Were there censuses in Italy?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Were there censuses in Italy?

Post by DeFilippis78 »

In my never ending quest to find my GG grandfathers birth town , I started wondering if they have censuses in Italy. Being he didnt come here until 30 years old and lived in Napoli, I thought maybe I can find him on a census and that might list a place of birth. But Im not sure if Italy has censuses, what info they have, and if they were around in 1890 right before he came here. Anyone know ?

Alicia
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Were there censuses in Italy?

Post by liviomoreno »

Italian censuses are not available for consultation.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The first census inItaly was takenin 1871. A new census is taken every 10 years. The 1871-1901 census are limited and only named head of household and occupation and the number of people in the house.

The 1911 and later lists names, ages, occupations, relationships to the head of the household, and birthplaces of each member of the household.

Census records up to 1991 are held inthe State archive of each province and are usually found in each comune's ANAGRAFE (registry office) with their avilability to the public differs from COMUNE to COMUNE

The only census records available on Mormon microfilm are just one province PARMA. =Peter=
~Peter~
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

But I thought they are on microfilm at the family search library and thats how genealogists find information? Is that something different?

Alicia
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Alicia you should go back and read what I wrote since Livio's response did not fully answer your question. =Peter=
~Peter~
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Peter,

So I guess this isnt an option for me for finding a birth town because this would be around 1890 or earlier and they wouldnt have that info? Is that what your saying?

Alicia
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Read what I wrote: " the 1871 to the 1901 census is limited to a head of household and occupation and the number of people who lived in the household. So the only name would be the head of household. =Peter=
~Peter~
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Alicia, there's no way to find the birth town through census...
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Ok, I was just hoping I found another route. Thanks guys!

Alicia