be listed there. Your grandfather may also be listed if he was born prior to 1860. If not then you can write to grottiera for his birth certificate if you wish. Peter
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

http://www.naa.gov.au/The_Collection/recordsearch.html

Australian Archives...
I did a search and 37 results showed up... hope this helps.

Here are just a few

AGOSTINO Pasquale Salvatore born 4 November 1905; nationality Italian; travelled per REMO arriving in Fremantle on 1 March 1938

Salvatore Vincenzo Agostino [Italian - arrived Sydney per REMO, 19 Jan 1939

AGOSTINO Giuseppe Antonio born 18 March 1924; Agostino Salvatore aged 11; nationality Italian; travelled per REMO arriving in Sydney on 9 January 1939

mfjp
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Dear MFJP This poster is trying to find out about her grandfathers family in Italy....what does your information have to do with what she is requesting and my response to her??? Peter
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Dear CR,
The Australian Archives has lots of information about the Italians who immigrated there in the 1920’s. If you request further information on a particular individual, they may supply you with PARENTAL information as well. I received information about my own Grandfather - which confirmed who his own ITALIAN parents were, his ITALIAN birth town, along with a photograph - one that we had never seen before. The Australian Archivists were more than generous with their information. He did return back to Italy. After the wars, many Italians RETURNED to Italy, THEN to US, or Canada. By the way, you did not mention his birth date.

Dear Mr. Timber,

My response had absolutely NOTHING to do with your reply. This forum belongs to ALL who join, and we should have the freedom to reply (with RESPECT mind you), and not feel like we have to ask your permission to post substantial information.

I was just trying to help CR, and meant no harm.

mfjp

p.s. 37 HITS ON THE EXACT NAME SEARCHED....ISN’T WORTH INVESTIGATING???? Shouldn’t we explore all avenues????
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I was not casting aspersions upon yhour suibmission but its quality since the poster was internested in pursuing her familyh in the town of origin for her family and nothing else. Your submission was far from the point and seemingly far afield and hence my question to you. One thing had nothing to do with the other. Peter
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Before I joined this forum, I read many of the posts submitted. Most were very helpful with my own avenues of research. I think your posts have helped and offended some. I don’t think an ancestral forum is a place for arguments or insults or intimidation.

What if CR did search the archives I suggested, and did find reference to people from her ancestral town? What if the 11 year boy mentioned my earlier post was her Grandfather (or maybe a paesano)... it would certainly tell her who his parents were. You also ignored the fact that when I did a search, there were 37 hits with the name.

I totally disagree with your comments. I think all avenues should be explored. I hope the quality of my posts are substantial, and at least not REDUNDANT. Kindly, leave me be.

mfjp
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

cathieraby wrote:I am trying to find out about my Grandfather's family. His name was, Salvatore Agostino and was born in Grottiera, RC. Thank, CR
Salvatore Agostino are an name very frequent in Calabria region, and sure are some Salvatore Agostino emigrated in USA from GROTTERIA(Reggio Calabria)...for know some details, please read the ship's manifest about your Salvatore http://www.ellisisland.org/search/match ... &dwpdone=1
from reading are possible know some info (person contact in Italy, friend in travel with he and other..)regards, suanj
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I think that a genealogical question is not out of order and my only purpose was to direct your attention to the posters iqnuiry and not your subjective interpretation since I usually answer only what is requested. Peter
hgman

Post by hgman »

It's been over a year since this forum last had a message posted, but the information supplied by mfjp has been very helpful. Whilst browsing the web for family contacts, I came across his/her post and found that "AGOSTINO Giuseppe Antonio born 18 March 1924; Agostino Salvatore aged 11; nationality Italian; travelled per REMO arriving in Sydney on 9 January 1939" is referring to my grandfather and his brother. I am currently trying to trace my family further back to before they arrived in Australia but the language difference is a problem. Does anyone have any advice regarding retrieving records from Italy such as births deaths and marriages? I would be grateful for any assistance. Also, my great, great grandfather served under Giuseppe Garibaldi during the revolution in Rome - I would like to obtain further information on this such as his regiment (if any) and rank.

Thanks.
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

hgman wrote:It's been over a year since this forum last had a message posted, but the information supplied by mfjp has been very helpful. Whilst browsing the web for family contacts, I came across his/her post and found that "AGOSTINO Giuseppe Antonio born 18 March 1924; Agostino Salvatore aged 11; nationality Italian; travelled per REMO arriving in Sydney on 9 January 1939" is referring to my grandfather and his brother. I am currently trying to trace my family further back to before they arrived in Australia but the language difference is a problem. Does anyone have any advice regarding retrieving records from Italy such as births deaths and marriages? I would be grateful for any assistance. Also, my great, great grandfather served under Giuseppe Garibaldi during the revolution in Rome - I would like to obtain further information on this such as his regiment (if any) and rank.

Thanks.
Hi there,

Did you find the name of the town your ancestors were from? Did the ship's manifest you find give you the town's name? If so, please tell us and we can help with the next step.

Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

hgman wrote:It's been over a year since this forum last had a message posted, but the information supplied by mfjp has been very helpful. Whilst browsing the web for family contacts, I came across his/her post and found that "AGOSTINO Giuseppe Antonio born 18 March 1924; Agostino Salvatore aged 11; nationality Italian; travelled per REMO arriving in Sydney on 9 January 1939" is referring to my grandfather and his brother. I am currently trying to trace my family further back to before they arrived in Australia but the language difference is a problem. Does anyone have any advice regarding retrieving records from Italy such as births deaths and marriages? I would be grateful for any assistance. Also, my great, great grandfather served under Giuseppe Garibaldi during the revolution in Rome - I would like to obtain further information on this such as his regiment (if any) and rank.

Thanks.
hgman, for to obtain the civil records ( from 1860 until current year) you can write to:
Ufficio di Stato Civile
piazza Nicola Palermo, 1
89043 Grotteria (RC)
Italy

for to know the civil records from 1809-1860 you can see the LDS microfilms
regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
hgman

Post by hgman »

Hi there,

Thankyou both for the replies. My grandfather has given me most of the information, so it hasn't been that difficult. The information listed on this forum I already knew, but I have since contacted the National Archives in Canberra and where my grandfathers immigration details are kept. The listing on the forum refers to a document that was signed upon arrival in Australia by my grandfather and his brother. The date listed however, is wrong. He arrived in Australia on the 19th of January (Not the 9th). How is this for a good memory... Left Messina port (Italy) December 1938 at 6pm and he arrived in Sydney at 9pm on Thursday 19th January 1939.

So, anything prior to 1938 I am interested in. I can trace back to my grandfather's grandfather (if that makes sense!) only with names. I have death dates but no birth dates. Just out of interest, I would like to trace back their birth/wedding dates etc. I would also like to find my grandfather's birth certificate if possible.

Thankyou for the address for the Italian Civil Records. Can I write the letter in English or does it have to be in Italian? If so, I can arrange to do so.

Thankyou both for your help, I will keep you posted with my progress!
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

hgman wrote:It's been over a year since this forum last had a message posted, but the information supplied by mfjp has been very helpful. Whilst browsing the web for family contacts, I came across his/her post and found that "AGOSTINO Giuseppe Antonio born 18 March 1924; Agostino Salvatore aged 11; nationality Italian; travelled per REMO arriving in Sydney on 9 January 1939" is referring to my grandfather and his brother......
Thank you for joining the forum and for posting your message.

Here's a link that may help with form letters. Best to send in Italian...

http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... /index.asp

If any of your ancestors were in the USA... maybe some kind of a record could be found online...

If any of your Italian ancestors were POW's in Australia, a photo may also be located online as well.... just a little time consuming...

All the best to you in 2006
Maria (mfjp) :P
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

hgman wrote:Hi there,

Thankyou both for the replies. My grandfather has given me most of the information, so it hasn't been that difficult. The information listed on this forum I already knew, but I have since contacted the National Archives in Canberra and where my grandfathers immigration details are kept. The listing on the forum refers to a document that was signed upon arrival in Australia by my grandfather and his brother. The date listed however, is wrong. He arrived in Australia on the 19th of January (Not the 9th). How is this for a good memory... Left Messina port (Italy) December 1938 at 6pm and he arrived in Sydney at 9pm on Thursday 19th January 1939.

So, anything prior to 1938 I am interested in. I can trace back to my grandfather's grandfather (if that makes sense!) only with names. I have death dates but no birth dates. Just out of interest, I would like to trace back their birth/wedding dates etc. I would also like to find my grandfather's birth certificate if possible.

Thankyou for the address for the Italian Civil Records. Can I write the letter in English or does it have to be in Italian? If so, I can arrange to do so.

Thankyou both for your help, I will keep you posted with my progress!
Hi : if you have the probable birthyear of your ancestor .. this is very well for to obtain the civil records, because they can find equally .. regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH