Email or Traditional Letter?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jt27
Rookie
Rookie

Email or Traditional Letter?

Post by jt27 »

Which do you think is better to contact potential relatives: email (if you can find it) or traditional letter?
Romano1970
Master
Master

Re: Email or Traditional Letter?

Post by Romano1970 »

I think both are fine ways of reaching out to relatives.

In my personal experience. I was lucky enough to find a church in Buffalo NY that had a very large # of people there from my grandmothers home town of Mussomeli Sicily. They intern gave me the name of a woman in Mussomeli who worked for the citta. I emailed her and she then forwarded my letter to living relatives of my grandmother.

Also, if you have the town name I would try looking in the white pages for Italy. I have the link and will send to you. What I did with that is found all the ( Ristagnos , my families name) and sent a polite generic letter to each family. Luckily there were only eight families left in the town. I was contacted back by only one. Which turned out to be my relative.

Facebook is also another way to reach out to people. After everything else was tried I did find more through FB.
Michael Romano

Chi va piano va sano e va lontano

Those who go slowly, go safely and go far

Looking for family history in Piazza Armerina, Aidone, and Musomelli Sicily.
Names researching: Romano, Nigrelli, Ristagno, Piazza Maida Triolo.
Romano1970
Master
Master

Post by Romano1970 »

Michael Romano

Romano1970
Master
Master

Post by Romano1970 »

Here is another good source for you to look up your families "Cognome"....surname. Type it in in the top left corner and hit enter and you will see the distribution of the name.

http://www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/gen ... l?cognome=
Michael Romano

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

one of the advantgaes of sending a form letter to a person or more than one person is that you can make it a round robin letter and just make copies of the one form letter and just change the addresses so that your objectives are achieved with minmum effort. =Peter=
~Peter~
jt27
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jt27 »

Thanks to everyone for the input! Michael, before I received your first post here, I had actually gone over to Facebook and did some searching there...great minds think alike I guess!
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

I personally think it also depends on the age of the person your contacting. I have email addresses to young relatives and thats how we talk. But when I try to talk to older relatives they seem annoyed because its lacking formality and they aren't down with the technology scene. They prefer a phone call or a letter, thinking an email is to casual.

Alicia