Fondi, and DeAngelis

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
GreenMan415

Fondi, and DeAngelis

Post by GreenMan415 »

Hello everyone,

I stumbled upon this webpage while doing some work on ancestory.com. This is a great place from what I can see in assisting others in finding family history over-seas.

Reason I am posting is I am having issues finding any information on my family in Fondi, Italy. The webpage for the town unfortunately is in Italian and not speaking the language sort of hurts. The person I am looking for is Gerardo Deangelis, from Fondi, Italy born apx 1844 from the 1900's census record I can find as well as his immigration paperwork. However it stops there. Any help would be great or at least a push in the right direction.

The other question I have is in the US we have always at least with my middle name and my grandfather etc put the De together with the rest of the last name so it is DeAngelis. Is this correct grammer in Italy or should it be De Angelis with a space?

Thank you,

William DeAngelis Woodhams
vj
Master
Master

Re: Fondi, and DeAngelis

Post by vj »

Hello!
Of the folks currently living in Fondi
170 spell it D`Angelis
67 spell it De Angelis
6 spell it D Angelis
3 spell it D` Angelis
from this site:
http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/cognomi/cognomi.html
GreenMan415

Post by GreenMan415 »

Wow! That is cool information. Any tips etc on how best to tackle the Italian genalogy?
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

William
This may help you find your family's records in Fondi
Please excuse the length of this post!
Valarie

Your nearest Family History Center has civil records for Fondi on microfilm from 1809-1865 (birth, marriage, death)
The cost is about $6 mo (rent), you’ll need to go to the center to order & view them.

Family History Library Catalog:
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library ... t_fhlc.asp

film notes for Fondi
Topic Italy, Latina, Fondi - Civil registration
Titles Registri dello stato civile, 1809-1865 Fondi (Latina). Ufficio dello stato civile
---

In case you aren’t familiar with the Family History Center & Italian records

FamilySearch Home Page
Includes how to find your nearest local Family History Center

A helpful essay written by Trish, one of our forum members:
Steps for Finding Microfilm at the Family History Center
---

Italian Record Research from FamilySearch guides:
Italy Research Outline
---

Also from FamilySearch (PDF format)
Italian Records Extraction - An Instructional Guide
---

Three terrific books
to help you find, read & understand your records:

Italian Genealogical Records
How to Use Italian Civil, Ecclesiastical, &
Other Records in Family History Research

By Tafford R Cole
google book link

A Genealogist’s Guide to
Discovering Your Italian Ancestors
How to find and record your unique heritage
By Lynn Nelson
google book link

Finding Italian Roots
By John Philip Colletta, PhD
google book link
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Go to http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... earch.html

You need not know Italian since there are form letters for just about any record checks or contact you wish to make and most of it ifs free of charge save for postage stamps. We are here to answer any questions you may have to complement your knowledge of Italian Genealogy.

=Peter=
~Peter~
bonval
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bonval »

Not sure if you knew this or not but the seat of information for Fondi is through Itri - the next town over. Parish records will be found in each local church naturally but if you want to search through FHC films, Itri is the key - all records would be written in local offices in the huge vital records ledgers but the information was sent to Itri for formal registering. By the way, Fondi is a lovely town with some of the friendliest people! I love shopping there and the piazza is a wonderful experience on Sunday afternoons complete with strolling musicians! We sit for hours with espresso listening! We have extended family who live there and also our "best man" and children's godparents live there!
Bonnie(valentinoswife)
bonval
Rookie
Rookie

Post by bonval »

Another thought - when you are ready to translate, I found copies of all the normal forms online that are translation with blanks for the names and dates - you will become very adept quickly at recognizing the information you are looking for! The forms almost always used identical formats for each type of form - birth, marriage, death, etc. Your trouble will begin about 140 and back as they revert to completely handwritten old Italian, Latin!