Nusco marriage records

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
say
Rookie
Rookie

Nusco marriage records

Post by say »

For the past year I have been making a database of the Nusco marriage records. I have about 2 years left to go which will cover the periods from 1809-1909. If you would like me to look up any records for you, please let me know, It would be my pleasure to help!
Sherry
gusmai
Location: viggiu', clivio, bisuschio, trani, ruvo, lavello, rapolla, nusco, palazzo san gervasio

Re: Nusco marriage records

Post by gusmai »

Hi Sherry,

I wonder if you could check your database for people with the surname Gaudioso. In particular, I have found an
Amato Gaudioso, born ~1760 in Nusco, died 1834 in Rapolla, Basilicata. His death record gives his father as Francesco Saverio GAUDIOSO, who died before 1812 in Rapolla. I wonder if Francesco Saverio might have had some children or other relatives who did not move to Rapolla but stayed in Nusco. Maybe there are marriage records after 1810 for some of his later children, for example. I'd appreciate anything you could dig up.

Thanks!

-- David

dfb@ucar.edu
say
Rookie
Rookie

Post by say »

I found in 1844 a Nicola Gaudioso, father Francesco and mother Maria Teta who married Maria Nicastro, daughter of Giuseppe and Anna Biancianiello. Do you know the name of the spouses of either Amato or Francesco? There are many marriage records showing the grooms father as Amato. This will help me narrow it down. There is also a Rosalina Gaudioso, parents same as Nicola above, who married an Angelo Nicastro, parents same as Maria above, also in 1844. Please let me know if this helps.
Sherry
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

That is wonderful Sherry!! I just did a similar extraction, more of us need to do this, SO few Italian primary source records being available in book form or online. You might want to drop an email to this wonderful lady who maintains a site which lists individuals or sites that have records for a specific town. It is arrainged by town, and then there is a link to either an email address or directly to the records (in the case of a web site).

Her link: http://www.sersale.org/comunes.htm

Great work !

Jim Bianco
say
Rookie
Rookie

Post by say »

Jim,
Thank you for the affirmation. I hope that all the work will help other in their search. I have now started on the death records data base. 2 years ago I nearly had heart failure when I received the film in for Nusco. I do not read Italian at all, let alone the hand writing you come across! If it were not for the help of people such as yourself in guiding me through, I would not have gone any farther. I thank you also for the link you sent. I will contact them right away!
Sherry
gusmai
Location: viggiu', clivio, bisuschio, trani, ruvo, lavello, rapolla, nusco, palazzo san gervasio

Post by gusmai »

Hi Sherry,

Thanks for replying so quickly. I apologize for not getting back to you sooner... I don't check this site very often (but will try to do better!)

The information I have on these Gaudiosos comes solely from the civil records of Rapolla, Basilicata (courtesy of the FHL). Amato Gaudioso was born in Nusco ~1760 to Francesco Saverio Gaudioso (mother's name unknown). He died in Rapolla in 1837 (birth date estimated from age at death, birth place also from death record). He married Rosa Vincenza GENA at some point before 1795 and had moved to Rapolla by 1795, as he had two sons born in Rapolla around then: Michele Arcangelo Gaudioso, b. 18 Jan 1795 in Rapolla, and Angelo Raffaele Gaudioso, b. !1797 also in Rapolla.

Based on this data, it looks like even if Amato and Vincenzo were married in Nusco (still a possibility) they probably moved with their whole family to Rapolla. So... there might not be much else relating to them in Nusco, at least in the records after ~1810. Maybe you could check your database to see whether there are any folks with the cognome "GENA" in Nusco...

Thanks -- David
say
Rookie
Rookie

Post by say »

I have not seen the name Gena in the records, and obviously the information I found previously could not be who you wanted. The records for Nusco only go back to 1809, so I am afraid he was probably married before the records start. I also have started the death records and do not see any Francesco yet, but even if I had, without more information it would only be a guess. I have no idea if Nusco town records go back further than 1809, and if so, could you write for a copy? I do know that church records go back much further, so that would be another source. Sorry I could not be of more help to you.
Sherry
gusmai

Post by gusmai »

Sherry,

Thanks for checking for the Genas. If you do happen to find the death of a 90 year-old
Francesco Saverio Gaudioso in Nusco around 1810, say (highly unlikely!) please do let me know.

I think the civil records began around 1809 in southern Italy because that is when Napoleon conquered the area and imposed his administrative reforms. Before that, as you point out, we "just" have the church records. These are of course great, but a little tough to get to at the moment!

-- David
say
Rookie
Rookie

Post by say »

Well, I have the death records completed from 1809-1817, and no Francesco, so sorry.... I wish there was a way to get church records. Let me know if you figure that out!
Sherry
ressa
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ressa »

Can you look up in 1831 the death of lucia ressa in nusco
dell'ustione dell'ustione dell'ustione
say
Rookie
Rookie

Post by say »

Lucia Ressa died in 1830, daughter of Domenica Ressa and Mercuria DellaVecchia. Wife of Angelo Canonico.
say
Rookie
Rookie

Post by say »

Just to update that I have now completed the death records from 1809-1910 for Nusco, and am now starting the birth records. So..... if I can look up any info in either of these 2 databases, let me know!
Sherry
ressa
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ressa »

whaT DID LUCIA RESSA DIE OF???
dell'ustione dell'ustione dell'ustione
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Ressa,

I don't know what the sources are for all the names and dates you have posted on your family tree, but it seems you have not been working from Original or microfilm records from Italy.

Death records from Italy are wonderful. All or most, provide the name of the deceased, their parents names including mothers maiden name. Spouses names are also provided. From how it is written you can also determin if these people are still alive.

In all the reseach I have done in records up to 1910, I have never found a cause of death listed. Tafford Cole's book on Italian Genealogy indicates causes of death are not listed.

Debbie
say
Rookie
Rookie

Post by say »

This is correct, I also do not see this information on death records.
Sherry