No family remaining in towns of origin?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jt27
Rookie
Rookie

No family remaining in towns of origin?

Post by jt27 »

I'm planning a trip to Italy later this year, but when I searched for my ancestors' surnames in the Italian white pages, there are none in the original towns...is it common for entire families to leave a town over the years? I ran into this with nearly every surname.
Bette
Veteran
Veteran

Re: No family remaining in towns of origin?

Post by Bette »

I will mention my own experience. In one family, all siblings moved to the US. Going back one generation to the mid 1800s, part of this family had moved to another town nearby, to change occupations, I suspect. Later, some members of this same family moved to a larger city not too far away. In another one of my families, just about all moved out of the original town, but they are still in the same Region. They definitely moved for occupational reasons. So, my recommendation would be to search in a little wider area, perhaps the province or the region. If the name is uncommon, you have a better chance of finding someone. One thing, for sure, if you know your family tree, you have a better chance of finding someone. It also pays to mention your family surnames, since someone reading your posts may have information for you. :) :D
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Some people
1. Don't have phones
2 Use cellphones (which are not listed)
3 Phone is in the name of the wife

Here is a site that will tell you if any people are left in the town.

http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/cognomi/cognomi.html

Depending on the size and location of the town, many relocate because there is no work to be had. As Bette said, search the nearest big cities for possible family.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

jt27 wrote:I'm planning a trip to Italy later this year, but when I searched for my ancestors' surnames in the Italian white pages, there are none in the original towns...is it common for entire families to leave a town over the years? I ran into this with nearly every surname.
In addition to other comments, you would be amazed at how many American-Italians don't know the correct Italian spelling of their surname. Simple changes like dropping or adding a doubled-consonant or turning Z's into S's (Pizanno vs Pizano vs Pizzano vs Pisano, for example) can mean the difference between finding or not finding relatives in Italy.

Would you care to share your surnames with us?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Using an example from one of your previous threads, while there are no Depetrillo's to be found in Italy today (and most likely never were), there are 94 listings for "De Petrillo" (with the space because "de" is a prefix).
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
jt27
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jt27 »

Thank you for the insights! My surnames are Sorbo, Marrocco (or Morrocco), Gautieri and De Quattro. If anyone has any info, that would be awesome! I'll check out that link you gave for the Italian names too.
jt27
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jt27 »

Bette wrote:I will mention my own experience. In one family, all siblings moved to the US. Going back one generation to the mid 1800s, part of this family had moved to another town nearby, to change occupations, I suspect. Later, some members of this same family moved to a larger city not too far away. In another one of my families, just about all moved out of the original town, but they are still in the same Region. They definitely moved for occupational reasons. So, my recommendation would be to search in a little wider area, perhaps the province or the region. If the name is uncommon, you have a better chance of finding someone. One thing, for sure, if you know your family tree, you have a better chance of finding someone. It also pays to mention your family surnames, since someone reading your posts may have information for you. :) :D
Bette, how did you go about tracing your family's moving within Italy?
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

What town were they originally from?
jt27
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jt27 »

The Sorbo's were from Teano (and its frazione San Marco); Marrocco and Gautieri were from Pietravairano. I'm assuming De Quattro was from Teano since my great-great grandmother, Columba De Quattro married Andrea Sorbo.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Here are the number of people with those names in the towns. Unfortunately, that is it.

Marracco

8.46 Pietravairano Caserta
jt27
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jt27 »

Well, you found more than I did! :D Thank you!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

There is a dentist in Teano named Alfonso De Quattro. See white pages
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Also, three Sorbo's (including another doctor!) and one De Sorbo in Teano. Click here.
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

There are a small number (14) of Gautieri's centered in a small area of the Campania region (which includes Pietravairano). As someone in central Italy once told me, if we have the same surname, it is very likely that we are related.

Click here for details.
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

I also found three Marrocco's in Pietravairano. Since the total population is only about 3,000, that is not an unreasonable number. Click here.

When including the entire province of Caserta, the number jumps to 35. Click here.
Carmine