Does anyone know the surname Giarchi?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
OrphanBoy

Does anyone know the surname Giarchi?

Post by OrphanBoy »

Hi all, I am trying to find out about the Italian surname Giarchi . Up until recently I was led to believe it was a name made up by the orphanage where my grandfather grew up but I have found other Giarchi folk who have left Italy for New York and Australia before my grandfather was born. Can anyone help? Thank you in advance
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Does anyone know the surname Giarchi?

Post by johnnyonthespot »

The name is actually extremely rare in modern Italy, with only three listings in the Italian telephone directory.

I don't know if it is an "orphan's" name, but do keep in mind that most orphanages used the same surnames over and over again. So, the fact that you found several immigrants with that name does not rule out the possibility that it was a name given to your grandfather by the orphanage.

Indeed, the others you found could have come from the same orphanage...
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
OrphanBoy

Post by OrphanBoy »

Thank you for your reply. Two of the telephone entries are my cousins but the other I have not heard about so may be able to help us. Is there a way to find out about orphanage records? Any help would be very much appreciated.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

To uncover the origin of the surname send e-mail to info@cognomix.it
This should lead us to the town in Italy and rthe orphanage where you resided as a child. =Peter=
~Peter~
OrphanBoy

Post by OrphanBoy »

Many thanks, I have sent the email.
deniseespo

Post by deniseespo »

OrphanBoy wrote:Hi all, I am trying to find out about the Italian surname Giarchi . Up until recently I was led to believe it was a name made up by the orphanage where my grandfather grew up but I have found other Giarchi folk who have left Italy for New York and Australia before my grandfather was born. Can anyone help? Thank you in advance
My maiden name is Gerace. It is pronounced Gia-rah-chi, in Italian. I would imagine that if it was someone Italian pronouncing it that way, and someone trying to understand them, and then listing the name phoenetically, that's what they would have come up with. But it is actually Gerace, pronounced Giarachi in a heavy Italian accent! LOL. It means "Cherry" and most Geraces are from the Naples and Calabria area. There is actually a town called Gerace in the Reggio, Calabria Province. I am really thinking that your grandfather's last name was Gerace. Another fact is that foundlings were given names, coming from the area they were born in or around. So all orphans, illegitimate children etc. from Gerace, Reggio, Calabria, obtained the last name Gerace. My married name is Esposito, and it's the same with the name Esposito. All orphans etc. were given that last name. It is traditionally said that the name was given to children in Italy long ago who were abandoned or given up for adoption. The institutions were churches or "foundling hospitals". When Italy became united, it passed laws forbidding the practice of giving surnames that reflect a child's origins.

Hope this helps!