Cosco Family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
TamaraK

Cosco Family

Post by TamaraK »

I am trying to find out some information on my grandfather's family. His name was Frank Cosco (I am assuming Francesco was his full name) and he was born around 1881. He came to Canada around 1900, and I have found him on the 1911 Canadian Census records. I believe I have found him on the Ellis Island database as well. Once he arrived here he did not have any contact with his family back in Italy. He has 14 brothers and sisters that I am trying to track down. He was born in Cellara and was married to a woman named Saveria Porko.

I would appreciate it very much if someone could point me in the right direction. I'm not even sure where to begin. :oops:

Warm regards from Canada,
Tamara
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Cosco Family

Post by PeterTimber »

In 1930 census he is listed as residing in Hackensack, NJ with Nancy and Tony; Frank Cosco being born 1880. Paying website www.footnote.com has more details. you can have free trial week or pay by each view $2.95.
~Peter~
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Cellara is a very small village (less than 600 inhabitants) in the province of Cosenza.
You may write to the
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Via Roma 99
87050 Cellara CS
Italy

and ask for a copy of the birth record (Estratto per copia integrale dell'atto di nascita) of Francesco Cosco. In this document you will find the names of Frank's parents and their age and maybe it will include the date of his marriage.
Once you have Franks father name you can request a "Certificato di Famiglia storico" for his father, that will include all his sons and daughter.

You may also write to the Cosco and Porco families that still live in Cellara, see http://www.paginebianche.it/index_en.html for their addresses.

Form letters in Italian are available at

http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html

and

http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resources/letters/
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Tamara is it possible his first or "other" first name is TOMMASO COSCO since he was born in 1881 and departed from Cellara in 1911 which I suspect is what you allude to when you stated that he may have come thru NYC. Please advise if this is what you found too. =Peter=
~Peter~
TamaraK

Post by TamaraK »

Hello Peter,

I am uncertain as to whether or not his first name is Tommaso. I found Frank and Saveria with a son named Peter on the 1911 Canadian Census living in Ontario. I thought that perhaps I had found Saveria on the NYC passenger lists, but I think now that I am mistaken.

I'm getting the feeling that I'm not going to have too much luck tracking down his family. I have done most of my research in Scotland and England, and I know very little about Italian names. I see from the searching that I have done that most have at least 2 or 3 names and because I only know him as Frank, I doubt I will find much more. I am assuming his name is Francesco, but what his other names are is a mystery. I did find out today that Saveria's first name is Frances, so that might help me out a little bit.

Thank you to everyone who replied to my post. I will try and write to the record office that was suggested by one of the previous posts, but without a full name, I am doubtful I will have much luck. However, I will keep chipping away at it!!

Thanks to all,
Tamara
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Here is an interesting manifest. A Marcello Cosco going to Canada leaving a wife Saveria in Cellara.

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0019

p2
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0019
TamaraK

Post by TamaraK »

Oh my goodness..this could be him! He was going to Ontario!!
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Here is an earlier manifest for the same person travelling with a Giuseppe Porco.

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0011
TamaraK

Post by TamaraK »

This could very well be him. Thank you so much for showing this to me. I'll have to look at the Canadian Census records to see if I can find Giuseppe Porco!
TamaraK

Post by TamaraK »

No luck on the Canadian census. I'll have to start searching the US records. Thank you so very much for your help. I truly appreciate it!

Tamara
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

You are very welcome. Let us know if you need any further help. I found a Saveria Porco, but she came to the US as a child so I don't think it is the right person. I'll keep looking.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Does the name Francesco Bruno, Port Arthur)Canada) have any significance for you Tamara?=Peter=
~Peter~
TamaraK

Post by TamaraK »

When Marcello was travelling with Antonio Bruno, I went back to the Canadian Census record that I had found for Frank (Marcello) and guess who is living with him? Tony Bruno aged 11. On the ship's manifest Antonio shows as being 10 years old, so I am pretty certain that this is him! I can't believe this because I didn't think I would EVER find out a thing, but thanks to you, I have a fabulous start!!!

Thanks for taking the time to help me out with this!
Tamara
TamaraK

Post by TamaraK »

Port Arthur is in Ontario and is a large shipping area! I am still searching out Francesco Bruno, but at least now I know who Antonio Bruno is!
TamaraK

Post by TamaraK »

I have just received new information today that Frank showed up in Cellara with no family and nobody knows where he originally came from. He didn't have 14 siblings, but had 13 children (I have all the children accounted for). I had already prepared the letter to send to the record office in Cellara (thanks to Peter for providing the link), but I am guessing that I shouldn't even bother sending it. Any suggestions as to where I should go next? I really don't want to give up on this.

Thank you,

Tamara