Dual Citizenship for a US born son of an Italian father-HELP

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Bogie

Dual Citizenship for a US born son of an Italian father-HELP

Post by Bogie »

I've been working on my duel citizenship for Italy for a bit.

I am going though my birth father who never became an American citizen nor did he live in the states. He still lives in Italy. When I was born he was on a travelers visa for the US.

I was born in the US to an American mother. Who lives here in the states. Her and my birth father married before 1983.

I went to the consulate in Los Angeles with all my papers and his. They said that I am a citizen with Italy since I have never renounced my citizenship with Italy. But then he says I need those documents from USCIS, NARA and the courthouse, etc.

So my question is why do I need that? If my birth father never lived in the states or left Italy, why do I need to prove that? Especially when the Italian consulate already says I’m a citizen?

Is there a way I can bypass the "no records" part of this? Cause it takes months to find anything. Even a “no recordsâ€
mler
Master
Master

Re: Dual Citizenship for a US born son of an Italian father-

Post by mler »

The consulate has stated that you are an Italian citizen based on the information you provided to them. In order to make it official, however, they require proof that your father never naturalized so, no, if you are submitting a standard jure sanguinis application, you cannot bypass the "no records" documentation.

If your father is able to register your birth certificate in his comune, there would be no need to go through this. You would simply provide proof of this registration--which is also proof of citizenship--and apply for a passport.
Bogie

Re: Dual Citizenship for a US born son of an Italian father-

Post by Bogie »

Ah ok. Good to know. He is registering me sometime this week. I'll let everyone know how long it takes for it all to be finished with.

Thanks

B