surname "DATA"

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
basimara

surname "DATA"

Post by basimara »

My mother's parents came from Rzeszow and her maiden name was "DATA". I've been told by a few people that the name DATA is actually of Italian Origin. I know back in the 16th century there was an Italian Queen Bona Sforza who married a Polish King. She brought along her cooks, artists, etc. Can you shed any light on this? I met a woman one of the geneaological sites, who told me she is a DATA and her family came from Piedmont region of Italy, Forno Canavese region (near Turin). I checked with a few other people and there are many DATA's there. Curious to know if I do have Italian origins on this side.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: surname "DATA"

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Indeed!

There are some 96 listings in the current Italian telephone directory for the surname "Data"

The name also appears in this listing of Italian surnames. The comment translates approximately as "Data is typically Piedmontese Turin, Forno Canavese in particular, should derive from Data, the name of a portion of the southwest zone of Forno Canavese"

Strange - the android on StarTrek-The Next Generation didn't look Italian...
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
basimara

Post by basimara »

Thank you johnnyonthespot, but I left out that Rzeszow is in Poland in my post. My family is Polish. Do you know if the DATA's in Poland originated from Italy?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Ah, I see.

Well, Data does not appear to be of Polish origin and it certainly is Italian, so it is reasonable to consider the possibility that Italians of that name settled in Poland at some time in the past.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The DATA surname is not Italian and must be considered imported and Italianized or remains as is imported). The earliest record inthe Mormon record is 1690 in Italy in the name of ANNA CATERINA DATA whose father is Pietro Antonio DATA. She later married (1711)Giovanni Bernardo Magnino Batisto.

The sunrmae later appeared in Modena andf other parts of Italy and most likely during the Spanish occupation of Italy (1559-1713) the surname wound its way into north eastern Europe and South America via Spain.

=Peter=
~Peter~
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

If it has been in Italy since 1690, it is an Italian name!!!

The poster wants to know if an ancestor had origins in Italy. The answer is YES, it is very possible.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

+-Dear Misbris Of course the name is Italian since anybody who resides in Italy has an Italian surname!!!! Much like O'reilly is an American name even though its of Irish origin. Where did you get the idea that the name was always Italian transcending era and epochs of thousand years duration?? =Peter=
~Peter~
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

My Dear Pietro,
That is not the issue and you know it. :wink: The poster wants to know if it is possible that one of her ancestors came from Italy. The answer is yes, so why confuse the issue.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I am clarifying it and the source of the name which later entered Italy and became an Italian surname as well.

Go to www.ancestry.com/facts/data-family-history.ashx

This establishes the Polish origins of the DATA name via German language and my adding information which you object to for some inexplicable reason astounds my intellect. How can you deny knowing more than you previously knew as being "a problem" for you or the inquirer???? =Peter=
~Peter~
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Your link doesn't work, and I don't have a "problem." Your adding information is fine, but it doesn't adress the poster's question.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Yes please go to www.last-names.net and inthe box put in Data and it will come up that route. Sorry for the problem.

Also check the message boards! warmly =Peter=
~Peter~